Shoes are a big part of how comfortable you are, whether indoors or outdoors. Seniors need to have the best velcro shoes which are very comfortable, promote balance, and can be put on and off very easily.
Why Velcro shoes? Because they are easy to fasten or adjust as required. For an elderly person, shoelaces can be quite complicated and take too much effort.
Velcro shoes for the elderly are the best option because they are safer and more convenient.
Table of Contents
Top Velcro Shoes for Seniors
After careful consideration of user reviews on Amazon, Facebook, Reddit, and other social forums, we compiled this list of the best velcro shoes for the elderly.
They are ranked on the strength of their user ratings, as well as overall quality as evaluated by a team of experts.
First, here is the best overall.
1. New Balance Men’s Hook and Loop
New Balance is the best-selling producer of shoes for the elderly on Amazon. The company has been making shoes for over 100 years. Therefore, you can be sure it has the experience and know-how.
It is also the only company to maintain a ‘Made in the USA’ policy, with over 70% of the components involved being made and assembled in the USA.
New Balance Velcro shoes are designed for ultimate comfort, durability, and versatility. One major winning point is that you can get different sizes with various widths for a more comfortable fit. They are also well padded with foam and polyurethane.
You can buy them in pure leather or PVC leather variations depending on your budget. New Balance Velcro shoes are the best for a number of reasons.
- They are of the best quality, with pure leather options available.
- Well padded with foam and PVC for a snug fit.
- A range of shoe size and width available, so that you can choose your perfect fit.
- Designed and assembled in the USA.
- Different price points to fit different budgets.
- They are perforated which makes them breathable to help reduce sweating.
We found New Balance is a name to trust and this Men’s shoe was a top pick.
2. Clarks Women’s Sillian Bella Mary Jane Flat
These Clarks Sillian Bella Mary Jane’s are the best shoes for elderly women because of two main reasons: They’re the most comfortable, and they are of the best quality.
Fitting, balance, breathability, traction, and weight are all among the best in their class.
Clarks made these shoes with their cutting edge Cloudstepper technology, which consists of three different cushioning materials integrated into the insoles. A soft and stretchable synthetic textile material makes up the outside cover. With just the right amount of flex and breathability, these shoes will quickly become your best friends.
Additionally, the sole is made of artificial rubber with a low 1.35″ heel height. The rip-bands are very easy to fasten or unfasten, and the overall design is very classy.
- The ultra-comfortable Cloudstepper technology is perfect for walking in any environment without straining the feet.
- They are made of a breathable, flexible textile material to accommodate sweating and swelling feet.
- Quite stylish. They are the only shoes for seniors to merge style with functionality.
- Lightweight and well balanced.
- Available in a range of prices and colors.
These are fantastic shoes from a famous brand. Elderly women are sure to love the added comfort and pleasing aesthetics, not to mention a lightweight and fitting design.
3. Propet Men’s Lifewalker
The Propét LifeWalker is a superb Velcro shoe model from a company that is popular for its uncompromising stand on quality.
It is designed to give maximum support to your foot while being comfortable enough to minimize strain and impact. It does that through a contoured heel stabilizer and a dual-strap Velcro closure.
Propét shoes are available in different sizes, and each size has a range of shoe widths to fit all types of feet. They are deep and have removable inserts so that you can place any medical devices that help with foot pain, posture or other problems. They are also Medicare coded for use by diabetics.
- The leather exterior makes them durable and strong for foot protection.
- They have a firm heel to provide additional support.
- Their inserts are removable to make space for orthotics.
- They’re deep and have extra cushioning, making them perfect for those with medical problems like diabetes.
- They are coded for Medicare insurance.
Propét LifeWalkers are almost perfect for elderly people. They are designed for outdoor walking experiences, such as hiking trails and beaches. Together with their durability, they are a solid investment for your poor feet.
4. Propet Women’s Tour Walking
Propét has a wide range of Velcro shoes for men and women alike. The Tour Walkers are particularly popular due to their rugged outdoor design.
Intended for use as daily walking shoes, they are suitable for the city, countryside, beach, and every other condition.
The Tour Walkers feature a pure leather upper, an EVA midsole, and a rubber outsole cut into a herringbone tread pattern.
For fastening, you have a twin-strap Velcro closure system which is very easy to use. It also has the advantage of having extra-long straps that fold all the way over for maximum attachment.
They are also perfect for balancing due to their lightweight and snug-fitting design, which helps you to significantly reduce or eliminate falls.
