In a Hurry? Below are the Best Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems:
Did you know that proper shoes for the elderly with balance problems are a great investment? As people get older, they need to make sure they have proper fitting shoes that are easy to tie and put on each day.
Fall injuries can have long term effects like chronic disability, fear and even premature death.
Falling often can instill fear in elderly persons and limit their mobility which will in turn cause them to lose strength, balance and flexibility in their legs even further.
Top Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
Finding the right shoe is important. We did the research. Here are the top picks.
1. Secret Slippers Women’s Air Cushion
- CUSHIONING & SUPPORT - With air cushion design of shock absorption to protect your feet and keep your ankle more comfortable. High density 70D memory foam cushions your every step and feels like ergonomic pillows under your feet. Supportive insole relaxes your arch and soothes common foot pains (e.g. plantar fasciitis) from all-day walking or standing.
- EASY TO PUT ON AND OFF - Forefoot straps are highly adjustable thanks to velcro closures, the range of adjustment is ideal for changes in the degree of swelling. The diabetic velcro closures slipper is placed on the foot rather than the foot having to be forced into it by the wearer.
- INSTANT RELIEF - Surround Your Feet With These SUPER COMFORTABLE, AMAZINGLY SOFT extra wide shoes. VERY ROOMY To Accommodate Swollen Feet. Your Feet Will Feel Like They Are On A Cloud. Helps Relieve Pressure From Swollen Feet Conditions, Edema, Ulcers, Pressure Sores, Diabetes, Sensitive Skin, & Helps Recover From Pain.
- Rubber sole for safety
- Air cushion designed to absorb shock
- Easy to put on and off
- Super comfortable
- Wide shoes available
- Target users: Diabetics, Pregnant, Sensitive skin, Healing from surgery and more
- Adjustable and come in 10 sizes
- Great for swollen feet
2. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk
- Rubber sole
- Easy to put on
- Variety of colors and sizes to choose from
- Feel like you are walking on air
- Shock absorbing
- Mesh shoe great for swollen or sore feet
3. Clarks Women’s Sillian Bella Flat
- Cloud steppers
- Cushion soft
- Heel height approximate 1.35 inch
- Rubber sole great for absorbing shock
- Feels like you are walking on a cloud
- Clark brand comfort and quality
- Has ortholite foot bed
- Heel height is 1.35 inch
- Variety of sizes
- Mary-Jane style with support velcro closure
4. Propet Women’s Tour Walker
- 100% Leather Comfort
- Rubber sole absorbs shock
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Velcro closure for safety and easy to put on and off
- Offered in a variety of colors and sizes and width
- Removable footbed
5. Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker
- 100% Neoprene stretch and breathable
- Rubber sole for absorption
- Heel measures approximately 1 1/4″
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Easy on and off with velcro closures
- Great for post surgery, diabetics, or other foot injuries
6. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk 4
- Radically lightweight
- Innovative and highly responsive 5GEN midsole cushioning
- New Goga Max high rebound footbed energizes every step
- 100% Soft fabric that breathes
- Platform is approximately 1.25 inches
- Super lightweight
- Built with 5GEN midsole cushioning
- Uses Goga Max high rebound footbed to energize every step
- Soft mesh upper and virtually seamless construction for comfortable fit
- Made with bamboo in foot bed to control odor
- Flexible material to support tired feet
Why Do You Need Special Walking Shoes For Elderly?
- Heel Cushioning
As people age, it is common for their feet to start losing shape and become flat as a result of fat loss and this causes balance problems and pain especially on the heel.
A walking shoe with a bit of a heel cushioning will protect the feet from pressing hard against the floor thus preventing inflammation and irritation.
- Enjoy the Comfort
Apart from losing fat, some elderly people also lose feeling in their feet and develop bunions, curled toes and carouses which only make the balance issue worse.
The best shoes for balance problems have soft interior and deep wide toe box to accommodate the swelling and bunions so they won’t get irritated.
- Offering Support
Due to pain and other feet problems, most elderly people wear soft unstructured shoes that contribute largely in falling.
The biggest advantage of support shoes for elderly is that they enhance stability, motion control and give that extra support to the feet so you don’t lose balance.
- Prevent Sliding Injuries
Due to weight, most elderly people slide along their feet when walking instead of lifting them up.
Sliding is one of the main causes of falls in elderly people in the house and other slippery places like the lawn.
The best walking shoes for elderly are designed with a tread and also a treaded beveled heel to prevent slipping.
- For Stability
Most shoes are designed with narrow sole and toe box because that is what looks good…
Unfortunately, for old peoples shoes, a narrow heel can be cause for instability while narrow toe box cause pain and bunions.
Special walking shoes for elderly to prevent falls are made with a very wide heel to enhance stability.
Different Types of Shoes for Elderly People
(The links in this section will lead you to Amazon.com where you’ll be able to check the product’s price and hundred of customer reviews. Read some of these reviews to gauge the suitability this product before buying.)
1. Best Slip On Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
These are basically low, casual lace-free shoes also known as loafers.
Slip on shoes has elasticated inserts on the side so they fit snugly but they are also easy to take off.
They are also lightweight and come with a medium heel which is wide enough to enhance stability.
· Slip on shoes for elderly women.
For ultimate comfort, motion control and support, Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk Slip-On Walking Shoes are the way to go.
· Slip on shoes for men.
Men have a very wide variety of slip on shoes in form of moccasins, loafers, boat shoes and driving shoes.
They can be worn at home or when going out for any occasions. Merrell Men’s Jungle Moc Slip-On Shoecomes with a breathable mesh lining and heel air cushion to absorb shock and to add stability.
2. Best Orthopedic Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
Orthopedic shoes for seniors are specifically designed to correct abnormal mechanics and structure of foot and ankles.
They are recommended by podiatrists and sometimes custom made for the patient who suffers from edema, bunions, diabetes, heel spur and arthritis.
· Orthopedic shoes for women.
Women run around throughout the day to cover all their roles as moms, business women, employees and wives. Check out this Orthofeet Pain Relief Women’s Orthopedic Diabetic Athletic Sneaker for orthotic support,easy gait and a great solution for foot pain, heel pain and arch Pain relief.
· Orthopedic shoes for men.
A lot of men struggle with diabetes and bunions which is why Orthofeet Pain Relief Orthopedic Comfortable Diabetic Flat Feet Shoe is great because of cushioning and maximum comfort.
3. Best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis.
Plantar Fasciitis is a condition that normally presents itself with sharp pain on your heel when you wake up.
It is caused by continued stretching and tearing of the fascia as a result of exercise, too much weight and poor shoes.
Plantar Fasciitis patients should look for shoes with high shock absorbency, good arch support and moderate heel.
· Men shoes for plantar fasciitis.
This Orthofeet Plantar Fasciitis Comfortable Mens Sneaker has unbelievable cushioning and is perfect for plantar Fasciitis feet problems.
· Women shoes for plantar fasciitis.
Orthofeet Women’s Orthopedic Diabetic Athletic Sneaker for Plantar Fasciitis are great shoes for elderly ladies who are always on their feet and love to work out because they are wide, supportive and have great shock absorption.
4. Velcro Shoes For Seniors.
Velcro shoes are invaluable part of elderly people’s lives who find it so hard to tie shoe laces because of back pain and swollen fingers.
Not only do Velcro fasteners make it easy to wear and take off shoes but they are also easy to adjust when the feet swell.
The best Velcro shoes for elderly should be lightweight and wide for comfort and slip resistant to prevent fall.
· Velcro shoes for elderly ladies.
New Balance Women’s Velcro Walking Shoes are popular old people sneakers for women on the go due to their comfort and style among other cool factors.
· Velcro shoes for elderly men.
Propet Men’s Life Walker Strap Sneaker are lightweight Velcro shoes that offer comfort, safety and stability without compromising on style.
5. Best Sandals for Elderly.
While it is advisable that elderly people wear closed shoes for stability and support, sandals also come in handy when it’s hot or you are in the house or on the beach.
Sandals are flat open type footwear that leaves most of the foot exposed and which is good for those people who sweat a lot or feel hot in the feet.
The best sandals for seniors however should have ample heel for arch support, enough cushioning on the insole and a strap around the ankle for stability.
· Sandals for men.
While men sandals should look masculine; they must also be light, comfortable and have enough shock absorption.
These Teva Sandles are perfect with three Velcro straps and cool leather material.
· Sandals for women.
Women’s sandals should be stylish, soft and easy to wear and adjust.
6. Best Walking Shoes for Elderly.
The shoe must have a roomy toe box, good traction, enough shock absorption and cushioning on the midsole.
· Best walking shoes for older men.
Men who want to stay fit without hurting their delicate feet will really appreciate the light, flexible and breathable Skechers Go Walk 4 easy to put on shoes for seniors.
· Walking shoes for women.
Elderly ladies need the best sneakers for seniors when walking or hiking.
Ideally they should be light, comfortable and beautiful shoes. Propet Women’s W3851 Wash & Wear Slip-On offer perfect traction and they are very comfortable.
7. Best Dress Shoes for Seniors.
For seniors who need to attend meetings and other formal events, dress shoes are the perfect choice to wear with a suit or any smart casual outfit.
The best shoes for old people must be light and comfortable because you may find yourself on the dance floor or at a party.
· Dress shoes for men.
Men’s dress shoes are usually made of black or brown leather with some decorative brogues on the seams.
ALDO Biaggo-U Dress Shoes will make you feel like James Bond at every party.
· Dress shoes for women.
Women’s dress shoes come in a variety of styles and colors to choose from.
The most common types include pumps, slingbacks, ballet flats and mules and wedges. But this flat sole Vionic Slip on dress shoe is perfectly suitable for a senior woman.
8. Best Work Shoes for Elderly With Balance Problems
Formal wear to the office and business meetings need to be matched with the right work shoes for seniors.
They must be breathable, wide-toed and light because you will be wearing them for long hours.
· Work shoes for men.
Whether it’s brown or black, the Skechers for Work Men’s Slip Resistant is perfect to wear for an elderly man.
· Work shoes for women.
CLARKS Women’s Cheyn Madi Loafer is comfortable and sophisticated enough for office and business.
Do’s & Don’ts – How to Properly Use Old People Shoes.
- consider a custom fit when buying footwear
- always add a standard cushioned insole especially if your floors are cemented
- buy shoes with enough padding under the tongue and all round if you have sensitive feet
- tighten your laces or Velcro closure enough to not slip inside the shoe
- add an orthopedic insole for arch support
- only buy shoes with wide or roomy toe box
- make sure the shoe has a firm heel grip and tread to avoid sliding
- always try on the shoes in the afternoon when feet are bigger and swollen
- don’t wear a shoe whose heel is more than 2 inches tall
- don’t wear a very tight shoe that will rub against your skin
Factors to Consider When Buying Shoes for Elderly with Balance Problems.
While most shoes for elderly are designed to be comfortable, not all of them can help with balance issues and preventing falls.
These features are what make shoes for elderly with balance problems better than the rest;
There are many features that make shoes for elderly more comfortable than others including wide toe box, shock absorbing midsole, orthotics, enough padding and breathable upper.
The most comfortable shoes for elderly should also be lightweight and have room for extra cushioning because you custom orthotics make your feet more comfortable.
Comfort should not be compromised because it’s what will keep your feet from getting hurt.
Lack of stability is a major contributor of falls in elderly people. A stable shoe ideally has a wide flat sole with only a small heel and enough back support.
The feet must be snugly held in place by a strap or back support to avoid sliding inside the shoe.
Backless shoes are risky because they don’t support the entire foot and they can cause ankle twisting.
- Easy To Wear And Maintain
The last thing elderly people with balance issues want to do is to struggle with tying shoe laces and removing their shoes.
Velcro closures with a wide strap are preferred over shoe laces and other closures because they make it easy to wear and take off shoes as well as adjust.
Shoes with Velcro for the elderly must also be low maintenance and easy to clean with just a simple wipe.
- Shoe Size
As people get older, their shoe size is bound to change because the feet grow longer and wider not to mention lose heel fat.
It is critical that you get your feet measured before buying shoes for seniors in order to get the right fit because the wrong size can be detrimental to your feet.
Sizing charts can be very misleading for elderly people buying shoes online so it’s better to try on the shoes physically before paying.
- Arch Support
Do you over pronate or under pronate? This is a question that a podiatrist can help you with by looking at your feet and how your shoes wear off.
You can also do the wet foot test to find out your arch type so you can get the right shoe for that gait.
The best shoes for elderly woman and man should have a bit of a heel and a thick stable outsole to provide enough arch support especially for your heel.
Choosing comfortable shoes for seniors is one of the best ways to manage all the changes in the feet hence preventing pain and unnecessary falls.
As people age is it important to take preventative measures and a good pair of shoes for balance problems is critical.
It is very important to have a consultation with a podiatrist or foot specialist to measure the size the feet before buying the best safe shoes for elderly.
Even though most people prefer to wear slippers and socks while in the house, wearing the best shoes for elderly with balance problems is recommended to avoid falls.
Other Awesome Resources:
- Best Shoes For Ankle Support When Walking
- Extra Wide Women’s Shoes For Swollen Feet
- Most Comfortable Shoes For Diabetics Feet
- Best Lightweight Velcro Shoes for Elderly
- Best Shoes For Elderly With Swollen Feet
- Safe Slippers For Elderly People
- Best Shoes For Swollen Ankles And Feet