Did you know that proper shoes for the elderly with balance problems are a great investment? As people get older, they need to make sure they have properly fitting shoes that are easy to tie and put on each day.
Fall injuries can have long-term effects like chronic disability, fear, and even premature death.
Falling often can instill fear in elderly persons and limit their mobility which will in turn cause them to lose strength, balance, and flexibility in their legs even further.
Table of Contents
Top Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
Finding the right shoe is important. We did the research. Here are the top picks.
1. Secret Slippers Women’s Air Cushion
These slippers make you feel like you are walking on air. If you are healing from surgery, pregnant, have swollen feet or are on your feet a lot, these are for you.
For some of our clients, they use these as house shoes and chose another shoe below for when they are out and about. Image coming home and slipping into a cloud. Your feet will thank you.
- Rubber sole for safety
- Air cushion designed to absorb shock
- Easy to put on and off
- Super comfortable
- Wide shoes available
- Target users: Diabetics, Pregnant, Sensitive skin, Healing from surgery and more
- Adjustable and come in 10 sizes
- Great for swollen feet
2. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk
Sketchers are a popular shoe when it comes to comfort. The Go Walk shoe has had many versions. Some of our consumers love the original go walk while others like the latest version 4 below.
While on a Viking River Boat Cruise in France, I noticed most of the ladies my mom’s age wore the Go Walk. With age comes wisdom, hence I got a pair in pink to match most of my wardrobe. Now these are my go to especially when I am traveling or walking a lot.
- Rubber sole
- Easy to put on
- Variety of colors and sizes to choose from
- Feel like you are walking on air
- Shock absorbing
- Mesh shoe great for swollen or sore feet
3. Clarks Women’s Sillian Bella Flat
Clark shoes are known for their amazing leather quality. The first I heard of these was when I worked in a factory. Most of the older ladies were wearing them. After I inquired on their quality, I of course got some.
Not only do they look good, but the quality lasts. Plus you can walk on these for hours with no complaints. The Mary-Jane style is adorable and the velcro is great if you need to adjust later in the day with swelling.
- Rubber sole great for absorbing shock
- Feels like you are walking on a cloud
- Clark brand comfort and quality
- Has ortholite foot bed
- Heel height is 1.35 inch
- Variety of sizes
- Mary-Jane style with support velcro closure
4. Propet Women’s Tour Walker
When looking for the right shoe after surgery or due to aging, the Propet Tour Walker is perfect. When we reviewed this shoe, we found many of our customers with limited mobility prefer this shoe with velcro.
The footbed of the Propet shoe is removable. What that means is if you need a little bit more room or need to insert customized orthotics, they have you covered.
- 100% Leather Comfort
- Rubber sole absorbs shock
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Velcro closure for safety and easy to put on and off
- Offered in a variety of colors and sizes and width
- Removable footbed
5. Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker
When looking for a comfortable sneaker, we only found a few our customers prefered. One of which is the Propet Cronus Comfort Sneaker.
These sneakers are made with neoprene which means they stretch and breath. And if they get wet, they dry fast. The bottom sole is rubber which is great for absorbing friction.
- 100% Neoprene stretch and breathable
- Rubber sole for absorption
- Heel measures approximately 1 1/4″
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Easy on and off with velcro closures
- Great for post surgery, diabetics, or other foot injuries
6. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk 4
One of my favorite shoes is the Sketcher’s Go Walk 4. In fact, I love the original and Go Walk 4.
What this shoe offers you is comfort, ease of use, and lightweight. The midsole is made with Sketcher’s patented 5Gen technology. Simply slip on the shoe and go.
- 100% Soft fabric that breathes
- Platform is approximately 1.25 inches
- Super lightweight
- Built with 5GEN midsole cushioning
- Uses Goga Max high rebound footbed to energize every step
- Soft mesh upper and virtually seamless construction for comfortable fit
- Made with bamboo in foot bed to control odor
- Flexible material to support tired feet
Choosing comfortable shoes for seniors is one of the best ways to manage all the changes in the feet hence preventing pain and unnecessary falls.
It is very important to have a consultation with a podiatrist or foot specialist to measure the size of the foot before buying the best shoe for a senior with balance problems.
Even though most people prefer to wear slippers and socks while in the house, wearing a shoe designed for balanceing is recommended to avoid falls.
Other Awesome Resources:
- Best Shoes For Ankle Support When Walking
- Extra Wide Women’s Shoes For Swollen Feet
- Most Comfortable Shoes For Diabetics Feet
- Best Lightweight Velcro Shoes for Elderly
- Best Shoes For Elderly With Swollen Feet
- Safe Slippers For Elderly People
- Best Shoes For Swollen Ankles And Feet