They are ultra-comfortable thanks to additional padding and maintain a stylish look like all Propét shoe models.
- They are of a rugged and durable construction, making them perfect for the outdoors.
- The extra cushioning for the heel, toes, arch support, and the rubber sole all make for a springy and comfortable walking experience.
- They are available in a wide range of sizes, and 5 different widths for every size. You can order them in size from narrow to XX.
- You can order from a selection of 6 colors.
- Stylish design with leather uppers and rubber sole.
These have become a favorite with women, due to their stylish look and comfortable design.
5. Hush Puppies Men’s Gil
The Hush Puppies Gil for men are ultra light-weight, leather shoes designed for maximum comfort and style. If you’re an active senior or are buying them for one, these are the best option.
For one, the Hush Puppies Gil Velcro shoes are wide-mouthed and come with a simple yet vintage single hoop closure. You can get into and out of them in seconds and fasten them securely with the extra-long strap.
They are also very stylish and can be worn by men of any generation. Thanks to their smooth leather uppers, ‘moc-toe’ design and tonal stitching, you can use them for every occasion, from daily walking to black-tie events. You can also order from a selection of colors to suit your taste.
They come with a contoured footbed and open cell mesh cover to ensure maximum support and comfort. The sole is Hush Puppies’ proprietary ZeroG rubber model, which is super light, durable and gives you maximum traction to prevent slips and falls.
- Their timeless vintage design makes them perfect for all occasions.
- Excellent comfort, thanks to removable molded inserts and wide ‘moc-toe’ design.
- Lightweight, low profile and flat balanced ZeroG sole make them suitable for elderly users.
- Pure leather uppers make them strong and durable.
- Name-brand quality; their reputation precedes them.
Hushpuppies have been a shoes that have stood the test of time. These men’s shoe are a great pick.
6. New Balance Women’s Walking Shoe
New Balance definitely deserves a second spot on this list, and that is because its WW411v2 women’s hook and loop walking shoe is among the best on this list. It is a quality Velcro walking shoe made out of leather and synthetic rubber soles, with plush cushioning and versatile design.
To begin with, you have a selection of uppers to choose from depending on your budget. You can have high-quality PU leather or real leather, with the only difference being that real leather is tougher and more expensive. Then, you have a thick synthetic rubber sole to help cushion the feet.
Inside, they have a removable insert for the feet in case you need to use orthotics. They also have EVA padding and soft mesh for the mouth and tongue. With the added perforations on the upper for breathability, your feet will feel fresh even on hot days.
Like all other New Balance shoes, you can order them in various sizes and widths for your specific foot profile.
- Durable leather uppers for foot protection and long life.
- The variable sizes and widths mean that you can select the best fit for your feet.
- They are deep with removable inserts so that you can use them with medical orthotics.
- Highest rated shoes for the elderly, which means that users have a lot of confidence in them.
- Super comfortable, with extra padding.
New Balance is a great name to trust. These women’s shoes are great for walking.
7. Dr. Scholl’s – Men’s Brisk Dual Strap Sneaker
Dr. Scholl’s shoes aren’t your typical walking shoes. They are designed from the ground up, with the most common foot problems that people experience in mind.
The Dr. Scholl was a doctor who specialized in feet and built his company around solutions for the various issues associated with them.
Dr. Scholl’s Brisk Dual Strap sneakers offer the ultimate in comfort, balance, breathability, and class. Thanks to their unique air-pillow gel insoles, walking in them feels like walking on pillows.
They also feature mesh and faux leather uppers. The two give you a balance of flexibility, durability, and strength. They are perfect for all-day walking because they allow for a lot of air circulation.
- Superior comfort, thanks to the air-pillow gel technology.
- Soft and flexible partly because of the faux leather and mesh combination.
- They’re perfect for prolonged walking, and the embedded mesh promotes air circulation to prevent sweating.
- They are perfect for people with large feet.
If you like walking for long periods at a time, having soft flexible but strong shoes are your best bet for good balance and comfort. Dr. Scholl’s men’s dual-strap sneakers are especially suitable.
8. FEIFAN Women’s Water Shoe
Seniors also love the beach and water, and it can be a hassle finding the best water shoes for them. This is where the Feifan Style women’s water shoes save the day.
While there are many different kinds, these shoes feature a Velcro strap for easy removal.
