Moving freely isn’t possible for everyone. If you have an injury or chronic disability, it shouldn’t stop you from enjoying your favorite activities. An ultra-lightweight foldable mobility scooter can be just the answer that you need. It’s a simple option that gets you where you need to go without limitation but also without taking up too much space.
We’ve researched the best lightweight foldable mobility scooters available today to help you choose the one that’s right for you. Some models are great only for indoor use while others are great for all surfaces. Before you choose the ultra-lightweight mobility scooter model that’s right for you, know what it offers and where it’s best used so that you can easily get where you want to go.
Table of Contents
- Top Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooters
- 1. Vine 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
- 2. Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter
- 3. Porto Mobility Ranger Quattro
- 4. EV Rider AF plus Automatic Folding Mobility Scooter
- 5. FreeRider USA Luggie Standard
- 6. WISGING Folding Electric Scooter
- 7. Horizon Mobility Lightweight Electric Scooter
- 8. iLiving V8 Foldable Electric Mobility Scooter
- 9. ATTO Folding Mobility Scooter
- 10. Culver Mobility Electric Power Wheelchair Scooter
Top Lightweight Foldable Mobility Scooters
Check out our top choices for the ultra-lightweight foldable mobility scooter below.
1. Vine 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
The Vive 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter supports up to 265 pounds and drives a maximum speed of 3.7 miles per hour. Most people get around 12 miles per charge, which typically lasts an entire day.
This scooter comes equipt with three flat-free, non-marking tires. And a wide seat and backrest with gentle cushioning and support. The swivel seat rotates, allowing you to more easily step off the scooter without aggravating back pain.
The Vine 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter disassembles quickly, fitting nicely in the average-sized trunk. The Vive scooter also comes with a 5-year guarantee.
- Provides easy maneuverability
- Height adjustable seat that rotates
- Disassembles and folds easily into four pieces
- User-friendly control panel
- It may tip if you go too fast (but this is the case with many scooters)
- It’s meant for indoor or smooth outdoor terrain, not grass, mud, or uneven terrain
2. Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter
The Transformer Automatic Folding Travel Scooter drives up to 3.75 miles per hour and provides up to 13.7 miles per charge. This scooter can support up to 300 pounds.
The Transformer folds to the size of a small suitcase and easily fits inside most closets, laundry rooms, and the trunk of most cars. It measures 18.1” wide and includes an airline-approved battery.
This is one ultra-lightweight mobility scooter that packs quite a punch for riders of all sizes. It includes a lifetime frame warranty and a 24-month warranty on the electronic portion of the scooter.
- The walker automatically folds and unfolds
- Folds compactly enough to fit in a small trunk or to travel via airplane
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- Includes armrests
- Weighs close to 50 pounds
- Takes some time to learn how to maneuver it to turn corners
3. Porto Mobility Ranger Quattro
The Quattro is a portable motor scooter with a manual option, making it easy for caregivers to push the chair around too. With large 13” rear tires and two 300-watt Brushless ultra-power motors, this scooter makes it easy to get up hills and around all terrains.
These two lithium batteries are airline-approved and this scooter is light enough to drive right up to the airline gate.
Porto offers 24×7 customer service and the chair itself has a 4-year warranty on the frame, a 2-year warranty on the motor, and a 1-year warranty on the controller and batteries.
- Provides up to 20 miles of driving on a single charge
- Has two 300-watt motors for ultimate horsepower
- Folds up in five seconds, fitting in most trunks
- Excellent turning radius
- The seat may feel a little thin to some people
- Hard to maneuver on gravel
4. EV Rider AF plus Automatic Folding Mobility Scooter
The EV Rider includes a rechargeable lithium battery for ease of use. With a 10-mile battery life and puncture-proof tires, this scooter gets you where you need to go with ease.
The newly updated AF+ includes dual wheels in front for a more stable riding experience. It has a two-hand throttle control and adjustable tiller for comfortable use.
With a seat height of 20 inches and a 25” wheelbase, this is one of the smallest mobility scooters available today and it’s sturdy and stable for daily use.
- Easily storable in cars and airplanes
- Narrow 31-inch turning radius
- The battery lasts up to 10 miles
- Only wights 49lbs
- Cannot be used as a manual scooter by a caregiver
- Using the scooter on an incline may drain the battery faster
5. FreeRider USA Luggie Standard
The FreeRider Luggie Standard is a lightweight scooter that provides the electric mobility many people prefer. It provides up to 11 miles per charge with a speed of 4 miles per hour.
It folds flat for easy storage and has FDA approval for safety and stability. You can fold the scooter in just three steps and store it just about anywhere, even in tight spaces in your home.
- Provides up to 11 miles on one charge
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Drives up to 4 miles per hour
- Includes an airline-approved battery
- Must be stored in the baggage compartment of an airplane (not overhead storage)
- There’s no room for a basket on the handles
- Weighs 57 pounds
6. WISGING Folding Electric Scooter
The WISGING Folding Electric Scooter has three 10-inch wheels that provide stability and easy maneuverability. The WISGING scooter also has a reverse gear, which makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces or when in crowded areas.
This scooter can travel up to 13 miles on a fully charged battery. And can easily climb up a 15-degree steep hill.
With a compact folded design, this scooter can be stored anywhere and its battery only weighs 6.6 pounds for easy transport.
- Folds easily down to the size of a suitcase
- Travels as much as 13 miles on one charge
- Includes a removable seat cover for easy sanitation
- Can be stored upright when folded
- You may have to use a slower gear for outdoor surfaces
- Includes only a one-year warranty
7. Horizon Mobility Lightweight Electric Scooter
The Horizon Mobility Scooter has big rear tires (13″), which are just right without feeling bulky. These tires are made with the best texture for comfort.
The battery gets up to 13+ miles per charge. It is also airline-approved and the scooter folds flat enough to fit inside most trunks or tight places.
- Quiet but powerful motor
- Get up to 13 miles on one charge
- 360-degree joystick for easy maneuvering
- Includes blue-tooth remote control
- It may be slightly heavier than other models
- It doesn’t lock when in a folded position
8. iLiving V8 Foldable Electric Mobility Scooter
The iLiving V8 Electric Scooter is airplane friendly and comes with two lithium airline-approved batteries. It is easy to travel with, with a quick-and-easy two-step fold and unfold system.
Get up to 15 miles on one charge and feel safe with the bright LED headlights and taillights. One other safety feature of this scooter is that it will automatically reduce speed when you make a turn.
This scooter has a USB port that allows you to charge a cellphone and a comfortable seat that makes it easy to use even on long rides.
- Weighs just 40 pounds
- Takes just two steps to open or close it
- Speed automatically reduces when you take a turn
- Holds up to 275 pounds
- Limited colors
- You need the scooter key to access the battery compartment
9. ATTO Folding Mobility Scooter
The ATTO folds and unfolds in seconds. This folding scooter folds to the size of a small suitcase (15.3″L x 16.5″W x 28″H), or it can be split into two smaller pieces for easy transport & storage.
This scooter can hold up to 220 pounds, drive at speeds up to 4 mph, and last for 10 miles per single charge. The ATTO is also safe for air travel, and can easily fit in a plains overhead bin.
The ATTO comes with a 3-year limited warranty on the frame, a 2-year warranty on electronics, and a 1-year warranty on the drivetrain, motor, and batteries.
- Folds down to 5.3″L x 16.5″W x 28″ for easy portability
- Supports up to 220 pounds
- Easily fits into an airplane’s overhead bin
- The battery has FAA approval
- A bit pricier than other scooters
- Only one color option
10. Culver Mobility Electric Power Wheelchair Scooter
The Culver Mobility Scooter is constructed of lightweight aluminum and has FDA approval. It offers many safety features and folds up compactly, even standing up straight to store it.
This modle of scooter by Culver comes with a long lasting lithium battery providing 10+ miles per charge. The weight capacity on this scooter is 265 pounds.
The lithium battery is airline approved and its tires are big enough for stability without making the chair too bulky to store. The Culver Mobility Electric Power Wheelchair Scooter can be taken on airplanes, cruise ships, trains, and cars.
- Weighs just 55 pounds with the battery
- Works on many surfaces including grass and gravel
- Has large 13” rear tires
- Has a 360-degree waterproof joystick
- The seat may be too narrow for heavier people
- Must purchase a second battery separately if you want more distance than 10 miles
A mobility scooter is a much safer ride when compared to a bike. Most Mobility Scooters require very little effort in terms of balancing the scooter.
With a bike, we all know that one bad bump in the road and you can go flying over the handle bars. There is also a fun element to driving a Mobility Scooter.
Some Scooters can go up to 20MPH! At this stage of your life you have probably ridden enough bikes. If you think a bike would be a better fit here are a couple of articles on the best bikes for seniors: