Every home has a bathroom. But do you know that most of the accidents are likely to occur in the bathroom?
Due to their slippery nature, bathrooms are very dangerous especially to the elderly and the disabled.
The best way to enhance safety for the elderly in the shower is by installing a bathroom grab bar. Having a grab bar in your bathroom is not only good for seniors but for other members of the family as well.
These bars give you stability and balance when bathing. They prevent bad injuries which might result from falls.
There is no reason why you should not have them because they are very cheap, durable, easy to install. Plus they also give your bathroom a modern look due to their stylish nature.
In this article, we reviewed the top grab bars for your bathroom.
Table of Contents
- Top Bathroom Grab Bars for Elderly
- 1. AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Bar
- 2. Delta DCL5924
- 3. CSI Bathware Bar
- 4. Vive Bathtub Rail
- 5. Vaunn Medical Adjustable Grab Bar
- 6. Chaining Lifestyles Grab Bar
- 7. Moen R7418 Grab Bar
- 8. Moen LR2356DCH Grab Bar with Built-In-Shelf
- 9. Bathroom Grab Bar by Dr. Maya
- 10. Tesuchan Grab Bar with Anti Slip Grip
- Why Use Grab Bars?
- Consider Before You Buy
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top Bathroom Grab Bars for Elderly
1. AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Bar
- AmeriLuck Concealed Flange Grab Bars - Clean design with many choice of Brushed Nickel, White, ORB, Rustic Matt Balck finishes, nice looking without the "Hospital/Nursing home" feel.
- Premium Quality - Made of thick 304 Stainless Steel tubes (1mm thickness), plus automated welding/bending. Identical quality to Famous Brands. 6 Stainless screws are included for each bar for mounting to studs.
- Safe to USE - 500Lbs loading capacity, ADA and ANSI Compliant. The anti-skid grip makes you much safer than regular grab bars on the market.
If you are searching for the best grab bar for seniors, AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Grab Bar ADA 500lbs is undoubtedly the best. The first thing you will love about it is the stylish look which sets it apart from the rest.
Unlike others, you will find that it has decorative designs which has round, square and oval escutcheon. It is available in brushed nickel and polished chrome finishes. You can also find it in Rustic matt, ORB, Brushed Nickel, White, and matt black finishes.
In terms of materials, you should note that it is made of a premium 304 stainless steel to enhance durability. Besides that, it comes with automated flanges and it can support a loading capacity of up to 500 lbs. For easier installation, each bar comes with 6 screws.
When searching for the best bathroom grab bars for elderly, your major concern should be safety. In this regard, this grab bar is ANSI and ADA compliant. The anti-skid surface gives you stability when you are holding it.
Whether you are searching for a top quality grab bar for a swimming pool, toilet, bathtub, shower, stairway, residential or commercial place, this one is undoubtedly the best.
- Exceptional quality
- Safe to use
- Super easy to install
- Made of top quality stainless steel materials
- Lifetime durability
- It can be used in different places
- Doesn’t come with installation anchor
2. Delta DCL5924
- Brushed nickel finish combines a warm, brownish hue to the classic nickel to coordinate with any decor
- Grab bars have been designed and tested to provide leverage and support for up to 500 pounds, exceeding ADA requirements
- Zinc die cast and 304 stainless steel construction for strength and durability
Delta DCL5924 is also a top quality grab bar that will give your bathroom an amazing look. It comes with different finishes which allows you to choose the one that matches with your bathroom.
When it comes to installation, you will find all that all the necessary items are included in the package. You will also get a manual that will guide you on the installation process.
It also comes with reliable sets of screws which enables you to install it easily and securely. In terms of maintenance, it is very easy to maintain because you will only need to wipe it with a damp cloth.
A good grab bar for the elderly should be very sturdy. What you will love about DeltaDCL5921 is that it can support a maximum weight of 500 lbs while the assist bars can support up to 250 lbs.
Each grab bar features an ergonomic grip to enhance safety and stability. The assist bars comes with different sizes ranging from 9 to 36 inches. They are all well designed to fit perfectly in any bathroom.
- It adds style to your bathroom
- Comes with assist bars
- Provides a reliable support
- Fair price
- Easy to maintain
3. CSI Bathware Bar
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Wave-shaped grab bar provides multi-level support and is compatible with our right hand version for seamless design on multiple walls
- FUNCTIONAL AND SAFE: Fully ADA Compliant grab bar
- STYLISH FINISH: Twist-on flange covers and on-trend finishes coordinate with any project
CSI Bathware Bar –Wave 18-SA comes third in our list as another top class grab bar for the elderly. The first thing you will be quick to note about it is the unique wave design which gives your bathroom an exceptional look. Its design also features a twist-on flange cover which provides a clean and finished appearance.
Apart from the design, it is ADA compliant which means that it is a great choice for the disabled and the elderly. Again, it is one of the heavy-duty bath handles for elderly on the market since it supports up to 500 lbs when you install it properly. You should also note that it is made of a #305 stainless steel which is rustproof.
Each grab bar comes with all the necessary mounting hardware to provide a secure and easy installation. If you are searching for an attractive and durable grab bar for seniors, this one will be an excellent choice.
- Fashionable curved design
- ADA compliant
- Safe and functional
- Long lasting
4. Vive Bathtub Rail
- SAFELY ENTER OR EXIT THE TUB: Safely step in or out of the tub with the help of a sturdy bathtub rail. The textured bathtub grab bar provides a comfortable, nonslip grip and supports up to 300 pounds. The secure bathtub safety rail provides extra stability and security for seniors, children and those recovering from injury or surgery.
- ADJUSTS TO FIT MOST BATHTUBS: Easily adjustable, the durable composite bathtub rail fits most bathtub edges ranging between 3.75 to 6.5 inches thick. NOTE: Please measure your bathtub's edge if unsure of size.
- SCRATCH-RESISTANT ERGONOMIC RAIL: Non-wearing rubber pads protect the surface of the bathtub from scratches, scuffs and scrapes during regular use of the safety rail. The ergonomic handrail is 21” high and provides a comfortable, secure grip.
One of the major benefits of using this bathtub grab bar is that it is scratch resistant. You will find that it features non-wearing rubber pads which protects the surface from scratches, scrapes and scuffs. It has a height of 21 inches which enables it to provide a secure and comfortable grip.
Apart from that, it has a textured surface which means that it is non slip. Again, it is able to support users with up to 300 pounds. As compared to others, it provides better stability for elders, children, disabled or those recovering from injuries or surgery.
You can easily adjust it to suit any bathroom with edges ranging from 3.75 inches to 6.5 inches thick. It is also durable and Vive provides a lifetime warranty.
For those who are worried about installation, you will be happy to note that you don’t even require tools during installation. The rail uses a lever mechanism for securing the bathtub rail in its place.
Anyone who needs the best bathtub bars for seniors should definitely look for it.
- Provides the best stability
- Scratch resistant
- Fits most bathrooms
- Easy to install
- Lifetime warranty
- Design style
5. Vaunn Medical Adjustable Grab Bar
- BATHROOM SAFETY - The Vaunn Medical Bathtub Safety Rail provides support for individuals getting in and out of the bathtub – ensuring safety and preventing injuries or falls. (Note: Most falls happen when seniors get in or out of the bathtub.)
- SECURE CONSTRUCTION- Padded rubber clamp with strong locking mechanism allows rail to securely clamp on to the side of the tub. Heavy-duty, one-piece steel frame guarantees a firm, non-shaky grip. Durable construction supports individuals up to 300lbs.
- CUSTOMIZED FIT & TOOL-FREE ASSEMBLY– Width adjustable clamp allows tub rail to fit securely on any tub wall (3”-7” thick). Easy installation, no tools required. Tub rail will not leave unsightly marks or dents on the surface of the tub. Note: Not intended for use on fiberglass surfaces.
What you will love about Medical Adjustable Bathtub Safety Rail is that it has a modern design. Its construction features a stainless steel frame with a powder coating. Since it has a smooth white color, it blends well with your bathroom décor.
Again, it has a lightweight design which makes it easy to move to another bathroom when you want to install it in a different bathroom.
Another thing that makes it great for seniors is that it is specially designed to support you when getting in and out of the bathroom. This means that it prevents injuries or falls. In addition, it has a well-padded rubber clamp which features a strong locking mechanism. As a result, the rail locks the clamp securely on the side of the tub.
The adjustable clamp enables the tub rail to fit perfectly on any rub wall with a thickness of 3-7 inches. In terms of installation, you will be happy to note that it is very easy to install and you won’t require to use any tools.
You will also find that it has ambidextrous design which makes it easy to use for left and right handed seniors.
Lastly, the tub rail does not leave any dents or marks on the tub’s surface. However, you should not install it on fiberglass surfaces.
- Secure construction
- Provides excellent support
- Customized fit
- Modern and compact design
- Portable and lightweight
6. Chaining Lifestyles Grab Bar
- Note: This is a suction cup device and as such must be applied to smooth, flat, non-porous surfaces, cannot cover grout lines and will not work on textured surfaces. Must be reattached before each use, and cannot hold full body weight
- Simply press the tab levers to securely attach
- Can be used on shower walls too. Shower safety bar has textured rubber for enhanced grip
If you are searching for the best suction grab bar for seniors, these grab bars will be a fantastic option. It has an elegant design and the major selling point of this grab bar is that it is FDA cleared for safety. It is very strong and can support up to 250 lbs. Installation takes about 10 seconds.
In addition, you will find that it has a non-slip surface. You will find that the underside features finger grips to enhance safety and security.
The two suction cups are very strong and they work on any non-porous or flat surface which includes glass, acrylic, fiberglass and tile. It is specially made for seniors handicap and toddlers since it provides maximum stability when getting in and out of the shower.
Another incredible thing about it is that it comes with a free shower sponge which helps to create a rich lather with just a small amount of soap.
- Very sturdy and secure
- Stylish design
- Non-slip grip
- FDA Approved
- Tool free installation
- Free shower sponge
- Poor suction
- Pops off easily
7. Moen R7418 Grab Bar
- COORDINATING FINISH: Stainless finish delivers a lightly brushed warm grey metallic look
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 500 lbs when installed in a stud or when using SecureMounts (not included)
- SAFE AND SECURE: Optional SecureMount design for easy, secure installation (sold separately)
For more than 80 years, Moen has been producing quality products ranging from kitchen & bathroom faucets and bathroom accessories. Moen R7418 is among the best grab bars for seniors on the market. What makes it unique is the sturdy construction. Unlike others, it supports up to 500 lbs when you install it in a stud.
Additionally, it has a secure mount design which provides a secure installation. Another thing is that it is very durable. It is also backed by a lifetime warranty which proves that it is a quality product. In term of design, it is very attractive since it has a stainless steel finish. You will also find that the price is very decent. Lastly, it is ADA compliant.
- Made by a reputable brand
- Very sturdy
- Safe and secure
- Built to last
- Lifetime warranty
- Installation tricky
8. Moen LR2356DCH Grab Bar with Built-In-Shelf
- VERSATILE DESIGN: Chrome finish is highly reflective for a mirror-like look that works with any decorating style
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 250 lbs
- SUPPORTIVE DESIGN: Bathroom grab bar supports up to 500 lbs when installed in a stug or when using SecureMounts (not included)
The most outstanding thing about this grab bar is its excellent design which features an inbuilt shelf for convenient storage. This tray can be removed for easy cleaning. You will also find that it has a secure mount design which makes it easy to install. Again, you can install it at any angle.
In terms of appearance, you should note that it comes with three different finishes which includes a brushed nickel finish, a rich-oil rubbed bronze finish and a mirror-like chrome finish.
The chrome finish features a reflective mirror like quality which gives your bathroom a modern look.
It has a length of 16 inches and its curved design enables it to accommodate different sizes of hands. You should also note that it is made of a long lasting stainless steel material. This material is rustproof and corrosion resistant. It supports up to 250 pounds. Besides that, it has a lifetime warranty which covers finish defects, leaks and drips.
- Features an inbuilt soap tray
- Long lasting
- Supports up to 250 lbs
- Beautiful finish
- Lifetime warranty
- Not secure enough
9. Bathroom Grab Bar by Dr. Maya
- DO-IT-YOURSELF HANDRAIL - This bathtub safety support bar attaches to any flat non-porous surface such as tile, acrylic and glass. It does not work with natural stone, porous tile, 4X4 tile or wall board. Note: If you have difficulty getting your bathtub support bar to stay in place it could mean air is seeping into the suction cups. To get a better seal, put water or petroleum jelly on the tile or the suction cups. We also recommend reattaching the handrail every two days.
- TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION – To install the Dr. Maya shower handle simply press the suction cups against a clean, flat, wet surface and flip the locking latches to secure them in place. Don’t place the suction cups over grout lines or gaps – a flat, solid surface is required for proper adherence. Also, remember water or petroleum jelly can help secure a more firm seal.
- NON-SLIP GRIP – Dr. Maya’s bath support handle features a non-slip grip that is ideal for seniors, elderly, handicapped, disabled, toddlers and other children. This tub support bar is great for post-surgery recovery and for preventing injury. It can even make a great foot rest for when you need to shave your legs in the shower!
The first thing you will love about this grab bar is its beautiful appearance. Apart from the design, it comes with sturdy suction cups and uses locking latch technology which provides the best sticking power. To ensure that seniors are safe when using it, it has a non-slip surface. It provides excellent grip and keep your hands where they should be.
Another thing you will love about this suction grab bar is that it is very easy to install. Unlike others, this one doesn’t require drilling or any tools during installation.
You just need to flip the latches to secure it firmly in its place. You can also install it on a flat porcelain, plastic, or a smooth surface. Since it doesn’t require permanent installation, you can move with it wherever you want.
It also comes with a bath sponge, shower ball, pouf, face or bath scrubber. The sponge works perfectly with any soap or shower gel. A hanging thread is also included which allows you to hang it conveniently to dry.
- Easy installation
- Non-slip grip
- Reduces risk of injury
- Beautiful design
- Comes with a free shower sponge
- Smooth surface for suction
10. Tesuchan Grab Bar with Anti Slip Grip
The most impressive thing about this shower handle is that it has an anti-slip grip which gives you excellent grip. You will also find that it has a raised detail design which also enhances the level of anti-slip to ensure that you are safe. Since it is made of a stainless steel material, it means that it is durable and maintains its stylish look for many years.
Another thing you will find in this grab bar is the curved round base. This gives it an ergonomic design and it makes you comfortable when you are holding it. The base also prevents you from falling due to its safe and stable design.
In terms of installation, it has a screw-reinforced installation which makes it easy to install. Whether you are searching for a perfect grab bar for shower, door, stairs, bedroom or anywhere else, this one will be a great option.
- Long lasting
- Ergonomic design
- You can install it anywhere
- Enhances your stability
Why Use Grab Bars?
Elderly people are likely to fall on slippery surfaces such as the bathroom since they are not very strong. This is very dangerous and can lead to serious health problems like fractures, bedsores and other form of injuries.
Due to fear, they feel unsafe to use the bathroom especially when they do not have someone to support them. To enhance their safety, shower bars will be great since they can use them to support themselves. They are made of durable and sturdy materials to guarantee safety.
Another benefit of shower handles for elderly is that they allow them to do various things on their own without human support. The good thing about grip bars is that they are very versatile and you can install them on various parts of your home where seniors will be spending most of their time.
