In a Hurry? Below are some of the Best Pedal Exercisers for Seniors:
As we continue to age, getting an effective and convenient way to exercise our body often becomes more challenging and proves to be great if not a tiring task.
It is at this point that you need a pedal exerciser specially designed for seniors. It is safe, easy to use, and pretty flexible. Any senior can hack using one.
A pedal exerciser is a mini exercise bike designed for low impact indoor workouts. Normally, the pedal exerciser does not come with a seat or handlebar.
It uses the pedal mechanism to strengthen both your legs and arms and comes in a compact size which ensures that it fits in anyplace that you want. Pedaling has been proven to be a very effective cardio exercise.
In this article, we are going to dig deep into pedal exercisers for seniors in a bid to help you find your best fit.
Let’s start with what key pointers you should look out for when choosing apedal exerciser.
Factors to consider when buying a pedal exerciser for seniors
Before you buy a pedal exerciser, it is always good to do your homework to find an item that fits your needs. Some of the important things that you need to pay attention to include:
Advice from your doctor
It is important that you first consult with your doctor beforehand to seek advice on whether the pedal exercise is good for your health especially if you have heart problems. This will avert any health complications that may otherwise arise.
Size of the pedal
Before buying the pedal exerciser check to confirm the width and height of the pedal. Go for a pedal whose height is shorter than the width. This will ensure that your exerciser is more stable and will not rock when you are pedaling. Considering the size also helps you to settle on a product that will fit your space well.
Pedal exercisers that come with straps to offer more security. Adjustable straps help to keep your feet firm on the pedal. Some brands even provide straps to secure the product to a chair or sofa. This would be an added advantage for the senior because it would help secure him firmly during the workout, avoiding unnecessary injury.
Another important consideration to take before buying a pedal exerciser is how quiet it is during a workout. This is so that you are neither disturbed by noise during your workout nor disturb others around you. The drive belt and resistance system are the keys to what makes a good pedal exerciser quiet.
Bidirectional pedal motion
Settle for a pedal exerciser that allows you to pedal both forward and reverse. Reverse pedaling on some exercises is believed to elicit a higher heart rate. It also reduces pressure on the joints.
Consider going for a pedal exerciser that has a digital display with big numbers for quick visibility. Digital displays enable you to keep track of your workout values. These include distance covered, time, speed, and amount of calories burnt during the entire workout session.
Pedal exercisers that come with a wider platform offer better balance and stability compared to those with a narrow platform. Good balance and stability are important in reducing falls during a workout.
A longer warranty proves the quality of the product and builds consumer confidence. Consider a pedal exerciser that comes with a warranty as it covers repairs and even replacement should the product breakdown or malfunction during the warranty period.
During periods of workout, seniors may require different resistance levels. A pedal exerciser with adjustable resistance can cater to these various needs.
There are a variety of pedal exercisers available in the market giving choices to consumers based on their budget. Select a pedal exerciser that is within your budgeted reach without compromising on the final quality or individual needs and preferences.
Top Picks: Pedal Exerciser For Seniors
You know what to look for. Now take a look at our top picks to find one that is right for you.
1. Sunny Health Mini Bike
- SAFETY STRAPS: Pedals work well with both feet and hands. Pedals are adjustable to fit foot or hands for safety and stability.
- ADJUSTABLE TENSION: 8 Levels of tension for a versatile workout. Adjust resistance to challenge your arms and legs toward building muscle.
- EASY TO READ LCD: Displays Time, Speed, Distance, ODM, Calories
For more than a decade, Sunny Health & Fitness has taken pride in distributing high-quality health and fitness products, and this mini magnetic bike is no exception.
For starters, this mini exercise bike is lightweight, making it perfectly portable. You can carry it around if you so wish.
It is made of a durable steel frame, so this bike is guaranteed to give you years of great service.
This Sunny Health & Fitness magnetic bike is all about versatility. It features eight tension controllers ensuring that you get the most out of every workout. It’s magnetic pedaling systems are smooth and silent, so you can comfortably go on with your workout session without the fear of disturbing other people around you.
The exercise bike’s pedals come with adjustable safety straps that keep the feet in place during the entire workout session. They are adjustable, making them perfect fit different foot sizes.
If you are particular about keeping track of your calories then you will love that it comes with an LCD that shows the number of calories burnt during the workout session, distance covered, speed, to mention a few.
- It is very lightweight, making it easier to carry around
- Features 8 different tension controllers that allow the user to exercise different muscles
- Features an LCD to keep track of your progress
- Its pedals have safety straps to keep you secure
- There have been complaints of the exerciser sliding off the floor
- The maximum user weight of this bike is only 220 pounds
If you are particular about buying from reputable brands, you are better off with this exerciser. However, you must be weighing 220 pounds and below to use.
2. Tabeke Mini Bike
- 【MULTIPLE STABILITY DESIGN】 The low-profile design and 3.3lbs heavy flywheel can effectively prevent slippage during exercise. Mini exercise bike made of steel material can withstand a weight of more than 400 pounds. Provide a mat made of PVC mesh cloth, which is close to the ground and has super adhesion. The extra fixing strap can firmly fix the chair and mini exercise bike together.
- 【SAFE AND STABLE】The low-profile design prevents the mini exercise bike from swinging and sliding when in use. Sturdy frame and non-slip feet for safety and efficient. Each pedal also has a non-slip surface, with molded finger grips and an adjustable four-hole straps for added comfort and safety.
- 【PORTABLE AND EASY TO STORE】Lightweight design, portable and easy to assemble. The portable handle function makes the fitness exercise bike always ready. Product size: 13.7" x 15.7" x 11.6". You can put it under the desk, beside the sofa or in the locker. Small size and space saving - can be used at home or office.
Next on the list is the TABEKE Under Desk Pedal Exerciser by TABEKE. The bike is effortless to assemble and operate; it’s lightweight and has a handle making it portable and easy to store.
Like most mini exercise bikes, this one also features a bright, easy-to-read LCD that shows the time, number of calories burnt during the workout session, distance, and speed, and heart rate.
The bike also has anti-slip pedals that can accommodate any type of shoes.
When it comes to extra comfort and safety, this bike has got you covered. The bike’s pedals feature adjustable straps and a toe ring that keeps the user’s feet in place throughout the workout session. It is also equipped with an adjustable resistance knob, making it ideal for seniors with fragile bones and muscles.
- It has a bright and easy-to-read LCD to track progress
- It has an adjustable toe ring and pedal straps for extra safety.
- It is lightweight, making portable and easy to store.
- Some customers claim that it has very little resistance
This is a basic pedal exerciser that is pretty easy to use. If you are not so handy when it comes to putting things together, this is for you.
3. Deceli Under Desk Exercise
- 【Physical Therapy Exerciser for You】 DECELI Peddler can be placed under your working desk or next to your sofa to provide proper low impact exercise and improve blood circulation. Perfect addition for physiotherapy and rehabilitation exercise, can be used as an arm exerciser or leg exerciser.
- 【Multifunctional LCD Monitor】 The electronic monitor displays exercise time, distance, revolution count, total revolution count, and calories burned to help you keep track of the progress. Press the red button twice shortly to switch between data. Press and hold the button to reset all the data other than total revolution count. 1 AAA batteries is needed (Not Included).
- 【Non-Slip Design】The base of the exercise pedal bike includes four anti-skid rubber pads, which can prevent sliding while pedaling to ensure stability and surface protection. The adjustable foot bands are flexible to suit different sizes of feet. An extra strap is provided for securing.
Another excellent option for seniors is this mini exercise bike by DECELI. This one also features a bright, easy-to-read LCD monitor display that shows the time, the number of calories burned, the rounds of cycling covered, and the speed.
It also has an adjustable resistance button that gives the user a chance to either crank it up or go slow with the workout, depending on their muscles and bone strength.
DECELI is all about safety; that is why the bike has anti-slip pads at the base of the bike to keep it steady throughout the workout session. It’s pedals also have adjustable safety straps to keep the user’s feet in place during the entire workout session.
It has a handle, weighs 13 pounds, and measures 13.7″ by 15.7″ by 11.6,” making it portable and easy to store.
- It is lightweight, portable and easy to store
- Comes with anti-slip pads to keep it steady
- Features safety straps on the pedals that provide extra safety
- There have been complaints of the pedal straps not being adjustable enough
Like the other two exercise bikes, this one is also suitable for seniors, but the anti-slip pads at the base are what makes this one stand out from the rest of the exercise bikes.
4. Vive Pedal Exerciser
- VERY SIMPLE ASSEMBLY : We have designed this product with your convenience in mind. Our team of engineers have created a quick-step setup to get you toning muscle instantly. All required tools will be included with each purchase for your satisfaction.
