Alzheimer’s, dementia, and Parkinson’s are just some of the conditions that cause incontinence in over 200 million adults worldwide. The invention of leak proof diapers for adults really shed light to this issue that has been subject to stigma and shame for many years.
Fortunately, enough awareness has been created and many people have opted for the diapers for old age instead of pretending they don’t suffer from incontinence.
There are many types of adult diapers for the elderly that we will look at in this article as well as what factors you should look for when buying them to help you a long way in dealing with this problem.
Table of Contents
- What Are Adult Diapers?
- Why Use Them?
- Top Leak Proof Diapers For Seniors
- Diaper Rash And How To Get Rid Of It?
- Buying Guide for Best Leak Proof Diapers for Adults
What Are Adult Diapers?
Adult diapers are just oversized diapers or nappies made to be worn by adults suffering from incontinence, diarrhea, dementia and mobility impairment. They are made just like children’s diapers only with a larger surface area and a super absorbent polymer to absorb body waste.
Adult diapers for old persons are also worn by astronauts when they are up in space and even recreationally. There are many types and designs of diapers depending on their purpose.
Why Use Them?
The truth is, a human being goes through a full circle whereby they begin as children and eventually go back to behaving just like a child when they are old…
Adult incontinence in elderly is one such instance because their ability to control their bladder or their mind becomes non-existent. Other reasons why elderly people need adult pampers include;
When a person is sick physically or mentally, they may not be able to control their waste faculties.
Diseases like Alzheimer’s, dementia and others completely render the patient useless and they are no longer in control of any part of their body.
With age come changes in the body and mind. Even without the occurrence of any disease, a person who is very old can become senile or immobile which means they can’t go to the toilet. Diapers for seniors help such people to live their few remaining days with dignity.
Loss Of Mobility
This can occur if you have been involved in an accident rendering you immobile, or you can’t move because of surgery, progressed arthritis or an injury.
In such instances, you need an adult diaper until you recover or other measures are taken to help you use the rest room.
Loss Of Bladder Control
Loss of bladder control is more common in women after several pregnancies and giving birth.
Gravity and other causes make the reflexes that control waste passage to relax all the time so you can’t hold it in.
When the pelvic muscle and bladder weaken, it is easy for urine to come out uncontrollably when you sneeze, cough or make any movement.
Top Leak Proof Diapers For Seniors
Finding the right style of diapers for seniors is important. Just like infants, you may have to give a few styles a try until you find the one that is right.
1. For Men
- Incontinence underwear for men with Trusted Protection that instantly locks away wetness and odors with super absorbent material and our most comfortable fabric for ultimate performance
- Premium and underwear-like with a stretch waistband for a secure fit and comfortable tailored leg elastics to help prevent leaks
- Super soft, breathable cotton-like material in a sleek, masculine brief that is comfortable, durable and discreet under clothing, unlike bulky adult diapers
Adult diapers for men are usually narrower in the middle and wide at the end for better absorbency and comfortable fit.
Men require more absorbency on the front part and most of their special diapers are designed to look like men’s underwear.
These diapers for senior citizens are suitable for men who feel a bit shy about wearing adult diapers and they are very good at reducing accidents.
2. For Women
- Material absorbs immediately providing long lasting dryness and a more comfortable** experience, so you can go about your day worry-free
- Form-fitting elastic strands for a smooth, discreet fit under clothing that are flexible to move with you, unlike bulky adult diapers
- Unbelievably soft bladder incontinence or postpartum incontinence underwear with odor control in a feminine blush color, 3 designs, and has a SureFit waistband for a comfortable underwear-like fit
Women diapers on the other hand are made to be more absorbent at the bottom and tighter toward the legs.
Most of them look and feel just like a woman’s panty and they are comfortable and light under your clothes.
Some diapers for old lady are in form of incontinence pads that stick on the undergarment and just cover the vulva for those women with light incontinence issue.
3. Disposable Diapers
- Premium OverNight Disposable Absorbent Underwear (sometimes called pull-on or pull-up diapers) are designed for maximum levels of incontinence (20 oz to 34 oz capacity varying by size) allowing wearer uninterrupted sleep or confidence during long airplane flights
- Pull-on style product with tear-away side seams for easy removal; Available in six convenient sizes: Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large (XL), and 2X-Large (XXL)
- Comfortable, breathable sides and a full-rise waist panel provide a snug fit; Latex-free
This is a highly absorbent diaper featuring cloth like lining and water-proof exterior and it is thrown away after use.
Adult disposable diapers have the ability to contain a lot of waste and that is why they are so popular today.
Some of the best leak proof diapers also have a gel on the lining to protect the user from diaper rash.
4. Reusable Diapers
- Hook and loop fasteners design, more convenient to put on and off, will not be worn because the old man is shaking or not flexible.
- The waterproof fabric is softer and more breathable, comfortable to wear.
- The soft inner layer absorbing moisture and keeping dry, no side leakage.
Unlike disposable diapers, you can wash a reusable diaper and use it again.
They are made with cloth with an absorbency pad inside and they cannot handle a lot of urine like disposable diapers.
Initially, reusable diapers are quite expensive but cheaper in the long run because you will use it many times over.
One of the best reusable diapers is the IBEX Ultra Fitted Briefs that can be used overnight.
5. Pull Up Diapers
- Breathable, stretchable, cloth-like material looks and feels like regular underwear
- Acquisition strip and super absorbent beads quickly lock in fluids and help prevent odor
- Tear-away sides for easy removal option
Like the name suggests, pull up diapers pull on just like normal underwear and they have no tabs on the side. Therefore, many brands will call them underwear.
People with dementia and arthritis really benefit from pull-up diaper underwear because they don’t have to bother with fasteners every time.
However, there is a variation of pull-up diapers with refastenable tabs like the Depend Refastenable Underwear (Overnight) in case you want to adjust the waist size.
- REUSABLE & ECO FRIENDLY-Reusable up to 200 washes. Cool Dry Fabric to keep you comfortable. No disposable pads to purchase, no diapers in the landfills.
- FUCNTIONAL FLY- Functional fly to use for times you can make it to the bathroom.
- PAYS FOR ITSELF OVER TIME- Cheaper and more economical than disposable briefs. Nothing additional to purchase. No Pads. All protection is built into the underwear.
Briefs are the opposite of pull-ups because they have tabs on the sides and are worn like baby diapers.
Most adult diapers are briefs and they are categorized into briefs with cloth-like backing, plastic backing, refastenable tabs and non-refastenable tabs.
Tranquility All-Through-the-Night Disposable Briefs is among the most absorbent adult diaper because it’s quiet and cool.
7. Cloth Diapers
- COMFORTABLE: Stay dry longer and rash free with absorbent fitted cloth diaper
- EASY: Adult diapers with tabs and snaps make it easy to remove soiled diaper for user or caregiver
- ODOR CONTROL: Soothingly soft bamboo naturally prevents odor in the fabric
Buying disposable diapers that you will throw away after only one use can be expensive in the long run.
If your loved one requires regular use of adult diapers, it’s more economical to buy cloth diaper that is made of absorbent material like cotton fleece, terry, flannel and wool.
Cloth diapers come with a very absorbent insert that you can wash and reuse or throw away because they are cheaper but the diaper itself lasts a long time.
Apart from being more economical, it’s also very environmental friendly and they feel soft and light on your body.
8. Swim Diapers
Unlike other diapers that are meant to be absorbent, disposable swim diapers for adults are designed to hold waste inside so the person can swim without contaminating the water.
The outer fabric is waterproof and non-absorbent so it doesn’t allow any water to get into the diaper.
9. Fitted Contour Diapers
- Includes 16 pairs of unisex overnight absorbency incontinence underwear
- Overnight absorbency to quickly lock away wetness
- Dri-Fit helps to control moisture and temperature to help your skin stay dry, comfortable and healthy
Fitted diapers are basically what most diapers look like and they are the best overnight diapers for adults.
They are narrow in the center and wider towards the legs for a more custom fit and discretion.
The center part is usually made of a very absorbent material to hold enough waste and they are suitable for regular cases of incontinence.
10. Plastic Covers
- Unisex adults briefs, 4 snaps per side for easy changing. No need to remove your shoes or slacks.
- Incontinence panties designed to be worn over any pads, disposable briefs, protective underwear or diapers, noise-free, absorbant, lightweight, breathable and waterproof.
- Elastic waist and leg bands for added comfort and protection. Avoids rubbing, chafing or irritating the skin.
When you want comfortable cloth diapers that can be changed regularly and reused, you should use them together with plastic diapers.
These are worn on top of your normal diaper to prevent leakage especially if the level of incontinence is much progressed.
Plastic diapers are also great at concealing regular diapers because they have custom fittings.
Diaper Rash And How To Get Rid Of It?
A diaper rash is a red/pink colored rash on the bosom that is caused by allergy or prolonged wearing of wet diapers.
It can be a very uncomfortable reaction to urine or to the diaper itself and it is itchy. If the diaper is left on for longer hours, the rash will become worse and that is when pain and bleeding occurs.
The best solution for diaper rash is changing that diaper immediately and cleaning the affected area. Afterwards you should pat it dry gently and apply some cream or ointment containing petroleum jelly.
If the rash was too bad, it advisable that you leave the person without a diaper for a while to allow some air flow that will cause the rash to dry and heal.
It’s important to ensure regular changing of diapers and immediate change in case of fecal incontinence.
Adults wearing diapers should also see a doctor if the diaper rash was caused by fungal or bacterial infection, to get the necessary cream to take care of the problem.
Buying Guide for Best Leak Proof Diapers for Adults
What is the best overnight diaper for adults? Getting the right leak proof diapers for adults is easy if you know what to look for. Here are just some of the features you want;
How absorbent is the diaper versus how absorbent you need it to be. People with light incontinence don’t need a diaper that is very absorbent while diabetic people do.
Other important considerations include how big the person is, how much water they drink and how often the diaper will be changed.
However, a highly absorbent diaper is better because it can hold more urine and prevent diaper rash.
Price Vs. Quality
The truth is, disposable adult diapers are extremely affordable. However, in the long run buying a pack of disposable diapers every day or two will put a dent into your pocket.
How often does the person use a diaper and how many times is it changed? If the answer to those questions is ‘frequently, then reusable cloth diapers are more economical not to mention better for the environment.
Fit should be a huge consideration when buying the best nighttime diapers for adults. Luckily, most adult diapers and incontinence products have number sizes on them.
It is essential that an adult diaper fits you snugly; otherwise the chances of leakage are very high.
On the other hand, if the diaper is too small, it will be uncomfortable, tight and also leaky because there is no room for holding the waste.
Plastic Back Or Cloth
While plastic backing is better because it will not allow any wetness to penetrate outside the diaper, they also don’t allow any air inside.
Cloth backing is not only comfortable and light but it’s also breathable and lets in plenty of oxygen so you feel dry and comfortable.
The choice between plastic and cloth backing really depends on the level of incontinence and the specific situation.
You would think that absorbency and size are the only factors you need to look for in adult diapers. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple because adult waste can be extremely smelly.
One way to keep the smell of urine under wraps for a long while is to buy high performance diapers with anti-bacterial properties because it is the bacteria in the waste that causes the smell.
Additionally, such a diaper will also mean less or zero diaper rash and also urinary tract infections that are also caused by bacteria.
In simple terms, do you want a pull-up style or diaper style?
Pull ups are worn through the legs like underwear and they are more suitable for people with low incontinence and whose mind is sound so they can be able to remove the pants and go to the toilet.
On the other hand, if the patient is immobile and mentally unsound, a diaper style is the best since a helper will have to change them.
Though buying the best leak proof diapers for adults is a great start, it’s important to also understand the emotional part of dealing with incontinence.
If need be, the person who has just started to deal with the issue should be cancelled and prepared psychologically before throwing a pack of diapers at them.
With enough information and assurance that they are not alone and their situation is not weird, they can be able to still enjoy their last years on earth without shame and embarrassment.