Consider Before You Buy
When buying bathroom bars for elderly, you need to be very careful to ensure that you have picked a sturdy and reliable product. This means that you need to only look for the best. Below are some of the things that should guide you when buying.
- Safety– The major reason why people buy bath handles for elderly is to enhance safety. This means that you need to ensure that the one you have picked have safety features like non-slip surfaces.
- Material -The most common materials used in the production of shower bars include, chrome, stainless steel, and other metals. Stainless steel shower bars are the most preferred because they are not only safe but are also durable.
- Style- Bathroom grab bars comes with different styles and design. Before you buy, it is good to compare different products to determine the one that suits your bathroom most. A stylish grab like any of those we have reviewed in this article is the best since it gives your bathroom a modern look.
- Weight– When buying, you will find that shower bars for seniors have a limited weight capacity they support. You should look for one that supports maximum weigh capacity. A good one should be able to support a weight of 300 lbs to 500 lbs.
- Installation – It is good to consider where you will be installing the grab bar. Doing this will allow you to pick the right shape and size that will fit the specific area. You also need to know that not all surfaces support these devices. This means that you should confirm that the one you have picked can be installed in your home.
- Types of grab bars- Before buying, you need understand the different types of shower handles for elderly available today. The most common ones are;
- Residential grab bars– What makes residential grab bars to be the most popular is because they have a versatile design. This means that you can install them either vertically or horizontally or at any angle in the shower. Installing just one grab bar in the shower is not the best idea. Instead, you should install one near the entrance of the shower then another one along the side and the other one by the faucet handle.
- Suction grab bars – These ones have a unique design and are very popular due to their portability. Unlike others, they are not permanently installed. This means that you won’t need to patch the drywall or drill holes when installing it. Instead, they are attached to surfaces with large suction cups. The only problem with these suction grab bars is that they cannot be installed on painted tiles or the small tiles that are found in the traditional bathrooms. Again, you cannot install them on a porous surface or drywall. Bathroom Grab Bar by Dr. Maya is one of the top rated suction grab bars you can find on the market.
- Creative integrated grab bars– These ones are very easy to indentify because they have additional features like a soap holder, toilet paper holder and towel bar. Moen LR2356DCH is a perfect choice for anyone in need of the best creative integrated grab bars. They are among the most fashionable bathroom handles on the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best grab bar for seniors?
Determining the best bathroom bars for seniors is not easy since they are so many on the market. However, AmeriLuck Stainless Steel Bath Grab Bar ADA 500lbs has amazing features which sets it apart from other models. It is stylish, durable and very supportive.
What other items must I buy to enhance safety in the bathroom?
A bathroom grab bar is not enough to guarantees safety. You will also need to invest in non-slip shower mats like these to prevent sliding and shower chairs for the elderly to enhance support. The good thing is that they all come with affordable prices which means that they won’t drain your pockets.
Are suction grab bars safe?
Suction bars are among the most popular types of grab bars. However, they have some limitations. For example, you can only install them on a non-porous or a flat surface. If you need a good suction shower bar for the elderly, Greenchief Suction Grab Bar 2 Pack -12” is the best.
What height should grab bars be installed?
In most cases, grab bars are installed 33-36 inches high from the floor. However, you can install them according to the demands of the user.
Shower grab bars are among the most important bathroom accessories you should have. One of the major challenges seniors face is limited mobility. Remember they may need a cane or walker to assist them.
Again, they may not be strong enough to support themselves when taking a shower. Shower handles make the bathroom safe for everyone since they are not only meant for seniors and the handicapped.
Since we don’t want you to waste your money on a low quality grab bar, we decided to search the best products for you. All those we have mentioned in this guide are the most durable, stylish, stable, affordable and are the easiest to install. Don’t forget to check their rating from the links we have shared.
Apart from the grab bars, you will also need to look for non-slip shower mats and shower chairs for seniors. Even if they are all cheap, all these products will really guarantee maximum safety in the bathroom. They also save you from heavy medical expenses that you might incur in case of accidents in the bathroom.