Are you looking for the best exercise bikes for seniors? Since gym memberships can be a bit expensive, you need to look for a convenient option that will allow you to do workouts anytime.
As you get older getting out to the crowded noisy gym becomes a hassle. If you are searching for perfect fitness equipment for a senior, an exercise bike will be the best option.
Stationary bike for seniors come with special features that allow the elderly to do workouts without problems. They are also comfortable and easy to use.
Top Exercise Bikes For Elderly
Finding the right exercise bike is like finding the right pair of shoes. Here are our top picks.
1. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app-based tracking tools.
- Explore the world and discover 50plus global routes that auto-adjust in real time to your speed
- Fully-loaded console with DualTrack blue backlit LCD screens offers 29 workout programs and visibility to workout metrics, even when the media tray is in use
In terms of performance, Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike comes with more advanced features as compared to other models on the market. The first thing will love about it is that it contains 20 levels of resistance which allows you to chose a wide range of intensity options when exercising.
It also features a high inertia drive system which provides smooth and quiet workouts. This bike allows a maximum weight of 136 kilograms which means that it is very strong.
The seat rail slider system contains a level that makes it easy to adjust. Due to this, the unit provides an excellent fit for all users. It also comes with an inbuilt input port where you can connect MP3 players. You can also listen to music through the console speakers. A USB port is also included for charging your devices.
With this unit, you can easily set your exercise goals like distance, time and calories. A dual track LCD screen which has 22 preset exercise programs is also included. These presets include 1 quick start, 2 fitness test, 8 heart rate control and 9 profiles.
- Goal tracking capability
- Dual track 2 LCD screen
- USB charging port and MP3 input
- 22 preset workout programs
- Very stable and strong
- Not durable
- Poor design
2. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike with Pulse
- Sport type: Cycling. Space Saving Design: This compact bike can be easily folded to half of the assembled size. Can be moved with the included transportation wheels.
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- LCD Display: An easy to read large window (3.3”W x 1.5”H) LCD display that indicates distance, calories burned, time, speed, pulse and scan. Hand pulse sensors for monitoring your target heart rate
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike with Pulse is among the top rated exercise bikes for seniors. It has a large LCD display which makes it easy to read. Through this display, you can check the distance, speed, calories burned, time, scan and pulse. It is also equipped with hand pulse sensors that allow you to monitor your target heart rate.
You will also find that the seat has a large cushion which makes it suitable for people with different sizes. The seat also allows you to adjust for fit people with a height of 5’3”- 6’1 inches. Unlike others, it has a high torque cranking system which provides a consistent pedaling movements.
The unit also has a space saving design which means that it doesn’t take much of your space. It is easy to fold to create space for storage. Apart from that, it has 8 level magnetic tension control which allows you to adjust the tension for more difficult workouts. Also note that it supports up to 300 lbs.
- Foldable design
- Very sturdy
- Large LCD display
- Comfortable seat
- Easy to assemble
- Not the best for serious resistant lovers
3. Vanswe Recumbent Exercise Bike, with Bluetooth
- 【FULLY ADJUSTABLE】This recumbent exercise bike features a fully adjustable seat and 380 lbs weight capacity that can fit a wide range of individual users. The infinite slider seat let your legs at a suitable length for the comfortable posture and best results, better than other bikes with fixed seat positions
- 【16 LEVELS MAGNETIC RESISTANCE】16-levels Magnetic Tension Control System of this recumbent bike allows you to customize your ride and challenge yourself over time. It offers a smooth and quiet pedal feeling to a flawless biking experience
- 【DIGITAL LED TRACKING PANEL】The recumbent stationary bike is equipped with a LED computer screen that tracks your heart rate, speed, distance, time, and calories burned information. And the tablet support is convenient for watching movies or training when riding
SVanswe Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike is among the most comfortable exercise bikes for elderly you will ever find. It has a back support and a wide seat which makes it easy to use for quick or long exercise sessions. Again, it comes with wide foot pedals which contains straps to secure your feet.
The other unique feature you will find in this unit is a tablet holder that allows you to browse the internet, watch television shows and videos as you do exercises. The performance console allows you to track your speed, time, rotation per minute, calories burned, distance, wattage and pulse. This console also allows you to control the magnetic resistance.
Another major selling point of this unit is that it allows you to adjust the resistance without any problem. It also features 16 levels of computer-controlled resistance which is a rare feature you cannot find in many units.
When it comes to balance, this unit is equipped with two ergonomic handlebars which allows you to maintain balance as you exercise. It also contains two seat level pulse sensors which are easy to grab when exercising.
- 16 levels of computer controlled resistance
- Tablet holder
- Holds up to 380 pounds
- Very comfortable
- Easy to put together
- No warranty
- Seat doesn’t swivel
4. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance- ME-709
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back. Please note: This item requires assembly
- EIGHT RESISTANCE LEVELS – This stationary bike uses a magnetic resistance mechanism with 8 levels of resistance. The tension knobs control the difficulty to simulate riding on different terrains and customize your workout according to fitness level
- EASY-TO-READ COMPUTER SCREEN – The ultra-functional LCD computer screen acts as a odometer and has a sharp panel display that shows time, speed, distance, and calories burned in extra-large numbers for great readability.
One of the features that make Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike a great option for seniors is the padded seat. This seat is very comfortable which means that you can use it for many hours without any problem.
Apart from the padded seat, the handles are covered with foam which provides maximum support on your arms and at the back. Due to this, you are able to maintain a proper from as you exercise. Another awesome feature is the ergonomically designed saddle which features a comfortable density foam.
In terms of durability, this unit is very strong since it contains 14-gauge steel tubing which features a powder coating finish. This step-through design provides high mobility when exercising. It supports a total weight capacity of 300lbs.
The other thing seniors will love about this unit is the counterbalanced pedals. These pedals provide excellent foot support and also control. The bike also comes with adjustable foot straps which allows your feet to fit perfectly.
For easier monitoring of your performance this unit also comes with an ultra functional computer LCD screen. This screen acts as the odometer and it displays distance, calories burned, speed and time.
Another incredible thing you will find in this exercise bicycle for seniors is that the bike features a magnetic resistant movement which features 8 levels of resistance. It is also equipped with tension knobs which allows you to customize it according to your fitness level.
- Heavy duty construction
- Easy to read screen
- Compact design
- Padded seat
- Not easy to adjust
5. EXERPEUTIC 900XL 300 lbs, Weight Capacity Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse Monitor
- Your purchase includes Exerpeutic 900 XL Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse; Adult Assembly required, tools provided
- Exercise Bike dimensions: 54” L x 22” W x 34” H; Product Weight: 63 pounds; Weight capacity: 300 pounds; User height – 5’3” – 6’ 6”; Seat adjustments – 5.3” - 6.6”; Magnetic Tension Levels – 8
- Large oversized seat cushion and back rest for users of any size
If you are searching for a strong exercise bike for elderly, this one will be a fantastic option because it allows a total weight of 300 pounds. It also features a step through design which provides efficient and comfortable workouts.
8 resistant levels
It is also important to note that this unit contains a magnetic tension control system which provides 8 levels of resistance. You can easily adjust the tension level if you prefer workouts that are more challenging.
This bike is also equipped with an LCD screen which displays, speed, time, heart rate, distance and calories burned. It also comes with hand pulse sensors for monitoring your heart rate target.
Large seat and back rest
In order to boost your comfort, this fitness bike features a backrest and a large seat cushion. It is also easy to adjust for 5.3”-6.6 inches users.
The V-belt plus the precision balanced flywheel provides a very quiet operation which means that you can still listen to music or watch TV. You will also find that it has transport wheels which makes it easy to move.
- Easy to read LCD
- Adjustable tension control system
- Quiet operation
- Very comfortable for seniors
- Lacks pedals
6. Bulb Head As Seen on TV Slim Cycle 2-in 1 Stationary Bike- Folding Indoor Exercise Bike
- SMOOTH BELT DRIVE MAGNETIC RESISTANCE SYSTEM: 8 levels of magnetic resistance offer an effective workout experience for users of every fitness level.
- DIGITAL MONITOR/DEVICE HOLDER: Track critical performance variables (RPM, time, speed, distance, calories, pulse, calendar, clock, and temperature) while enjoying your favorite media during each exercise session.
- HAND PULSE SENSORS: Personalize your workout type and track your exercise intensity accurately using the integrated hand pulse sensors.
The first thing you will love about this unit is the compact design which makes it an ideal choice for any home. Once you are done with your exercises, you can easily fold it for easier storage. The user-friendly design makes it easy to use for everyone.
