Did you know that proper shoes for the elderly with balance problems are a great investment? As people get older, they need to make sure they have proper fitting shoes that are easy to tie and put on each day.
Fall injuries can have long term effects like chronic disability, fear and even premature death.
Falling often can instill fear in elderly persons and limit their mobility which will in turn cause them to lose strength, balance and flexibility in their legs even further.
Table of Contents
- Top Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
- Why Do You Need Special Walking Shoes For Elderly?
- Key Things To Consider
Top Shoes For Elderly With Balance Problems
Finding the right shoe is important. We did the research. Here are the top picks.
1. Secret Slippers Women’s Air Cushion
- CUSHIONING & SUPPORT - With air cushion design of shock absorption to protect your feet and keep your ankle more comfortable. High density 70D memory foam cushions your every step and feels like ergonomic pillows under your feet. Supportive insole relaxes your arch and soothes common foot pains (e.g. plantar fasciitis) from all-day walking or standing.
- EASY TO PUT ON AND OFF - Forefoot straps are highly adjustable thanks to velcro closures, the range of adjustment is ideal for changes in the degree of swelling. The diabetic velcro closures slipper is placed on the foot rather than the foot having to be forced into it by the wearer.
- INSTANT RELIEF - Surround Your Feet With These SUPER COMFORTABLE, AMAZINGLY SOFT extra wide shoes. VERY ROOMY To Accommodate Swollen Feet. Your Feet Will Feel Like They Are On A Cloud. Helps Relieve Pressure From Swollen Feet Conditions, Edema, Ulcers, Pressure Sores, Diabetes, Sensitive Skin, & Helps Recover From Pain.
These slippers make you feel like you are walking on air. If you are healing from surgery, pregnant, have swollen feet or are on your feet a lot, these are for you.
For some of our clients, they use these as house shoes and chose another shoe below for when they are out and about. Image coming home and slipping into a cloud. Your feet will thank you.
- Rubber sole for safety
- Air cushion designed to absorb shock
- Easy to put on and off
- Super comfortable
- Wide shoes available
- Target users: Diabetics, Pregnant, Sensitive skin, Healing from surgery and more
- Adjustable and come in 10 sizes
- Great for swollen feet
2. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk
Sketchers are a popular shoe when it comes to comfort. The Go Walk shoe has had many versions. Some of our consumers love the original go walk while others like the latest version 4 below.
While on a Viking River Boat Cruise in France, I noticed most of the ladies my mom’s age wore the Go Walk. With age comes wisdom, hence I got a pair in pink to match most of my wardrobe. Now these are my go to especially when I am traveling or walking a lot.
- Rubber sole
- Easy to put on
- Variety of colors and sizes to choose from
- Feel like you are walking on air
- Shock absorbing
- Mesh shoe great for swollen or sore feet
3. Clarks Women’s Sillian Bella Flat
- Cloud steppers
- Cushion soft
- Heel height approximate 1.35 inch
Clark shoes are known for their amazing leather quality. The first I heard of these was when I worked in a factory. Most of the older ladies were wearing them. After I inquired on their quality, I of course got some.
Not only do they look good, but the quality lasts. Plus you can walk on these for hours with no complaints. The Mary-Jane style is adorable and the velcro is great if you need to adjust later in the day with swelling.
- Rubber sole great for absorbing shock
- Feels like you are walking on a cloud
- Clark brand comfort and quality
- Has ortholite foot bed
- Heel height is 1.35 inch
- Variety of sizes
- Mary-Jane style with support velcro closure
4. Propet Women’s Tour Walker
When looking for the right shoe after surgery or due to aging, the Propet Tour Walker is perfect. When we reviewed this shoe, we found many of our customers with limited mobility prefer this shoe with velcro.
The footbed of the Propet shoe is removable. What that means is if you need a little bit more room or need to insert customized orthotics, they have you covered.
- 100% Leather Comfort
- Rubber sole absorbs shock
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Velcro closure for safety and easy to put on and off
- Offered in a variety of colors and sizes and width
- Removable footbed
5. Propet Women’s Cronus Comfort Sneaker
When looking for a comfortable sneaker, we only found a few our customers prefered. One of which is the Propet Cronus Comfort Sneaker.
These sneakers are made with neoprene which means they stretch and breath. And if they get wet, they dry fast. The bottom sole is rubber which is great for absorbing friction.
- 100% Neoprene stretch and breathable
- Rubber sole for absorption
- Heel measures approximately 1 1/4″
- Medicare/HCPCS code A5500 diabetic shoe
- Easy on and off with velcro closures
- Great for post surgery, diabetics, or other foot injuries
6. Skechers Performance Women’s Go Walk 4
- Radically lightweight
- Innovative and highly responsive 5GEN midsole cushioning
- New Goga Max high rebound footbed energizes every step
One of my favorite shoes is the Sketcher’s Go Walk 4. In fact, I love the original and Go Walk 4.
