Well, the truth is, everybody appreciates a well thought-out gift from the heart.
The challenge is getting perfect inexpensive gifts for senior citizens that will blow them away on their birthday, anniversaries or even Christmas.
Are you still on the fence about whether to get your elderly loved one a gift this holiday? Let’s look at some of the reasons why you must get that perfect gift and different types of gifts for seniors to help you make that decision.
Table of Contents
- Top Gifts For Older People
- 1. Gifts for Older Women
- 2. Gifts for Elderly Men
- 3. Gifts That Enables Mobility for Senior
- 4. Gifts for Older Men Who Have Everything
- 5. Gift for Elderly Woman Who Has Everything
- 6. Clothing and Footwear Gifts for Seniors
- 7. Gifts for Entertaining and Engaging Elderly People
- 8. Gift Ideas for Older Parents
- 9. Gifts for Elderly Grandparents
- 10. Christmas Gifts for Elderly People
- 11. Gifts for Celebrating Special Memories
- 12. Technology Gifts for Elderly
- Factors To consider when Buying Best Inexpensive Gifts For Senior Citizens
Top Gifts For Older People
When it comes to gives, we have you covered for ideas. Here are our top picks.
1. Gifts for Older Women
As women get old, they become more sentimental about family and especially grandchildren.
The best gifts for elderly women therefore is something that will help them stay more in touch with these important people in her life.
A good example is the Apple iPad Air and adults coloring book to help her stay in touch with the grand kids and help her relax and unleash her creative side.
- Gorgeous 10.2-inch Retina display with True Tone
- A13 Bionic chip with Neural Engine
- 8MP Wide back camera, 12MP Ultra Wide front camera with Center Stage
- Kim, Coloring Book (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 102 Pages - 11/17/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
2. Gifts for Elderly Men
Men on the other hand tend to become more sentimental about the good old days especially if they are starting to forget things.
You can get your elderly man a simple or top notch fitness tracker to help him track his exercise regimen keep him healthy and energized.
- EDA Scan app detects electrodermal activity which may indicate your body's response to stress and a built-in skin temperature sensor logs yours each night so you can see when it varies
- Assess your heart for atrial fibrillation –a heart rhythm irregularity- and easily share results with your doctor (The Fitbit ECG app is only available in select countries. Not intended for use by people under 22 years old.Operating temperature: 14° to 113°F
- An on-wrist skin temperature sensor tracks yours each night so you can see how it varies. You can also see your nightly blood oxygen levels at a glance with our collection of clock faces.Maximum operating altitude: 28,000ft
3. Gifts That Enables Mobility for Senior
It’s unfortunate but most seniors do reach a point where mobility is completely limited whether its legs or hands.
It could be as a result of arthritis, injuries or other conditions. There are many gifts for senior citizens in nursing homes you can buy your loved one with mobility issues including the dexterity kit that is full of tools to help with pulling up the zip, turning keys and holding cutlery.
You can also get a cool cane to enhance mobility and balance for your elderly.
- GIFTS CHOICE: You can make your day more vibrant and cheerful; give a gift with our instrument to those who need this and spread love and joy on every special event or occasion. Make your dearest ones keep smiling with our crutches and enjoy each occasion to the fullest
- BEST VERTICAL POSTURE CANE FOR ULTIMATE STABILITY AND CONTROL! Prime Stick is like no ordinary cane. It is premium quality and highly functional. It is built to last.
- DYNAMO PRIME STICK – ONE SIZE FITS ALL – This urban walking cane is for those who want to walk upright with confidence & have somewhere to go! Its’ features make it the most - comfortable, stable, and versatile. The foam covered, all-terrain/weather design won’t rust or rattle. It’s strong and beautiful!
4. Gifts for Older Men Who Have Everything
If he has cars, walkers, the best canes and even the best gadgets and games, what can you get him?
There are parents whose children have taken care of everything including automatic lights and toilets to make their life easier.
Gifts for senior citizens who have everything should be entertainment-oriented like puzzles, cards, tickets to theaters and concerts and of course an audio book.
If they are a techy and use Mac products, we recommend USB C Hub.
- Rule All in one USB C Hub: The intelligent USB C Adapter has perfectly combined all the functions you need. USB C to HDMI hub equipped with USB3.0 x2, 4K@30 HDMI, SD/TF Card Adapter, and Up to 100W/20V/5A Type C Power Delivery charging port.