Feifan water shoes are feather-weight, fully breathable, and styled after the manner of normal shoes. That way, you can also use them in the house or to walk around the block.
Another major advantage is that they fit like socks. When it comes to balance, they are like an extension of your feet. They also have a padded interior with a removable insole to fit different foot sizes.
- They are made of breathable mesh, which prevents sweating and swelling.
- They fit like a glove and are lightweight, making them perfect for light walking or for the beach.
- They are very cheap.
- They are modeled after daily walking shoes so that they can be used for various other daily activities.
While the Feifan water shoes are not for every day walking, they are perfect for indoor use and for the beach, swimming, fishing, and other leisure activities.
9. Dockers Men’s Newpage Sporty Outdoor Sandal Shoe
For casual wear, nothing is better for elderly men than Velcro sandals. The Dockers men’s Newpage outdoor sandals feature the best in terms of comfort, durability, and affordability.
Being sandals, the Dockers are suitable for those with swelling or sweaty feet. That makes them suitable for walks in the city as well as indoor use. They are super comfortable, with memory foam inserts resting upon fusion footbeds.
The uppers are pure leather while the sole is made of soft, lightweight synthetic rubber. They are well-balanced and fit perfectly so that they almost feel like extensions to your feet.
- Being open shoes, they are perfect for those with sweaty feet, swelling, or other injuries.
- Leather uppers and a rubber sole make them very durable.
- They’re lightweight and well balanced.
- They’re name-brand quality.
Open Velcro shoes are especially convenient for older people. In hot and humid places, they’re the only practical solution.
10. Mei MACLEOD Casual Women’s Walking Shoes
The Mei Macleod casual shoes for women have the best customer satisfaction rates among all Velcro walking shoes.
They are uniquely designed for those who have medical conditions that cause problems like swelling, extreme sensitivity, pain, among others.
They are especially lightweight, easy to put on and off, and can be adjusted to suit different foot sizes. Firstly, they feature a unique single-strap closure system which, when open, leaves the shoes completely open for easy foot insertion.
They can then be fastened easily for a tight or loose fit depending on the user preference.
The upper is breathable mesh textile, which helps to prevent sweating. It is also light-weight to make the shoes as comfortable as possible. The sole is made of light synthetic rubber, which helps with balancing and shock absorption.
The shoe is also deep to allow for medical inserts and can be had in a choice of 11 colors.
- Very light-weight and comfortable.
- It is breathable.
- Wide toes for a more spacious toe room.
- Very affordable.
The Mei Macleod casual women’s walking shoes are perfect for those whose comfort, balance and pain alleviation are paramount.
What to Look For When Buying Shoes for Seniors
The elderly have a completely different set of needs that have to be addressed when it comes to their shoes. Unlike the younger generation for whom fashion and style rank among the highest factors, the elderly care about comfort and overall experience.
You need to know what factors are most important to you or to the person for whom you’re getting the shoes. It could be that they only need shoes for indoor use, or hiking, or even for work. Such factors inform what type of shoe you will buy.
That being said, here is a comprehensive list of what you need to look for when buying Velcro shoes for seniors.
The size of a shoe is essential for everybody, but it becomes crucial for elderly people. That is because a poorly fitting shoe could lead to tripping and falling. It could also cause chafing and pain.
Luckily, most shoes for the elderly come in various sizes as well as widths to fit various foot profiles. Most are also adjustable to cater for swelling.
The shoes need to have padding in every area. This includes the insoles, collar, toes, and tongue. They also need to have sufficient arch support for those with flat feet.
Feet need to breathe to prevent medical issues, as well as swelling and odors. As far as possible, go for perforated or open shoes that allow for proper air circulation.
The legs of elderly people may no longer have the strength to deal with heavy shoes. Therefore, you must go for lightweight and well-balanced shoes to avoid fatigue.
Ease of Use
Seniors need shoes that they can put on and off easily. This means that they should not have laces, should be wide-mouthed, and heel support where possible.
Soles for Traction
More than 70% of seniors are susceptible to the dangers of slipping and falling. Given their weakened bones and joints, this is a major concern that a good shoe can address. Always go for a rubber sole that can offer protection against sliding.
Velcro shoes have always been preferred for seniors due to their ease of fastening. Laces pose a tripping danger and are also very inconvenient for shaky fingers and failing eyesight.
There are many types of Velcro shoes in the market, but they rarely tick all the boxes. These mentioned here will be sure to put a smile on the face of every elderly person.
Other Popular Articles: