The most effective way of burning calories and keeping fit is doing exercises. Due to limitations, seniors may not have the access to a gym or work out programs. One of the best fitness machines seniors should consider for exercises is a treadmill.
These machines allow seniors to walk, burn calories, and retain muscle. With a treadmill, you can turn your home into a personal fitness studio. This can save you a lot of money. They are also convenient for seniors because they can use them anytime. Including bad weather days
To save your time searching, we have compiled a list of the best small treadmills for seniors. Take a look to find the right one that fits your needs.
Top 10 Small Treadmills for Seniors
Finding the right treadmill is important. From safety features, to easy of use, we have you covered.
1. Horizon T101 Go Series Treadmills, Easy to Use Features and Durable Construction
- 3-Zone variable response cushioning
- Feather light folding
- Bluetooth enabled.Deck Thickness:0.7 inch
This is one of our top picks. First because it is affordable, and second because it has a great design. Plus it has a device holder. Meaning, if you like watching shows or sports on your tablet, it has a holder for you.
Horizon T101 Go Series comes first in this list as the best small treadmill for seniors. As compared to others, it comes with more thoughtful features which are not easy to find in other models. For example, it has an advanced Bluetooth connectivity which allows you to connect the treadmill to different media devices.
Apart from that, it has an inbuilt device holder which provides a space where you can keep your tablet or phone. This holder is very strong and it will keep your items secure even when you are doing intensive runs.
What makes this unit ideal for seniors is that it has 3 unique variable response cushioning systems which allows you to walk or run for long hours. You will also find that the deck has a soft cushion around the impact zone and a firm cushion on the push-off zone. The unit also comes with a rapid USB port which allows you to charge your devices as you exercise.
It uses a 2.5 CHP motor which runs at a lower RPMs to prevent noise and also boost efficiency. It has 10 incline key, 10 speed keys plus program keys.
- Very advanced and affordable
- Exceptional design
- 3 zone variable response cushions
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Has a device holder
- A bit heavy
2. NordicTrack T Series Treadmills ( 5S & 6.5Si Models)
- 30-Day iFIT Family Membership Included; Stream live & on-demand workouts on your equipment with Global Workouts & Studio Classes; Add up to 5 users; Elite trainers adjust your equipment ($39 value)
- Immersive 10-inch interactive HD touchscreen streams on-demand iFIT workouts directly to your equipment and provides easy stats tracking; SMART-Response motor for effective running and cardio training
- 10 % OneTouch incline control; 10 MPH SMART OneTouch speed control; Your iFIT Trainer auto-adjusts your smart treadmill’s speed and incline for a fully optimized workout that meets your goals
NordicTrack T Series Treadmills comes second as one of the best treadmills for senior walking as you can see here. It has an advanced space saving design which has an easy lift assist.
Due to this design, you can easily fold it up after using it for easier storage. Apart from the design, it has a 10% automatic incline-matching technology and 10 mph smart speed adjustments.
The other thing you need to know is that it uses a 2.6 CHP DurX commercial plus motor which makes it perfect for jogging, running or walking. Another thoughtful feature is the immersive 10 inches HD smart touchscreen monitor which allows you to stream iFit classes.
The one touch controls enables you to adjust the speed and incline within seconds. It is also easy to navigate even for seniors. The Flex Select cushioning system enables you to use double cushioning isolators which reduces impact on your ankles and knees.
In addition, it has dual cardio grip sensors on the handrails which monitors your heart rate. The unit is also compatible to iPod sound system which means that you can simply connect it to the console and listen to music from the dual 2 inches speakers.
You can also stream global high-energy studio sessions with top personal trainers who controls your treadmill’s incline, decline and speed instantly.
- Bluetooth enabled
- It has many inbuilt programs
- Easy lift folding design
- Decent price
- Large 10 inches touchscreen for iFit classes
- Weight capacity of up to 300 lbs
- iFit requires monthly membership subscription
- Lacks cooling fans
3. Exerpeutic TF2000 Recovery Walking Treadmill with Full Length Hand Rails
- Designed for people in recovery and seniors' home Use. Treadmill belt size: 50" L x 16" w. 300 lbs. User weight capacity
- 49” Full length walking assistant hand rails with foam padding provide safe, easy fitness walking
- Speed starts at 0.2 MPH and adjusts in increments of 1/10's MPH up to a maximum of 5 MPH. 10 shock absorbing deck cushions with extra reinforcement for reducing joint impact while walking
Exerpeutic TF2000 Treadmill is specially designed for seniors and people who are recovering from various ailments. It features an extended treadmill belt which has a white dash.
This dash allows you to indentify the belt movement easily. It also comes with ten shock-absorbing cushions, which has additional reinforcement. This is an important feature because it reduces impact when walking.
Another thing you need to note is that the treadmill uses a 1.5HP high torque motor which uses ‘Quiet Drive’. This minimizes noise when walking.
The 49 inches full length handrails are well padded with foam to enhance safety and easy fitness walking. You will also find that the handrails extends at the back of the unit for easy off and on for people with different levels of mobility.
The unit also features a backlit LCD display which shows the distance walked, time, pulse and calories burned. It also has a safety clip plus a stop button which makes it great for seniors.
For easy set up, it features a 5 inches low deck height. Again, it comes with 2 accessory holders and a hand pulse which enables you to measure your preferred heart rate. Transport wheels are also included for easy movement.
- 4 adjustable stabilizers
- Backlit LCD display
- 10 shock absorbing cushions
- Very quiet
- 300 pound weight capacity
- Does not fold up
4. Sunny Health & Fitness Manual Treadmill with 16 Levels of Magnetic Resistance, 300LB Max Weight and Dual Flywheels
- MULTI-GRIP HANDRAILS: Sweat-resistant rails support many grips, so you can push against the tread and run or walk in various running positions.
- AMPLE TREAD DECK: The larger running surface is 53L X 16W providing support and room for exercise. The manual treadmill measures 59L X 27H X 55W inches with a max weight of 300 lbs. 13.5% Fixed recline.
- MANUAL TREAD: This fitness machine requires zero electricity and completely self-powered. The adjustable magnetic resistance and fixed recline allow you to enjoy a versatile and muscular power-based cardio workout. 31L x 27W x 58H Folded Dimensions.
The first thing you will note about this treadmill is its unique design. Unlike others, it features multi-grip handrails which are sweat resistant.
Due to this, it is very easy to use for seniors. This design also allows you to walk or run in different positions. In addition, it has a large running surface with a measurement of 53 L X 16W. You should also note that this treadmill doesn’t require electricity since it is completely self-powered.
Another thing you will love about it is that it has 16 levels of magnetic resistance. This makes it a good option for full body cardio exercises. It also enables you to challenge your body with high levels of tension and different speeds.
You should also note that it uses soft-drop hydraulic mechanism which enables the deck to lower gently to the floor. This mechanism also protects your floor from scuffing when dropping the treadmill base.
The other unique feature you will find in this unit is the dual flywheels which requires you to use more energy. As a result, it allows you to burn more calories as compared to other treadmills due to the increased level of resistance.
A sweat guard is also included to protect the flywheel from sweat and debris.
- Multi-grip and non-slip handles
- Foldable with soft drop mechanism
- Transport wheels
- 16 levels of resistance
- Dual flywheels
- Heavy-duty steel frame
5. Body Solid Endurance T50 Walking Treadmill for Low Impact Exercises, Rehabilitation
- SPEED: This Body-Solid treadmill is designed for a low impact workout with speeds from . 1 mph to 5 mph. Enjoy the comfort of the gym from home
- HANDRAILS: Features a 2" wide handrail that extends the length of the treadmill. Ideal for seniors, and use in recovery and rehabilitation. Grip along the middle, and sides for added support
- ERGONOMIC: The thick walking belt provides added comfort with an ergonomically positioned contact heart rate monitor. Includes an easy access entry ramp
Here comes another top class treadmill for seniors. One of the things you will be quick to notice about it is the full length handrails which are 2-inch padded.
These rails provide a safe and secure grip. Another feature you will find in this machine is the oversized LED display plus the large controls. These features make the unit comfortable and easy to use for seniors.
In addition, it has a heart rate monitor which is positioned at the front of the treadmill. A safety tether is also included which helps to cut power from the motor to prevent accidents.
Moreover, the treadmill contains thick walking belts which are ergonomically positioned to boost comfort. It also features a wide rear entry ramp which is easy to access.
You can adjust the speed from 0.1mph to 5mph. Also note that it supports a maximum weight of 310 pounds. Lastly, the frame has a lifetime warranty and the other parts are covered by a 5 years warranty.
- Large LED display
- Very slow which makes it great for seniors
- Comfortable full-length handrails
- User-friendly design
- Very loud
6. XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill Black
- Large 16" x 50" walking/running surface accommodates users of many sizes and stride lengths
- Intuitive 5" LCD display is easy to read and keeps you updated on speed, incline, time, distance, calories and pulse
- 12 preset programs and 3 manual incline settings offer unmatched variety for your workouts
XTRRRA Fitness TR150 combines performance and quality you would expect from a treadmill. It is very flexible and you can easily fold it for easier storage.
Since it is designed for home use, you will find that it comes with many thoughtful featured to enhance comfort and performance especially for seniors.
To start with, it is powered by a high torque 2.25 HP motor which is covered by a 1-year warranty. It also features a large walking surface with a measurement of 16” x 50”.
The speed varies from 0.5-10 mph which makes it ideal for users with different levels of fitness. In addition, it has 3 manual incline settings and 12 preset workout programs.
It also has direct access speed buttons which enables you to access different speeds from 1mph to 9 mph. The handgrip pulse sensors are mounted on the side handlebars to help you achieve your workout goals.
The XTRA soft cushioned deck technology helps in impact and shock absorption. Accessory holders are also included and you can use them to keep your water bottle, phone, remote control and portable music player.
- Inbuilt reading rack
- Accessory holders
- Affordable price
- Easy to read 5 inch LCD display
- Handgrip sensors are located at convenient places
- Frame has a lifetime warranty
- No lights on the console
- Cheap quality
7. Goplus 2.25HP Folding Treadmill Electric Portable Motorized Power Running Fitness Machine
- It Helps You Keep Fit, Prevent Diseases, And Decrease The Stress Of Life Or Work As Well
- This Folding Treadmill Is Ideal For Everyday Running Workout Fitness
- It Features Easy-Fold Design For Easy Storage And Heavy-Duty Steel Frame
Goplus Folding Treadmill Electric Motorized Power Fitness Treadmill is available in grey. It uses a 2.25HP motor which is very strong. The frame is made of top quality steel and the unit allows a maximum capacity of 220 lbs.
The running belt provides seniors with a sturdy and comfortable workout experience. It also comes with an IPAD/Mobile phone holder. If you have a limited space, this unit will be a great choice because it is very small. In addition, you can easily fold it for easier storage. Transport wheels are also added for easier movement. Another thing that that makes this unit great for seniors is that it has several safety features such as an emergency stop button and a safety key connect.
Besides that, it is also equipped with a multi-function LED display which allows you to check your speed, heart rate, distance, time and calories.
- Available in grey
- Heavy-duty construction
- Space saving design
- Affordable price
- Safety features
- Mobile phone and IPAD holder
- Cheap quality
- Too small
8. ANCHEER Treadmill, 3.25hp, App Control, Folding Treadmill Machine for Home with Automatic Incline
- 【Smart Treadmill That Connects with App】Treadmill Integrates with the FitShow app via Bluetooth for easy operation and custom routines. The treadmill is shipped promptly from within the US.
- 【Powerful 3.25hp Motor and Large Belt Area】The smooth and quiet motor has 12 preset programs ranging from beginner to advanced. The 47" x 17" belt area gives plenty of space for running, and the equipment can support up to 300 lbs load.
- 【Soft Drop System & Automatic Incline】This folding treadmill is equipped with a soft drop system that prevents damage to the floor or equipment when unfolding it. It offers automatic incline adjustment between 0% and 15% to add more intensity to workouts.
Ancheer folding treadmill pumps out 3.25hp to support your fitness needs. This is a Smart Treadmill which means it connects with an App to help track progress.
There are 12 programs to choose from. The easiest is beginner all the way up to advanced.
The quiet motor supports a 47″ by 17″ belt area which is plenty of space for walking or running. It can hold up to 300 pounds.
We love the folding treadmill with a soft drop system that helps prevent damage to the floor when unfolding.
When in use the treadmill offers an automatic incline adjustment between 0 percent to 15 percent. The large and clear LCD screen shows distance, calories burned, time, speed, and target zone heart rate monitoring. There is a built-in safety switch that ensures immediate shut-off in emergencies.
To set up, Ancheer provides a great instructional video to help with quick set up.
- Sturdy and quiet
- Adjustable incline
- Nice speed range of 0.5-9 mph
- 12 months warranty
- Built-in safety strap
9. Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill Cardio Electric Running Machine for seniors
- 【Clear LCD Display & 12 Preset Modes】An easy-to-operate LCD display helps you monitor your real time exercise data (speed, distance, time, calories, heart rate) for a more efficient workout. The built-in 12 programs provide different training for various purpose.
- 【Multifunctional Handrail with Heart Sensor】Handrails of this compact treadmill come with speed control, start/stop and heart rate monitoring functions. Use our foldable treadmill for a relaxing stroll with a speed under 3MPH or a professional running experience with speedup to 6MPH simply by adjusting speed with the convenient handrail.
- 【Comfortable Running Belt & Scientific Incline Angle】The 39” x 14” wide 5-layer non-slip texture belt is made of PVC, polyester fiber with high strength, which would not warping, bending or deformed easily. The running deck with scientific incline angle provide multi-position shock absorption and better work out performance.
Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill comes with humanized long arms which makes it easy to use for seniors. The long arms enable seniors to walk steadily and this prevents accidents.
It also contains footpads which protects the floor from potential damages. In addition, it is equipped with an easy to read LED monitor which indicates speed, calories, time, mode and distance. This enables seniors to track their performance easily.
In terms of construction, you will find that the unit is made of a reinforced steel to enhance durability. This means it won’t get damaged easily. It also has a wide running belt which provides steadiness and comfort during workouts. Another thing seniors will love about this machine is that it has double safety design. It has an emergency stop button which prevents unexpected injuries.
- Double safety design
- Easy to read LED monitor
- Extra long arms
- Sturdy and long lasting frame
- Foot pads protects your floor
10. OMA Treadmills for Home 5108EB
- 【Heavy-Duty Steel Support Up To 300lbs】OMA treadmill is made of COMMERCIAL THICKNESS STEEL with grit blasting and passes thousands of running tests. We must make sure our treadmill is safe and durable for your daily home exercise.
- 【36 Preset Programs For Diverse Running】No need a fitness coach. OMA treadmills possess 36 PRESET PROGRAMS & 3 CUSTOM PROGRAMS. You can make plans for yourself and running at home. Track your Speed, Distance, Pulse, Time and Calories on the screens.
- 【Fast Control Handle For Easy Adjustment】You can press the BUTTON on the handle to start or stop at any moment and quickly adjust the speed up to 8.1 MPH (13 KM/H). Good for multiple running styles combining running & jogging & walking.
Oma Treadmill is another affordable treadmill for those who are searching for a viable option. It also has a space saving design which means that you can use it even on tight spaces.
One of the things you will love about it is the multifunctional LCD display which allows you to view time, speed, distance, heart rate and burned calories. It also comes with 36 preset programs and super easy to assemble.
- Supports up to 300 pound
- 36 preset programs
- Stop safety function
- Quiet while operating
- Medium width
Why should seniors use a treadmill?
Treadmills are a great choice for anyone, young or old. Here are a few simple reasons why.
- Easy to use– As compared to other fitness equipments, treadmills are the most user-friendly machines for seniors. They have a flat surface which means that you don’t have to worry about uneven terrain or tripping over.
- Safe– Treadmills for seniors are built with the highest safety standards. Most of them feature an emergency stop button, safety clips that ensure that the user is well protected from potential accidents.
- Easy to store– Another benefit is that you won’t mind about storage space because they have a compact design. Some are easy to fold which enable s them to fit even on very tight spaces.
- Blood circulation– Just like other exercises, walking, running or jogging on a treadmill boosts circulation of blood in the body. Apart from that, it strengthens your heart.
- Preset exercise programs– The other thing is that most of these units comes with preset programs. These programs may vary in terms of speed which means that you can adjust according to your fitness level. As a result, they make the treadmill comfortable to use. Some models allow you to set your preferred workout programs which matches your needs.
- Track progress– With a treadmill, you can easily track your performance through the screen. The screen displays time, speed, distance, calories burned, heart rate among other important things. Tracking your stats is very important especially to those who want to lose weight.
How to choose the best small treadmill for seniors
As we looked at each treadmill, we found a few key features to look for.
- Handrails – The handrails should be very comfortable for seniors. Long and padded rails are the best for seniors. They should also be strong, stable and non-slip.
- Large belt– When using a treadmill, mistakes are likely to happen even at a low speed. A treadmill with a large surface area is the best to move around because even if you lose a step, you can still recover.
- Safety features– You need to check additional safety features like a safety clip, emergency stop button and user-friendly controls. These features make the treadmill safe for seniors. They also prevent potential accidents.
- Extra cushioning– Most seniors experience joint problems. This means that they may not be able to walk or jog comfortably if it is not well padded. A well-cushioned treadmill is important because it minimizes impact.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is treadmill good for the elderly?
A treadmill is one of the best fitness equipments seniors should use to improve cardio tolerance and to burn calories. However, it should have safety features to prevent accidents.
- Which is the best treadmill for seniors?
If you are searching for the best small treadmill for seniors, Horizon T101 Go Series will be the most suitable. It is sturdy, safe and comes with advanced features as compared to others.
- Does treadmill help lose belly fat?
Running or walking is a great way to lose belly fat. This means that a treadmill will be a fantastic option.
- Which is the cheapest treadmill for seniors?
For those who are on a budget, Gymax Walking Jogging Fitness Exercise Treadmill is one of the most affordable options. It also has a smaller size as compared to others.
Exercise has many health benefits for everyone including seniors. Having a treadmill in your home is a great way to get in steps no matter what the weather outside.