- 4K HDMI to USB C Hub: The USB C Hub provides you with lifelike 4K 3840 x 2160@30Hz HDMI images that bring an immersive 3D resolution experience.
- 100W Power Delivery Supported: The USB C Hub supports a 100W USB C pass-through charging, ideal for MacBook Pro/Air or and other USB c devices, your primary choice of USB C Hub.
- No More Erasing -No pencil or paper required,Double-sided tiles for trial and error, not have to erase wrong number.
- Easy Storage - Designed with a drawer container, easy for storage and carry around
- Multiple Players More Fun - Give each other Sudoku puzzle to compete who can solve it first，or use the same Sudoku puzzle and compete who solves it first.
5. Gift for Elderly Woman Who Has Everything
Women appreciate things that make them feel luxurious and extra comfortable.
Some of the gift ideas for parents who have everything include bath and beauty set, a foot warming mattress pad, herbal booties and an audio bible or ipad to soothe them to sleep.
Homemade gifts for senior citizens are also excellent especially if they are made by the kids.
- INNOVATIVE REVERSIBLE DESIGN MAKES CHOPPING AND SERVING A BREEZE: Every kitchen thrives on practical and alluring accessories that bring your best home cooking to the table. This extra large, functional and stylish Acacia cutting board makes your food prep easy as pie because its generous platter handles all the meat, cheese, vegetables and fruit you’ll ever need to slice and dice. When your food is prepared, your board flips over and works as a practical and attractive serving tray.
- STRIKING ACACIA BRINGS THE WARMTH OF NATURAL WOOD TO YOUR HOME: Nothing complements a kitchen like natural wood, and this cutting block brings you a feast of warming colour and texture. Enticing diagonal pattern highlights the hue and tone of the contrasting wood grains. Surface sheen and rounded edges feel smooth to the touch. Two strips of inlaid walnut add to the eye-catching personality and verve. No two boards are the same, but each one is contoured with a captivating magic all its own.
- VERSATILE, MULTIFUNCTIONAL, STYLISH: Here’s a solid chopping board to handle all your meal preparation and entertaining. A deep juice groove on the ample chopping surface cups excess liquids so your countertop always stays clean. Distinctive tapered sides give you an even grip for carrying and serving. Reversible design transforms your chopping surface into a multipurpose serving board full of potential. Built-in compartments add smorgasbord appeal to your dinner parties.
6. Clothing and Footwear Gifts for Seniors
Old men and women may not appreciate fashion but they still want to look and feel good.
However, it’s more important to understand their specific needs by asking them and then address those issues in your gift ideas for senior citizens.
For example, an elderly person who has balance issues will benefit from a pair of comfortable shoes for both outdoors and indoors.
You can also add some warmer clothes because people feel cold when they are old.
- WARM FLEECE LINING: It is convenient slip-on design slippers, along with comfort man-made plush fleece lining that encompasses your feet very well and offers soothing comfort.
- SOLID RUBBER SOLE: The hard sole makes the winter ladies slippers perfect for indoor and outdoor family use. Its great traction allows for stepping noiselessly in the bedroom. Each of your steps will become steadier with it.
- HIGH-DENSITY MEMORY FOAM INSOLE: The stylish comfy home slipper is lined with high-density memory foam that really relaxes your feet and retains the shape.
7. Gifts for Entertaining and Engaging Elderly People
Entertaining friends in the afternoons and holidays with the family is what old people live for.
They love it when people come over, eat, play and pray together and even stay overnight.
Games and puzzles for entertainment and a cool Barbecue Grill Set for the snacks are just some of the gifts for lonely elderly people who want company.
- TWENTY ESSENTIAL TOOLS FOR GRILLING: Chef’s spatula, grill tongs, digital temperature fork, silicone basting brush, four pairs of corn holders, five skewers, cleaning brush with extra brush head are all contained in a durable aluminum carrying case - perfect for the on-the-go or at home.
- SPATULA & TONGS: The perforated spatula with serrated edge for cutting and built in bottle opener, makes it easy to flip, cut, and serve foods. The tongs are designed to easily grab, flip, and serve foods, both made from durable stainless steel.
- DIGITAL TEMP FORK: The digital temperature fork comes with recommended preset temperature and has a built-in alarm, ensuring you wont' overcook your meat again.
8. Gift Ideas for Older Parents
What your parents want is to know that you are happy and you appreciate everything they did for you.
There are many ways to show that appreciation and special gift baskets are a good start.
You can also buy a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant if your parents are still together or to get some personal services like manicure, massage and the sorts.
- DELUXE 9 PIECE SET This spa gift basket has everything a woman needs! It includes Shower Gel, Bubble Bath, Body Lotion, Bath Salt, Body Scrub, Bath Oil, a Bath Towel and a Loofah Back Scrubber. Packed in a stunningly wrapped gold wire basket, it also has a gift note card for you to personalize it.
- CALMING JASMINE BATH ESSENTIALS Experience pure indulgence as you soak in the serenity of jasmine and white orchid scented and infused bath products. As these lotions soften and moisturize your skin, the uniquely formulated fragrance will soothe and relax your entire body, putting your mind and heart at ease.
- BONUS LUXURY TOWEL Along with the cosmetic and beauty products is a plush and luxurious hotel quality bath towel to wrap yourself up in a bundle of warmth. The back scrubber loofa also serves as an exfoliator in conjunction with the gels. Transform your day into one of luxury, elegance and pure class.
9. Gifts for Elderly Grandparents
Your grandparents may be extremely old so their needs are different from those of your parents.
What they may need are things to make them more comfortable in their golden years and make it more bearable.
A nice heated blanket will keep the cold away and also reduce aches and pains.
You can also gift them with gifts for senior citizens in assisted living like adaptive clothing and anything that will make their life as easy as possible.
- Premium Throw Material: NANPIPER plush throw blanket, made of 100% microfiber, throw 50"x60". You can take it for traveling, camping or having a nap on sofa/couch or snuggling up when watching TV. Package include 1x throw blanket (Not Electric).
- Soft & Warm: Both sides of the flannel top and Sherpa reverse are soft and warm, so it's a comfortable bed blanket for snuggling up when you have a sleep. If you want to be relaxed on your sofa/beds feeling warm on those freezing days and nights, there is no doubt that this Sherpa blanket is your best choice.
- Reversible with Decorative Line Design: The top side is flannel fleece (220gsm) and the bottom is Sherpa (260gsm), you can have two different senses of touch. This throw blanket is bound up with knit-trim edging for ornaments. Whether the rich smooth plush colored side or the beautiful and elegant white Sherpa side, this soft blanket will not disappoint you.
10. Christmas Gifts for Elderly People
Christmas being one of the most special times in a year should be commemorated with a good gift.
Christmas gift ideas for senior citizens should stand out and remind the elderly person of Christmas when they see it so a Christmas mug with family picture on it, or a phone will do just fine.
Neck massager, heated kneading pillow and the ECOVACS DEEBOT N79 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner all make life interesting after Christmas.
- Max Mode Cleaning: Increase your cleaning power by 2x whenever you need using the app or remote control.
- Smart App & Voice Controls: Use Alexa or Google Home voice commands to direct cleaning. Use the ECOVACS App to customize, schedule & monitor cleaning sessions, accessory status, & receive error alerts
- Auto-Clean plus 3 Specialized Cleaning Modes: Smart motion guided auto-clean mode, plus single room & spot mode for targeted cleaning, & edge mode for hard-to-clean edges.
11. Gifts for Celebrating Special Memories
Birthdays, wedding anniversaries, and other special memories in a person’s life mean a lot to them because it’s a testament of their accomplishments.
A huge picture frame that is relevant to the memory being celebrated is a good gift idea and so is the DayClox – The Original Memory Loss Digital Calendar Day Clock to keep her aware of dates and days.
- This unique 'High Resolution' digital day clock clearly spells out the full DAY of the Week, MONTH and DATE in large, bold letters - with no confusing abbreviations. Many seniors suffering from memory loss due to dementia, stroke, Alzheimer's or just advancing years, often have difficulty processing abbreviated words.
- Ideal clock for people of all ages! Great for Home, Office or even Classroom use. The words Dementia, Alzheimer's or Memory Loss are ‘not’ printed on the clock itself so it makes a great gift for those special loved ones, especially Grandma & Grandpa. It is quickly becoming a perfect Senior Care and In Home Care necessity.
- This DayClox Digital Calendar Clock displays exact time in a large, bright and clear display that can be seen from across the room. It's bold, sharp & non-glare display is invaluable for the visually impaired and the elderly.
12. Technology Gifts for Elderly
Technology is here to stay and it keeps elderly people connected to their loved ones and to the world.