- GREAT FOR TONING MUSCLES AND IMPROVING CONCENTRATION: Compact pedal exerciser can be used to strengthen arms and legs, increasing circulation, improving stamina and relieving tension for greater focus and concentration. Quiet and smooth pedal operation allows the Vive pedal exerciser to be used in the office as well as at home. Use while on your phone, watching tv, or playing video games to include beneficial exercise in your day.
- COMPACT PATENT PENDING DESIGN FITS UNDER ANY DESK: Compact design is 12.5” high, easily fitting under a desk or similar space. Non-slip, nonmarking feet ensure the pedal exerciser stays in place on any surface, including any tabletop, carpet or hard floor surfaces. The low profile design keeps the pedal exerciser from wobbling and sliding while in use. Each pedal also has a nonslip surface with molded finger grips and adjustable toe loops for added comfort and safety.
This pedal exerciser aims at giving the user’s upper and lower muscles a low impact cardio workout, making it ideal for seniors with injuries or those who have undergone surgery.
For starters, it weighs 12 pounds and measures 16.8″ by 12.5″ by 8″ making it lightweight and easy to store, and carry around from room to room.
It also comes with straps on the pedals to help keep the feet in place during the whole workout session. The pedal exerciser features a bright, easy-to-read LCD monitor display that shows the time, speed, number of calories burned, distance, among other weight metrics.
You will love that It is very smooth and quiet, you do not have to worry about disturbing others around them. At the base of the exerciser, there are anti-slip rubber pads to help keep it steady on the floor. Even as you increase the speed it will not keep sliding off.
The exerciser comes with a screwdriver, a wrench, and a simple instruction manual, so it is easy to assemble. It also comes with a one year warranty, so you do not have to worry about malfunctions.
- It is very affordable.
- It has safety pedal straps and anti-slip rubber pads for extra safety.
- It features a bright, easy-to-read LCD monitor display that shows the time, number of calories burned, the distance, and speed.
- It is very smooth and silent
- Some customers have reported that it is not that steady
- There isn’t much difference between the resistance levels
What makes this bike unique is that it mainly targets specific upper and lower body muscles, making it ideal for seniors with muscle injuries or those who have undergone surgeries.
5. Vaunn Medical Exerciser
- SAFE & STABLE WITH LOWER HEIGHT- New model with wider base and heavy duty frame for increased stability and support during cycle. Designed with a lower height to better fit under desks and tables.
- ENJOYMENT IN EXERCISE - Combine your favorite activities with your workout routine. Place your pedaler under your desk while you work. Play an online game, read a book, watch a movie or chat with a friend while doing your workout. Exercise can be enjoyable. Note: Not for strenuous exercise or workout.
- LEGS & ARMS EXERCISER - Helps toned muscles, improves blood circulation, strengthen your shoulders, arms and legs.
Wrapping up our list is the Vaunn Medical Folding Pedal Exerciser. This pedal exerciser is unique because it is designed to provide a low impact muscle workout for people undergoing physiotherapy. So judging from that, it’s resistance levels are low.
It weighs 59 pounds and it folds down with less hassle making it easy to store and carry around. The exerciser does not need any assembling, which makes it even more suitable for seniors.
It features a bright, easy-to-read LCD that shows the revolutions per minute, time, number of calories burned, to name a few. Like all the other bikes we have reviewed, this one also has adjustable pedal straps and anti-slip rubber feet for extra safety during a workout session.
Worried about the exerciser having malfunctions? Well, it has a one year warranty so you can have a replacement as long as you have bought it from a reputable seller and you are well within the warranty terms.
- It is lightweight and easy to store
- It is ready to use upon delivery
- Features an adjustable resistance knob
- It has anti-slip rubber feet and adjustable pedal straps for extra safety
- Only ideal for people who only want super low impact exercises
The features of this pedal exerciser make it ideal for seniors who are undergoing physiotherapy.
How to use a pedal exerciser for elderly people
The best thing about a pedal exerciser is that it enables you to work out both the lower and upper body exercise.
If you want to improve your lower body strength, put the pedal exerciser on the floor. A pedaling or cycling workout will engage your hips flexors, calves, glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. A regular workout schedule can help improve the strength of your legs. As you continue to grow older, muscles found in your leg tend to weaken. However, regular sessions with your foot on the pedal helps strengthen your lower body.
When you want to exercise the upper body, put the pedal exerciser on the table or a countertop. Ensure to secure it safely by placing it on a rubber mat before starting your workout sessions. Perform cycling motion with your arms.
This works your biceps, triceps, shoulders, and forearms. Gradually increase the resistance level of your pedal exerciser to strengthen and build your upper body muscles. It is important to carry out the workouts gently so as not to cause any harm or injury to the fragile joints synonymous with old age.
Benefits of using a pedal exerciser for seniors
- You can derive several benefits from using a pedal exerciser. These include:
- Burning of calories to lose weight and keep fit
- Losing the fatty parts above the knee thus keeping your joints healthy and reducing the risks of arthritis
- Helping you maintain an active lifestyle without necessarily giving up exercising
- Improving your blood circulation and metabolism
- Improving your heart rate
- Improving your sleep and mood
- Strengthening your lower and upper body muscles
Best way to use to Use a Pedal Exerciser
To Work the Legs
The senior should slide their feet in the exerciser’s pedal grips and start pedaling (while set to medium-high resistance) as fast as possible for one minute.
He/she should then slacken to a moderate speed for the next two minutes. The cycle should then be repeated until the allotted time is over.
For aerobic activity, an elder should pedal at a uniform speed (set it to medium resistance) for up to 30 minutes.
To Work the Arms
Place the machine on a table (and on top of a rubber mat if it lacks safe rubberized feet to avoid it moving).
Hold the pedals then rotate them forward while adjusting the resistance appropriately to toughen the workout.
This should be done for 15 minutes at the end of which one should change direction and rotate the pedals in reverse (backward) for yet another 15 minutes. It’s recommended that one works out for at least the 30 minutes. Longer could even be more productive!
Pedal Exercisers For Weight Loss
Most exercises help lose weight and the pedal exercising isn’t an exception. However, a few factors come into play;
According to the many experts, one has to burn about 3,500 calories to cast off one pound of surplus fat.
Now, at low intensity and with a few minutes pedaling each day, it would take an eternity to destroy all the fat deposits.
Apart from the speed of cycling, present fitness levels, and the age affect the effectiveness.
But overall, with a higher resistance/tension and frequency, any decent exerciser should help elders win the war against overflowing fat even if it may take a while longer.
Obviously, we all know that effective weight loss needs much more than a pedal exerciser- remember to check nutrition, lifestyle, and other exercise habits.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Pedal Exerciser For Seniors
Before swiping your credit card, there are a few items you need to be sure of about the best pedal exerciser for elderly;
Modern pedal exerciser for seniors feature a display screen which display important readings including time taken, distance travelled, revolutions per minute, calories burned, and more.
Such data can be very helpful for seniors who want to track their workout goals and keep tabs on progress.
Even though they are all generally portable, a foldable floor pedal exerciser is easier to move (to the office or when traveling) and store so more favoured.
Additionally, models with a built-in ergonomical handle make it more movable and friendlier for seniors especially those suffering from a weaker grip.
Most of the best pedal exerciser for seniors allows you to adjust their resistance settings.
They have an easy to turn knob or such senior friendly mechanism to go higher/down.
Select models have an improved design and definitely last longer. For instance, you could come across a scratch resistant powered pedal exerciser while others have a tough steel frame- two qualities that elevate its longevity.
- Safety Features
In any exercise, safety comes first.
Luckily, designers of the contemporary exercise pedals for elderly seem to appreciate this and are increasingly releasing models with more safety features.
Look out for security extras like non-slip rubber feet (these stop potentially dangerous wild movements) and a protective strap (which you can use to attach the exerciser to a chair) for enhanced security.
Straps also help to keep hands/feet in place as a senior sweat it out and improve the overall experience.
- Smooth Operation
Elders easily fall in love with pedal exercisers added with magnetic resistance features.
This is because they make the motions smoother and are practically noiseless during operation.
So, how smooth is the pedal exerciser you’ve recommended to your elderly parent?
- Technological Enhancements
Manufacturers seem to be increasingly bitten by the technological bug as evidenced by the introduction of some technologically sophisticated versions.
The inclusion of advanced characteristics like a cooling technology stops dangerous overheating solving a long-standing problem amongst pedal exercisers.
An online calorie calculator – available in a few types- is also convenient as it accurately reflects the calories burned.
Certainly, such advancements make workouts more fulfilling.
The best pedal exerciser for seniors provides an easier, cheaper, and healthier training option for our senior citizens.
Our grandparents can now work out safely, conveniently, and at their own pace while reaping the many benefits of exercises including better overall health.
And with the avalanche of choices, seniors have every chance of become proactive and reclaiming a fitter lifestyle.