What this shoe offers you is comfort, ease of use, and lightweight. The midsole is made with Sketcher’s patented 5Gen technology. Simply slip on the shoe and go.
- 100% Soft fabric that breathes
- Platform is approximately 1.25 inches
- Super lightweight
- Built with 5GEN midsole cushioning
- Uses Goga Max high rebound footbed to energize every step
- Soft mesh upper and virtually seamless construction for comfortable fit
- Made with bamboo in foot bed to control odor
- Flexible material to support tired feet
Why Do You Need Special Walking Shoes For Elderly?
As people age, it is common for their feet to start losing shape and become flat as a result of fat loss and this causes balance problems and pain especially on the heel.
A walking shoe with a bit of a heel cushioning will protect the feet from pressing hard against the floor thus preventing inflammation and irritation.
Enjoy the Comfort
Apart from losing fat, some elderly people also lose feeling in their feet and develop bunions, curled toes and carouses which only make the balance issue worse.
The best shoes for balance problems have soft interior and deep wide toe box to accommodate the swelling and bunions so they won’t get irritated.
Due to pain and other feet problems, most elderly people wear soft unstructured shoes that contribute largely in falling.
The biggest advantage of support shoes for elderly is that they enhance stability, motion control and give that extra support to the feet so you don’t lose balance.
Prevent Sliding Injuries
Due to weight, most elderly people slide along their feet when walking instead of lifting them up.
Sliding is one of the main causes of falls in elderly people in the house and other slippery places like the lawn.
The best walking shoes for elderly are designed with a tread and also a treaded beveled heel to prevent slipping.
Most shoes are designed with narrow sole and toe box because that is what looks good…
Unfortunately, for old peoples shoes, a narrow heel can be cause for instability while narrow toe box cause pain and bunions.
Special walking shoes for elderly to prevent falls are made with a very wide heel to enhance stability.
Key Things To Consider
While most shoes for elderly are designed to be comfortable, not all of them can help with balance issues and preventing falls.
These features are what make shoes for elderly with balance problems better than the rest;
There are many features that make shoes for elderly more comfortable than others including wide toe box, shock absorbing midsole, orthotics, enough padding and breathable upper.
The most comfortable shoes for elderly should also be lightweight and have room for extra cushioning because you custom orthotics make your feet more comfortable.
Comfort should not be compromised because it’s what will keep your feet from getting hurt.
Lack of stability is a major contributor of falls in elderly people. A stable shoe ideally has a wide flat sole with only a small heel and enough back support.
The feet must be snugly held in place by a strap or back support to avoid sliding inside the shoe.
Backless shoes are risky because they don’t support the entire foot and they can cause ankle twisting.
Easy To Wear And Maintain
The last thing elderly people with balance issues want to do is to struggle with tying shoe laces and removing their shoes.
Velcro closures with a wide strap are preferred over shoe laces and other closures because they make it easy to wear and take off shoes as well as adjust.
Shoes with Velcro for the elderly must also be low maintenance and easy to clean with just a simple wipe.
As people get older, their shoe size is bound to change because the feet grow longer and wider not to mention lose heel fat.
It is critical that you get your feet measured before buying shoes for seniors in order to get the right fit because the wrong size can be detrimental to your feet.
Sizing charts can be very misleading for elderly people buying shoes online so it’s better to try on the shoes physically before paying.
Do you over pronate or under pronate? This is a question that a podiatrist can help you with by looking at your feet and how your shoes wear off.
You can also do the wet foot test to find out your arch type so you can get the right shoe for that gait.
The best shoes for elderly woman and man should have a bit of a heel and a thick stable outsole to provide enough arch support especially for your heel.
Choosing comfortable shoes for seniors is one of the best ways to manage all the changes in the feet hence preventing pain and unnecessary falls.
As people age is it important to take preventative measures and a good pair of shoes for balance problems is critical.
It is very important to have a consultation with a podiatrist or foot specialist to measure the size the feet before buying the best safe shoes for elderly.
Even though most people prefer to wear slippers and socks while in the house, wearing the best shoes for elderly with balance problems is recommended to avoid falls.
Other Awesome Resources:
- Best Shoes For Ankle Support When Walking
- Extra Wide Women’s Shoes For Swollen Feet
- Most Comfortable Shoes For Diabetics Feet
- Best Lightweight Velcro Shoes for Elderly
- Best Shoes For Elderly With Swollen Feet
- Safe Slippers For Elderly People
- Best Shoes For Swollen Ankles And Feet