Some gadgets make the best gifts for retired parents because they can actually teach an old person a lot of things and be used to game, order food, and learn a language on top of communication.
Apart from a phone, you can buy the Amazon Echo that is a hands-free device that plays music, reads weather reports and news, answers questions, reads audio books and checks sports scores and it’s voice-controlled.
You can also get the Esky Wireless RF Item Locator to track your misplaced keys, wallet and other stuff in the house or the car.
- Meet the Echo Plus - Same great sound as our Echo (3rd Gen) with a built-in Zigbee hub to easily setup and control your compatible smart home devices.
- Enjoy premium sound - Personalize your listening experience by adjusting the equalizer settings. Or pair with a second Echo Plus (2nd Gen) or Echo (3rd Gen) for stereo sound and add more bass with an Echo Sub.
- Voice control your music - Ask Alexa for a song, artist, or genre from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and more. With multi-room music, play music on compatible Echo devices in different rooms.
- 【Portable Design】: With only 0.18 inches thick, these 6 receivers can be attached to keys, TV remote controllers, mobile phones, wallets, pets, luggage and more.
- 【Loud 80db Beep】: Finding your items is simple. Just follow the sound! Once you press the corresponding color-coded button on the remote, the device will emit a loud 80db beep when the items are nearby.
- 【Long-Distance Operation】: You'll be able to find your lost goods no matter where they are. Radio frequency can easily penetrates though walls, cushions and doors to find the lost item up to within 100ft.
Factors To consider when Buying Best Inexpensive Gifts For Senior Citizens
As earlier established, the best gifts for senior citizens should not just be mere stuff to add to an already full house.
Here are some of the features you should look for when buying inexpensive gifts for senior citizens;
Safety should without a measure of doubt be your number one concern when buying anything for seniors.
This is because they are prone to falling, and other accidents that come as a result of poor coordination, limited dexterity and failing eyesight.
Make sure your gift is safe to use but more than that it enhances the overall safety of the user. It should not subject him or her to any danger or cause someone else harm.
How useful is the gift to the elderly person? As much as a gift should not be a necessity, it must be something they will be using from time to time.
Gifts for the elderly woman or man should help make their life easier and more fun by utilizing the body or the brain.
For example, buying an elderly man a beautiful flower vase is useless because they may never use it but some playing cards, walker or even an ipod will be useful and highly appreciated.
You want your gift to last a long time and help the user throughout their golden years. This is especially important because some gifts hold sentimental value to the person and they will be remembering you when they see it.
Something that will not break easily is good because old people can be clumsy. Try to go with high quality stuff that is not fragile and can handle some rough treatment.
- Easy to use
The last thing you want to give an elderly person is a complicated gadget that they can’t figure out.
Their days to learn complicated stuff are long gone and their minds can only handle easy and simple things.
Even if you want to buy something technical like an ipod, make sure it’s easy to use with minimum buttons.
Another aspect involves being easy on the hands because old people are not very strong so lightweight gifts are better.
To old people, life is all about fun; the good times you spend with family and friends and those good old memories.
You will do them a big favor if you buy a gift that creates more fun and enhances their relationships with others.
In simple terms, don’t just buy something that will be sitting there in the house without improving their lives.
Fun gifts for senior citizens should help them go out more, laugh more and just enjoy life more.
Convenience is important to old people because they have worked hard their entire lives and they should not continue to work just to get something.
While a big walker may be fun to ride, it requires him to go to the garage while a small walker can just be sitting right there beside you.
Whatever you buy should be easy to reach, easy to use and if possible automatic so you don’t have to do anything at all.
Something like the Lutron Motion Sensor Light Switch lights up automatically when you walk into the door and that is the definition of convenience.
Is this gift helpful, fun, safe and easy to use? These are questions you must ask yourself every time you go shopping for inexpensive gifts for senior citizens.
The gift should also speak to the person you are buying it for and match their likes, hobbies and interests.
With the right gifts and enough time, your elderly loved one will always have a smile on their face when they see you and never feel neglected.
Other Awesome Resources:
- Best Pop Up Trundle Beds For Adults
- Best Recliners For Elderly People
- Daybed with Pop Up Trundle For Adults
- Easy Digital Camera For Elderly People To Use
- Most Comfortable Adjustable Beds for Elderly People
- Pedal Exerciser For Seniors For Healthier Living
- Front Closing Bras For Elderly Women
- Easiest Smartphone For Seniors
- Comfortable Bras For Older Ladies.