Finding the right cane for balance is very important. Whether you are recovering from surgery, or in need of mobility support as a senior, it is important to find the right one that fits you.
Over 5 million canes are used in the US based on data from the National Institute of Health. And the number will increase as our Baby Boomers get older. Isn’t it important to find you the right cane?
Top Canes For Balance
For whatever reason you need a cane, we have done the research and found these styles as our top picks. Hopefully one of these will fit your needs.
1. HurryCane Freedom Edition Folding Cane with T Handle
- Folding Cane: Cutting-edge, patented technology allows the HurryCane, the #1 selling walking cane for men and women in America, to feel like a seamless extension of the body
- Exclusive Technology: Our walking canes for men and women are equipped with innovative SteadiGrip stabilizing technology that increases traction and improves balance indoors and out
- Adjustable Height: Customize the fit of this 4-prong cane by adjusting the handle height setting between 30.5" and 37.5"; Base size: 3.5”, folded size: 13.7”
The HurryCane Freedom offers you just that, freedom. With its steady grip technology, this cane can support up to 350 pounds.
What we love about this cane is its four-prong adjustable height to customize your fit. The handle height can go between 30.5” and 37,5”. And the base size is 3.5”. When folded it is 13.7”.
- Folding Cane
- Adjustable height
- 350 pound capacity
- Steady grip technology
- Aluminum shaft
- Comes in red, black, blue or purple
2. KingGear Adjustable Can for Men or Women
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND STURDY - Lightweight and sturdy cane with an offset shape that provides excellent support for the wrist. Weighs only 0.7 pound with a 250 pound weight capacity. Also come with replacement bigger tip.
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT - Handle height adjustable from 31"-36" (approximate user height 4'9" - 6'4")
- DOCTOR RECOMMENDED - KingGear collaborated with doctors and scientists while developing our premium walking cane! We provide you with a elderly crutch you can use to safely walk around confidently! Stop falling and lean on KingGear to help make your life safer & easier!
The KingGear is often recommended by medical professionals due to its rubber quad base. It has an ergonomic design, height adjustable, and a comfort grip for your hand. Additionally, it comes with a wrist strap.
At 1.21 pounds, this cane is one of the lightest. We like the aluminum frame and alloy finish. And you can pick the color that fits your personality; red, black, blue or purple.
KingGear offers a 30 day money back guarantee which says a lot about their company.
- Aluminum shaft
- User height 4’9” to 6’4”
- Slip resistant
- 250 pound capacity
- 100% satisfaction
- Rubber quad base
- Comes in red, black, blue or purple
3. BigAlex Folding Cane with LED Light
- Built-in LED:There is a built-in “head light” with a LED at the end of the handle,and is very easy to use day and night.
- Adjustable Height:You can adjust this cane from 30’’ to 35’’ (suitable for people 4’10’’ to 5’8’’) by pushing in the silver button.
- Anti-slip base and firm: The cane stands by itself,It's well-supported and balanced.The bottom of the cane was helpful in navigating the uneven surfaces of the city.
We love the idea of a built-in light for a cane as well as offered great balance and support. The BigAlex fit this requirement. Plus it folds.
Having a light on the handle of your cane will come in handy for those restaurants with low lighting, middle of the night bathroom breaks or dimly lit hallways. Whatever the dark space is, a cane with a light is always a good idea.
In addition to the light, the can can be folded to tuck away when needed. The base has a 360-degree rotation which is hard to find in canes.
This rotation acts like an ankle, taking on the perons’ weight, allowing the cane to move with you, but also keenly offer balance support.
- Led Light built in handle
- Pivot quad
- Offered in two heights 4’10’’ to 5’8’ or 5’5” to 6’3”
- Lightweight at 12 oz
- Ergonomic handle
- 300 pound capacity
- Quad rubber replacements available
4. Nova Designer Cane
- BEAUTIFUL, LIGHTWEIGHT & ADJUSTABLE walking cane has an offset handle design that provides optimal support and comfort for the arm and wrist. Adjusts from 28” - 39” for approximate user height: 4’11” - 6”4”. Weighs only 1 pound with a 300 lb weight capacity
- 32 STYLES to choose from for women and men
- COMFORTABLE FOAM HAND GRIP comes with a convenient carrying strap
With over 30 styles to choose from, this cane reminds me of my reading glasses I have throughout the house. I love different styles to fit my mood and personality. Why not do the same with a cane.
If you want a can for the Fourth of July, they got one. If you want one that looks like wood, they have one. If you want a plain black one with a rubber handle, they have one.
Other noteworthy features include height adjustment to support people from 4’11” – 6”4”.
The aluminum frame makes the cane super light.
And it comes with a brass button to adjust the height and an anti-rattle check spot near the bottom. The base is one rubber stop which can be replaced over time if needed.
- 32 colors and styles to choose from
- One base rubber stop
- Wrist strap
- Black model offers rubber grip
- Offset design to help with balance and reduce impact
- Aluminum metal shaft
- Foam hand grip
5. New Dynamo Prime Stick
- BEST VERTICAL POSTURE CANE FOR ULTIMATE STABILITY AND CONTROL! Prime Stick is like no ordinary cane. It is premium quality and highly functional. It is built to last.
- DYNAMO PRIME STICK – ONE SIZE FITS ALL – This urban walking cane is for those who want to walk upright with confidence & have somewhere to go! Its’ features make it the most - comfortable, stable, and versatile. The foam covered, all-terrain/weather design won’t rust or rattle. It’s strong and beautiful!
- SUPERIOR TRACTION INDOORS OR OUTDOORS – Cyclone Cane provides greater traction on smooth surfaces such as, laminate, tile floors or hardwood tile floors and superior stability on uneven surfaces such as sand, grass, sand, gravel, or carpets. This like no ordinary cane. It is premium quality and highly functional. It is built to last.
For those that prefer a walking stick, the Dynamo Prime Stick has a new look and feel as if it was made for you.
The grip is made with EVA foam and comes with a wrist strap. The foam grip is the length of the stick, allowing you comfort no matter where you hold it. The urban cane is for those who want support, feel confident and be versatile.
When it comes to tips, this one has you covered with its All-Terrain Cyclone Tip. It is a foot-like tip that is made for all types of terrain and weather conditions. As the cane hits the ground, the shock is absorbed, which dampens the impact on your joints.
- Cyclone tip
- Aluminum metal shaft
- Vertical grip with wide adjustable wrist strap
- One size fits all
- Vertical posture and balance support cane
- Anti-slip, anti-water tip
How Do You Know When You Need A Cane For Balance?
The answer to the question of how you will know that you need a cane for balance varies greatly. If your doctor has suggested you use one, then that answers the question.
Some other instances you would find using a cane for balance helpful include:
- In the aftermath of a knee surgery
- After suffering a stroke
- If poor balance makes you feel insecure when walking.
- In managing lower extremity fractures
- If you have arthritis or a disability
- If walking up/down the stairs is a challenge
You can also contact your doctor before picking a walking cane just to be sure.
Pairing a cane with comfortable shoes is also important. This way your feet are supported as much as you support your legs with a cane.
What we love about canes today is how far they have come from my grandpa’s traditional wood cane. Today the grips have foam to support the grip, ergonomic handles, and quad tips to absorb the weight and support your balance.
Whether you need a cane for outdoor walking, stability needs, or recovery from surgery, we hope our selection of options fits your needs.