Whoever invented wheelchair carrier for the back of a vehicle his needs a hearty hug! Maybe he was motivated by his own experiences and struggles, or those of a friend or a loved one.
Whatever it was, by introducing a wheelchair carrier for the back of a vehicle, he solved the messy pain that transporting a wheelchair was for the disabled and their caregivers.
Below is a look at types of carriers based on carriers and wheelchairs. Hopefully we have one that fits your needs.
Table of Contents
- Top Wheelchair Carrier Lifts
- Buying Guide
- Benefits of A Wheelchair Carrier
Top Wheelchair Carrier Lifts
1. Electric Wheelchair Carrier Lift
- Mobility Carrier Wheelchair Scooter Rack Disability Medical Ramp Hitch Mount,Which Is Made For Easy Loading And Transporting Of Your Wheelchair Or Scooter. It Can Be Used As A Carrier And A Ramp, Simply Attach It To Your Hitch.
- Brand New And High Quality Heavy-Duty Steel Construction And Internal Spring Loaded Pull Locks Durable Black Powder Coated Finish
- 3-Position Carrier (Closed Flat, Open L-Shape & Open Flat) Welded Handle Featured On The Ramp For Easy Folding And Unfolding Carrier With A Properly Installed Class III Or Class IV 2 Inch Hitch Receiver Easy To Assemble And Easy To Install
An electric wheelchair carrier uses the car’s electric motor (or the battery) to operate the wheelchair.
Users have either a switch or an excellent remote control to help run it making them quite easy to use- compared with manual models in which you have to have to physically load the wheelchair.
These are thus awesome for even disabled seniors as they use minimal energy. On the downside, they are a bit costly not to mention that the car has to be on to run.
That being said, some models such as the TMS folding wheelchair hitch carrier are a bit affordable despite their excellent construction.
2. Manual Wheelchair Carrier
- 【Foldable Design】Goplus wheelchair carrier is a perfect loading solution, this carrier can be folded easily, doesn't take up much space.
- 【Perfect for Many Equipment】This wheelchair carrier is made for easy loading and transporting of wheelchair, mobility scooter, or other similar equipments.
- 【Applicable to a Variety of Vehicles】This carrier is made for cars, trucks, SUVs, or vans, which is really useful and practical.
A wheelchair and scooter carrier doesn’t use power and can’t be operated even when the car is turned off.
People on budget favor them as they’re cheaper.
They, however, use more energy as you must push the wheelchair manually onto the ramp.
A popular choice in this category is the Goplus Wheelchair/ scooter Carrier because of its fantastic pricing.
3. Bumper Mounted Wheelchair Carrier
- Transports a single manual wheelchair using an existing vehicle hitch ball mount
- Platform tilts for easy loading and unloading
- Height adjustable stability arm secures wheelchair in place
This is mounted on the car’s bumper and is again for manual wheelchairs. The elder has to lift the wheelchair onto the carrier which may sometimes call for assistance.
For cars which don’t have this provision, holes can be drilled to allow installation.
The major complaint is that the trunk is hard to access with the carrier mounted.
Nevertheless, models such as the Silver Spring Manual Carrier are very well built with a tilting platform for for easy loading and unloading .
4. Hitch Mounted Wheelchair Carrier
- Easy mobility scooter transport using a vehicle's trailer hitch
- Includes an integrated loading ramp which folds upright after the scooter is loaded
- 500 lb capacity supports many power scooter models
Economy Hitch Mounted Mobility Scooter Carrier Rack with Ramp
Practical and cost-effective, a hitch mounted wheelchair carrier usually tilts down to pick the wheelchair, before rising up to eventually lock into place.
People can choose a manual or an automatic one and can be attached to a draw bar or any ball mount at the back of the vehicle.
Unlike bumper mounted types, these provide direct access to the car trunk.
Plus, there are some pretty affordable options including the economy hitch-mounted carrier rack.
5. Folding Wheelchair Carrier For Car
A wheelchair carrier for car folds for storage when no longer in use.
Actually, some naturally fold in their place when transporting the wheelchair to save on space.
It’s easier to access the trunk when folded. Our most recommended foldable wheelchair carrier for cars is the ALEKO MC400 Scooter Carrier thanks to its anti-tilt locking device which ensures it never wobbles.
6. Aluminum Wheelchair Carrier for back of car
- Fits all 2" x 2" Class III and IV hitch receivers
- Inside carrier size: 47" long x 27-3/4" x 7-1/2" deep; Overall carrier size: 50" x 29. 5" x 7. 5"
- Maximum distributed weight capacity: 500 lbs
An aluminum wheelchair carrier for back of car is so called because the frame is dominated by aluminium purposely to make it lightweight and thus less burdening for smaller cars.
It may be attached to a hitch with and usually has a simple to install design.
One of the best aluminum carriers for cars is the MAXXHAUL 80779 Aluminum Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier with 47″ Long Ramp, thanks to its heavy duty aluminum construction and ability to handle 500lbs capacity.
7. Car-Top Mounted Carriers
Elders who desire more space inside the car will love this.
It’s installed on the roof of the car. Typically, a motor-driven hoist grabs the wheelchair, folds it, and hoists to the career.
The operation is automated and managed using a switch. However, it only carries manual chairs.
Plus, it doesn’t work with all car models. Check out the BraunAbility Chair Topper here.
8. Pick-Up Truck Carrier
- TRANSPORTS MOST SCOOTERS & WHEELCHAIRS: Maneuvering a wheelchair can be difficult enough on its own. Transporting it shouldn’t bring you extra stress. Our medical rack can support most power scooters and electric wheelchairs. Just load your wheelchair onto this mobile ramp and you’re ready to go! Experience it for yourself. Order today.
- EASY USE: This mobility ramp is for use with 2” class III or IV trailer hitches. It is not for use with 1 1/4-inch hitch. It can fold up flat and vertically against the rear of the vehicle when not in use. The ramp features a quick action spring pull pin that secures the ramp for transport, making travel more convenient for you.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Steel is a metal that is renowned for its ability to bear heavy loads. Our mobile ramp is constructed from heavy-duty steel, giving it an impressive weight capacity of 500 pounds. Because it’s made of steel, it will resist corrosion, bending, and bowing. This foldable carrier can give you several years of use.
A pick-up truck career is purposed at users light trucks.
The user first folds the wheelchair manually before it’s lifted onto the bed of your truck by the electric-driven motor.
Older people or those with severe difficulties may, however, need help when folding or transferring the wheelchair.
Whether you are looking for a hitch mounted wheelchair carrier, a scooter carrier for car, or even an electric wheelchair carrier for car, there are a few points to keep in mind….
- Type of Wheelchair Carrier
But for their high pricing, electric carriers are considered the easiest for those who have serious weaknesses.
People who have a budgetary limitation would do well on a manual carrier provided they can at least do some lifting.
However, manual hitch mounted wheelchair carriers are great compromise as they are both affordable and very practical.
- Weight limit
Carriers have a weight limit so you also need to be aware that most hitch-mounted carriers can haul a maximum of 500 lbs., bumper mounted carriers a maximum of 200 lbs. while most of the rest are somewhere in between.
The idea is to ensure you don’t pick something that would crash under pressure from the weight of your wheelchair.
- Ease of mounting/dismounting and use
If the career is too heavy, that could spell trouble as it may be hard to mount/dismount.
And don’t forget that your car may not move as fast as you may want due to the excess load.
Ideally, your carrier should weigh about 60-70 lbs.
- Safety Features
During transportation, the wheelchair should be secured to avoid it getting damaged if it accidentally drops off the carrier.
Thankfully, a majority of the carriers have anti-wobble enhancements and straps which prevents from toppling over.
A few come with safety rails on both sides and additional locking bars to guard the wheelchair.
- The ability Of The User
Can the user operate the carrier on their own or do they need a caregiver to help?
How detailed is the disability? You see, people or elders who have major physical challenges can’t operate a manual carrier so they’ve little choice away from an automatic carrier.
If not that, a scooter carrier (manual) since it’s a breeze to install.
Benefits of A Wheelchair Carrier
A wheelchair carrier can be a handy device to have. Here is why;
- More Freedom
When it comes to touring and sojourns, wheelchair carriers solve the agony of how to carry your wheelchair when you don’t own a large SUV or van.
You see, a wheelchair hitch carrier allows you to deliver you mobility tool to the destination meaning you will be free to roam around, enjoy the scenery without help, and run personal errands.
- Versatile Tool
A modern-day wheelchair rack does more than just haul a wheelchair or a scooter…The latest design is such that a senior can use it to carry heavy equipment, substantial touring luggage, swimming gear, and more.
Seniors can therefore easily deliver even other cargo needed to make a trip more enjoyable.
- It’s A Cost-Effective Solution
Vehicles which can hold a wheelchair and still leave breathing room aren’t that cheap, so instead of struggling until funds are available to buy this type of a car, a wheelchair hitch can be an immediate and a much more affordable solution.
Not to mention that these autos lack the versatility of wheelchair rack for cars.
- Space Saving
Even if you have a big van, a scooter or wheelchair will still take up space inside the car that would have been used by the family to carry personal luggage inconveniencing them.
Indeed, a hitch mounted wheelchair carrier ensures the car isn’t overcrowded and facilitates organized travel.
- Simple To Use
Most of the wheelchair carriers for vehicles are light, compact, and a breeze to mount.
Of course, our friends with disabilities prefer straightforward and user friendly products so as to make life easier.
On the same token, some designs such as a folding wheelchair carrier fold and can be stored when not in use.
A wheelchair carrier for the back of a vehicle can be an amazing equipment to have for a disabled person and others who are forced to rely on a wheelchair to remain on the move.
By accommodating most mobility vehicles including scooters and various types of wheelchairs, carriers help challenged users tag their helpers along ensuring they can have maximum fun and freedom while out on a trip.
Then they’re so many models- both manual and electric- so, you’re sure to find a compatible type that can serve your very specific needs.
And while a wheelchair is life-transforming, its carrier ensures you can have it where you need it and is a convenient way of maximizing it.