The most effective way of burning calories and keeping fit is doing exercises. However, this may not be possible for seniors due to their weak muscles and limited mobility. One of the best fitness machines seniors should consider for exercises is a treadmill.
These machines allow seniors to walk or run to burn calories. With a treadmill, you can turn your home into a personal fitness studio which will save you a lot of money you would have spent in the gym. They are also convenient for seniors because they can use them anytime irrespective of the weather. Again, a treadmill allows you to exercise any time irrespective of the weather.
The best small treadmills for seniors, you should have long handrails, extra cushioning, large surface area and one with safety features. To save your time when buying these machines, we have compiled a list of the best small treadmills for seniors that are worth your money. Check them below.
Top 10 Small Treadmills for Seniors
1.Horizon T101 Go Series Treadmills, Easy to Use Features and Durable Construction
- Very advanced and affordable
- Exceptional design
- 3 zone variable response cushions
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Has a device holder
- A bit heavy
Horizon T101 Go Series comes first in this list as the best small treadmill for seniors. As compared to others, it comes with more thoughtful features which are not easy to find in other models. For example, it has an advanced Bluetooth connectivity which allows you to connect the treadmill to different media devices.
Apart from that, it has an inbuilt device holder which provides a space where you can keep your tablet or phone. This holder is very strong and it will keep your items secure even when you are doing intensive runs.
What makes this unit ideal for seniors is that it has 3 unique variable response cushioning systems which allows you to walk or run for long hours. You will also find that the deck has a soft cushion around the impact zone and a firm cushion on the push-off zone. The unit also comes with a rapid USB port which allows you to charge your devices as you exercise.
It uses a 2.5 CHP motor which runs at a lower RPMs to prevent noise and also boost efficiency. It has 10 incline key, 10 speed keys plus program keys.
2.NordicTrack T Series Treadmills ( 5S & 6.5Si Models)
- Bluetooth enabled
- It has many inbuilt programs
- Easylift folding design
- Decent price
- Large 10 inches touchscreen for iFit classes
- Weight capacity of up to 300 lbs
- iFit requires monthly membership subscription
- Lacks cooling fans
NordicTrack T Series Treadmills comes second as one of the best treadmills for senior walking as you can see here. It has an advanced space saving design which has an easy lift assist. Due to this design, you can easily fold it up after using it for easier storage. Apart from the design, it has a 10% automatic incline-matching technology and 10 mph smart speed adjustments.
The other thing you need to know is that it uses a 2.6 CHP DurX commercial plus motor which makes it perfect for jogging, running or walking. Another thoughtful feature is the immersive 10 inches HD smart touchscreen monitor which allows you to stream iFit classes.
The one touch controls enables you to adjust the speed and incline within seconds. It is also easy to navigate even for seniors. The Flex Select cushioning system enables you to use double cushioning isolators which reduces impact on your ankles and knees.
In addition, it has dual cardio grip sensors on the handrails which monitors your heart rate. The unit is also compatible to iPod sound system which means that you can simply connect it to the console and listen to music from the dual 2 inches speakers. You can also stream global high-energy studio sessions with top personal trainers who controls your treadmill’s incline, decline and speed instantly.
- Exerpeutic TF2000 Recovery Walking Treadmill with Full Length Hand Rails
Exerpeutic TF2000 Treadmill is specially designed for seniors and people who are recovering from various ailments. It features an extended treadmill belt which has a white dash. This dash allows you to indentify the belt movement easily. It also comes with ten shock-absorbing cushions, which has additional reinforcement. This is an important feature because it reduces impact when walking.
Another thing you need to note is that the treadmill uses a 1.5HP high torque motor which uses ‘Quiet Drive’. This minimizes noise when walking. The 49 inches full length handrails are well padded with foam to enhance safety and easy fitness walking. You will also find that the handrails extends at the back of the unit for easy off and on for people with different levels of mobility.
The unit also features a backlit LCD display which shows the distance walked, time, pulse and calories burned. It also has a safety clip plus a stop button which makes it great for seniors. For easy set up, it features a 5 inches low deck height. Again, it comes with 2 accessory holders and a hand pulse which enables you to measure your preferred heart rate. Transport wheels are also included for easy movement.
- 4 adjustable stabilizers
- Backlit LCD display
- 10 shock absorbing cushions
- Very quiet
- 300lb weight capacity
- Does not fold up
- Sunny Health & Fitness Manual Treadmill with 16 Levels of Magnetic Resistance, 300LB Max Weight and Dual Flywheels
The first thing you will note about this treadmill is its unique design. Unlike others, it features multi-grip handrails which are sweat resistant. Due to this, it is very easy to use for seniors. This design also allows you to walk or run in different positions. In addition, it has a large running surface with a measurement of 53 L X 16W. You should also note that this treadmill doesn’t require electricity since it is completely self-powered.
Another thing you will love about it is that it has 16 levels of magnetic resistance. This makes it a good option for full body cardio exercises. It also enables you to challenge your body with high levels of tension and different speeds. You should also note that it uses soft-drop hydraulic mechanism which enables the deck to lower gently to the floor. This mechanism also protects your floor from scuffing when dropping the treadmill base.
The other unique feature you will find in this unit is the dual flywheels which requires you to use more energy. As a result, it allows you to burn more calories as compared to other treadmills due to the increased level of resistance. A sweat guard is also included to protect the flywheel from sweat and debris.
- Multi-grip and non-slip handles
- Foldable with soft drop mechanism
- Transport wheels
- 16 levels of resistance
- Dual flywheels
- Heavy-duty steel frame
- Body Solid Endurance T50 Walking Treadmill for Low Impact Exercises, Rehabilitation
Here comes another top class treadmill for seniors. One of the things you will be quick to notice about it is the full length handrails which are 2-inch padded. These rails provide a safe and secure grip. Another feature you will find in this machine is the oversized LED display plus the large controls. These features make the unit comfortable and easy to use for seniors.
In addition, it has a heart rate monitor which is positioned at the front of the treadmill. A safety tether is also included which helps to cut power from the motor to prevent accidents.
Moreover, the treadmill contains thick walking belts which are ergonomically positioned to boost comfort. It also features a wide rear entry ramp which is easy to access. You can adjust the speed from 0.1mph to 5mph. Also note that it supports a maximum weight of 310 pounds. Lastly, the frame has a lifetime warranty and the other parts are covered by a 5 years warranty.
- Large LED display
- Very slow which makes it great for seniors
- Comfortable full-length handrails
- User-friendly design
- Very loud
- XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill Black
XTRRRA Fitness TR150 combines performance and quality you would expect from a treadmill. It is very flexible and you can easily fold it for easier storage. Since it is designed for home use, you will find that it comes with many thoughtful featured to enhance comfort and performance especially for seniors. To start with, it is powered by a high torque 2.25 HP motor which is covered by a 1-year warranty. It also features a large walking surface with a measurement of 16” x 50”.
The speed varies from 0.5-10 mph which makes it ideal for users with different levels of fitness. In addition, it has 3 manual incline settings and 12 preset workout programs. It also has direct access speed buttons which enables you to access different speeds from 1mph to 9 mph. The handgrip pulse sensors are mounted on the side handlebars to help you achieve your workout goals.
The XTRA soft cushioned deck technology helps in impact and shock absorption. Accessory holders are also included and you can use them to keep your water bottle, phone, remote control and portable music player.
- Inbuilt reading rack
- Accessory holders
- Affordable price
- Easy to read 5 inch LCD display
- Handgrip sensors are located at convenient places
- Frame has a lifetime warranty
- No lights on the console
- Cheap quality
- Goplus Folding Treadmill Electric Motorized Power Fitness Running Machine with LED Display
Goplus Folding Treadmill Electric Motorized Power Fitness Treadmill is available in two
colors which are black and pink. It uses a 2.0HP motor which is very strong. The frame is made of top quality steel and the unit allows a maximum capacity of 220 lbs.
The running belt provides seniors with a sturdy and comfortable workout experience. It also comes with an IPAD/Mobile phone holder. If you have a limited space, this unit will be a great choice because it is very small. In addition, you can easily fold it for easier storage. Transport wheels are also added for easier movement. Another thing that that makes this unit great for seniors is that it has several safety features such as an emergency stop button and a safety key connect.
Besides that, it is also equipped with a multi-function LED display which allows you to check your speed, heart rate, distance, time and calories.
- Available in pink and black colors
- Heavy-duty construction
- Space saving design
- Affordable price
- Safety features
- Mobile phone and IPAD holder
- Cheap quality
- Too small
- Sunny Health & Fitness Exercise Treadmills, Motorized Running Machine –SF-T7603
Sunny Health and Fitness SF- T7603 comes with handrail controls and a pulse monitor that allows you to set your target heart rate. It also comes with portable wheels which enables you to move it around without damaging the floor. The LCD monitor displays the distance, and time.
This monitor also has 9 workout programs which allows you to set your fitness goals. In addition, this machine features an adjustable incline with excellent shock absorption. This means that you can tune up your exercises with three levels of adjustable incline. As a result, it has less impact on your joints and legs. Also note that it is made of a solid steel to enhance durability. For those who are on a tight budget, this is one of the most affordable options on the market.
- Sturdy and quiet
- Pulse grip and LCD monitor
- Adjustable incline
- Nice speed range of 0.5-9 mph
- 6 months warranty
- Not durable
- Inconsistent belt speed
- Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill Cardio Electric Running Machine for seniors
Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill comes with humanized long arms which makes it easy to use for seniors. The long arms enable seniors to walk steadily and this prevents accidents.
It also contains footpads which protects the floor from potential damages. In addition, it is equipped with an easy to read LED monitor which indicates speed, calories, time, mode and distance. This enables seniors to track their performance easily.
In terms of construction, you will find that the unit is made of a reinforced steel to enhance durability. This means it won’t get damaged easily. It also has a wide running belt which provides steadiness and comfort during workouts. Another thing seniors will love about this machine is that it has double safety design. It has an emergency stop button which prevents unexpected injuries.
- Double safety design
- Easy to read LED monitor
- Extra long arms
- Sturdy and long lasting frame
- Foot pads protects your floor
- Acechin Treadmill for Walking, Folding Treadmills for Small Spaces, Motorized Fitness Compact Running Equipments with LCD for Home
Acechin Treadmill is another affordable treadmill for those who are searching for a cheap option. It also has a space saving design which means that you can use it even on tight spaces. One of the things you will love about it is the multifunctional LCD display which allows you to view time, speed, distance, heart rate and burned calories. It also comes with a wireless pulse sensor which monitors your heart rate.
The other rare feature you will find in this machine is the self-lubrication refueling button. You will just need to add the lubricant on the hole then allow the treadmill to run itself at a high speed for some time. The treadmill will dispense the oil automatically. This unit also uses a low noise monitor and an auto stop safety feature which enables it to stop instantly in case of an emergency. Also note that it is available in 4 different colors. Lastly, it supports up to 100kgs or 220 lbs.
- Easy to put together
- Small profile
- Stop safety function
- Quiet while operating
- No pause button
- Not fast enough
Why should seniors use a treadmill?
- Easy to use– As compared to other fitness equipments, treadmills are the most user-friendly machines for seniors. They have a flat surface which means that you don’t have to worry about uneven terrain or tripping over.
- Safe– Treadmills for seniors are built with the highest safety standards. Most of them feature an emergency stop button, safety clips that ensure that the user is well protected from potential accidents.
- Easy to store– Another benefit is that you won’t mind about storage space because they have a compact design. Some are easy to fold which enable s them to fit even on very tight spaces.
- Blood circulation– Just like other exercises, walking, running or jogging on a treadmill boosts circulation of blood in the body. Apart from that, it strengthens your heart.
- Preset exercise programs– The other thing is that most of these units comes with preset programs. These programs may vary in terms of speed which means that you can adjust according to your fitness level. As a result, they make the treadmill comfortable to use. Some models allow you to set your preferred workout programs which matches your needs.
- Track progress– With a treadmill, you can easily track your performance through the screen. The screen displays time, speed, distance, calories burned, heart rate among other important things. Tracking your stats is very important especially to those who want to lose weight.
How to choose the best small treadmill for seniors
- Handrails – The handrails should be very comfortable for seniors. Long and padded rails are the best for seniors. They should also be strong, stable and non-slip.
- Large belt– When using a treadmill, mistakes are likely to happen even at a low speed. A treadmill with a large surface area is the best to move around because even if you lose a step, you can still recover.
- Safety features– You need to check additional safety features like a safety clip, emergency stop button and user-friendly controls. These features make the treadmill safe for seniors. They also prevent potential accidents.
- Extra cushioning– Most seniors experience joint problems. This means that they may not be able to walk or jog comfortably if it is not well padded. A well-cushioned treadmill is important because it minimizes impact.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is treadmill good for the elderly?
A treadmill is one of the best fitness equipments seniors should use to improve cardio tolerance and to burn calories. However, it should have safety features to prevent accidents.
- Which is the best treadmill for seniors?
If you are searching for the best small treadmill for seniors, Horizon T101 Go Series will be the most suitable. It is sturdy, safe and comes with advanced features as compared to others.
- Does treadmill help lose belly fat?
Running or walking is a great way to lose belly fat. This means that a treadmill will be a fantastic option.
- Which is the cheapest treadmill for seniors?
For those who are on a budget, Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill is one of the most affordable options. It also has a smaller size as compared to others.
Wrapping it up
Exercises have many health benefits for everyone including seniors. However, most seniors are not able to do complex workouts which means that walking, running or jogging will be the best exercise for them. Treadmills provide the most effective ways of doing exercises because you can easily track your progress. They are also easy to use and safe for seniors.
However, searching for the best treadmills for senior citizens is not easy because they need special units with safety features. Luckily, you now have a list of the best treadmills for senior citizens that will give you the best performance. All those products we have reviewed have been tested for quality, durability, safety and performance even as you can see from those links we have included. Again, they are not only good for seniors but also for other members of your family.