With this unit, you are able to track your performance through the digital display. This display allows you to monitor the distance, burned calories, speed and the number of miles you have ridden. Additionally, it provides accurate heart rate reading.
One of the most outstanding you will find in this unit is the inbuilt strength training that allows you to maximize your workouts. The design also allows you to lean your upper body muscles when pedaling.
This bike contains 8 levels of resistance which allows you to adjust your workouts according to your preferred fitness level. You can easily adjust these levels through the dial. If you prefer difficult workouts, you need to consider the highest number.
- Easy to fold
- Rides smoothly
- Portable and comfortable
- Easy to assemble
- Pain free exercises
- Ideal for everyone
- No user instructions
- Not easy to read the display in low light
7. XTERRA Fitness FB350 Folding Exercise Bike, Silver
- Solid x-frame design folds to just 20.5" x 20" of floor space when not in use
- Padded lower back pad and large seat for comfort and support
- 2" x 1" LCD window is easy to read with all the necessary information - clearly displays speed, distance, time, calories, and pulse
Easy to read console
One of the most notable features you will find in this stationary bike for seniors is the 2” X 1” LCD window which is easy to read for seniors. Through this display, you can check speed, time, pulse, calories and the distance. Also note that the console uses 2 AA batteries which means that no electrical outlet is required. The unit also has handlebar mounted pulse grips which allows you to track your heart rate.
8 levels of resistance
You should also note that the bike has 8 levels of resistance which are easy to adjust through the large dial knob. It also comes with an accessory holder where you can keep your phone or remote control. The 3.3 lbs flywheel provides a very smooth and quiet operation.
If you have a limited space for a large workout bike, this one will be a great option because it features a solid X-frame design that makes it easy to fold. In addition, it is equipped with transport wheels which allows you to move it easily when not in use.
- Adjustable pedal strap
- Convenient accessory holder
- 3-piece pedal crank to enhance durability
- Pulse grips for monitoring your heart rate
- Easy to read LCD window
- 3 lbs precision balanced flywheel
- Cheap material
- Not the best for tall users
- Uncomfortable seat
8. DeskCycle Under Desk Cycle, Pedal Exerciser—Stationary Mini Exercise Bike
- Multi-task: Our quality under desk bike keeps you focused, improves productivity and burns far more calories than a standing desk. Can fit under desks as low as 27inches
- Effective: With more than twice the resistance range of other bike desks, our under desk bike has 8 calibrated resistance settings, so you're the one in control.
- Smooth & Quiet: DeskCycle pedal exerciser uses premium magnetic resistance for a super smooth pedal motion. This is great for your joints and whisper quiet.
Are you searching for a mini exercise bike that you can easily use under your desk when to exercise when working or watching TV? DeskCycle under Desk Cycle will be the best because you can easily place it under the table or desk to exercise when your legs are free. You can simply place it on front of a chair and pedal as you do other things. You can also place the display on the table for convenient viewing.
In terms of performance, you will find that it comes with a precision flywheel which allows you to pedal quietly without distracting anyone. This also means that it allows you to concentrate on your work due to its quiet performance.
Five Function LCD display
This unit has a 5-function LCD display which shows you the time, calories, scan, time and speed. It also has an online calorie burned calculator. In addition, it has 8 calibrated resistance settings. It also has a large viewing area and allows you to keep track for up to 16 hours of activity. This means that it counts up to 1,000 minutes.
- 8 magnetic resistant levels
- Quiet operation
- 5 function LCD display
- Easy to use when working
- Large pedals which contains adjustable Velcro straps
- Tracking computer is not the best
- It only works when you have a stationary chair
9. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B0418 Magnetic Mini Exercise Bike with Digital Monitor
- SAFETY STRAPS: Pedals work well with both feet and hands. Pedals are adjustable to fit foot or hands for safety and stability.
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION: 8 Levels of tension for a versatile workout. Adjust resistance to challenge your arms and legs toward building muscle.
- EASY TO READ LCD: Displays Time, Speed, Distance, ODM, Calories
Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B0418 will be the best choice for anyone who is searching for an affordable option. Apart from the cheap price, it is very easy and comfortable to use.
In terms of design, this mini exercise bike has a compact design which makes it easy to store. It also fits under your desk perfectly which makes it easy to use when you are seated or working.
With this mini exercise bike, you can easily track your speed, time, distance calories and ODM through the digital monitor. Using the scan mode, you can repeat these features to continue with the calculations.
Another advantage of using this unit is that it features a convenient tension knob which allows you to choose the intensity of your workouts. You can either increase or decrease the resistance.
Unlike other stationary bikes, this unit features non-slip hand/foot pedals which accommodate all sizes. These pedals also provides excellent grip to prevent your feet from sliding when doing vigorous exercises.
- Compact design
- Cheap price
- Adjustable resistance
- Sturdy construction
- Pedals smoothly
- Slides on carpet
- Low quality pedals
Searching for the best fitness bike for seniors can be very challenging. Especially if you do not have a particular product in mind.
You will also find that senior exercise bikes are so many on the market which means that if you really need the best, you should be ready to spend a lot of time comparing different products. However, it can be easier to choose if you follow these tips.
One common thing with many senior is that they may not be able to use exercise bikes with complex design. When buying, ensure that the one you have picked has a straightforward design. Again, it should be very sturdy and stable to support. In terms of assembly, make sure that all the necessary instructions on how to set it up are included. The finish should be resistant to scratches and peels.
Accidents are likely to happen during workouts since most seniors may not be physically fit. A good unit should have different safety features like adjustable foot straps to prevent sliding when pedaling.
Most seniors may not have energy to use the exercise bikes for long hours. To prevent fatigue, you need a fitness bike with padded seat which will also distribute your weight uniformly. Cushioned armrests and a comfortable back support will also be great for seniors. Again, the handlebars should be comfortable and should provide excellent grip.
You do not need a fitness bike that will not last. Buying an exercise bike should be a long-term investment which means that you need to check the materials used to ensure that it will last for many years. Instead of purchasing a cheap fitness bike for seniors, you should look for a unit with the best features. Again, most of the cheap exercise bikes have many shortcomings and may not be very safe for seniors.
The model you have picked should be suitable for different workout intensities to allow users to start with the most comfortable level and increase the intensity as they continue practicing. This means that you need to check the adjustment knob and the number of resistant levels. The best fitness bike for senior should have the highest number of resistant levels.
- Easy display
It important to look for a fitness bike that allows you to check your speed, heart rate, distance, calories burned and time. However, this display should be easy to read even in low light conditions.
The following are some of the reasons why seniors should exercise.
- Maintain body weight
After retirement, most seniors are likely to gain weight because they might not have a lot of work to do. This is very dangerous because they are likely to become overweight. To prevent this, an exercise bike will really help them to burn calories. As a result, it will be easier for them to maintain their body weight.
- Enhances mobility
Again, frequent exercises help to reduce the symptoms of arthritis. It also prevents pain around the joints.
- Boosts the immune system and digestion
Aerobic exercises such as cycling, running, walking allows your blood to circulate throughout out the body. When there is good circulation, your digestive system will run smoothly. Again, this will also boost your immune system.
- Cardiovascular endurance
Regular exercises are good for your hear as well as the circulatory system. As the heart pumps blood, fresh oxygenated blood is pushed to various parts of your body. As a result, it enhances good distribution of nutrients within the muscles. Riding an exercise bike may also prevent risks of high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Is an exercise bike good for seniors?
Jogging or walking can stress the joints of most seniors and may not be the best exercise activity. The good thing about exercise bikes is that they come with comfortable seats which make riding to be easier and more comfortable.
2, Does riding a fitness bike strengthen the legs?
If you are searching for an effective way of strengthening your lower body and legs, an exercise bike will be of great help. To get the best results, use the highest resistant level when riding. This will help to strengthen your hamstrings, quadriceps and calves.
3. Is an exercise bike as good as walking?
Walking and riding an exercise bike helps to burn calories. However, when using an exercise bike, you are able to burn more calories faster than walking. You can easily burn about 140 calories within 20 minutes when using an exercise bike as compared to 110 calories when walking.
4. Is it safe for seniors to use a fitness bike every day?
Exercise bikes are very safe for seniors. Those with joint problems may benefit a lot if they ride at least 30 minutes per day.
Exercise bikes are great for seniors but if they are not used correctly, they are likely to cause accidents. If you are searching for a perfect exercise bike for seniors, you can never go wrong with any of those we have reviewed.
To make your work easier when choosing the best from this list, you should look for one with the best features. Additionally, know your budget.
Other Popular Resources: