Are you looking to discover which is the best razor for elderly men? This expert review of the best razors for seniors break down all of the top options.
Not many manufacturers design razors specifically for elderly men. Rather, a good understanding of how razors work plus the various features of every model has enabled us to come up with this review of the best razors for elderly men.
Table of Contents
Top Razors for Elderly Men
Elderly men need their razors to be safe, gentle on the skin, convenient, and effective against all kinds of hair. The majority of men use electric shavers for this reason.
Here are some razors that we feel are the best for seniors.
1. Braun Series 5 5140S Electric Foil Shaver – Best Overall
Braun makes some of the best electric razors in the world, and that is the same deluxe quality and reliability you can expect from the Braun Series 5 5440S.
It is a foil shaver, which means that you can use it not only on stubble but also on longer beards or hair.
What makes it the best razor for seniors is its safety and convenience. It has an auto-sensing motor that adjusts depending on the thickness of the beard to maintain optimum shaving.
The head can flex in eight directions to maintain the best angle with the skin for effortless shaving. This allows it to go round the contours of your face easily without you paying much attention to technique.
It comes with an additional precision side trimmer for tracing out sideburns, mustaches, and beard lines.
The Braun 5 series battery lasts for 50 minutes before needing a recharge. It takes up to two hours to recharge, but you can also use it while it is plugged in.
- Skin sensitive motor for efficient and safe shaving.
- Waterproof up to 5 meters, so you can use it for both dry and wet shaving.
- Efficient foil cutting technology with up to 30,000 cross-cutting actions per minute.
- Durable; designed to last for more than 7 years.
- Flexing head keeps in contact with the skin at every angle.
- Cleaning center included.
- The foil and trimmer might need regular replacement if you have a thick beard.
With all of its safety and convenience features, the Braun Series 5 5140S will cost you a good amount.
2 Braun Electric Razor Series 9 9290cc – Best Premium Razor
The Braun Series 9 is the #1 premium razor for elderly men because it is exceptionally gentle on the skin and delivers seamless shaving capability.
It features an intelligent auto-sensing motor that reacts in real-time to the density of your beard and face contours. That allows it to give the best cut in just one pass.
For skin protection, it causes 10000 sonic vibrations per minute that allow it to glide smoothly over your skin. Not only is in gentle, but it also stimulates blood flow and cell regeneration.
It features a Lithium-ion battery with extended longevity. Assuming that you take 5 minutes of shaving each day, one full charge can easily last you a month.
It also includes 5 synchronized shaving elements. These include 2 middle trimmers and 2 Opti foils.
- Very gentle on skin.
- Efficient, cuts up to 0.05mm in one pass.
- Extended battery life.
- Rustproof, with durable stainless steel components.
- Waterproof for wet shaves.
- Auto-Sensing motor for safety.
- Includes 2 middle trimmers that make is perfect even for long beards.
- Very expensive.
- It lacks speed controls.
This is the world’s best electric razor, so you have to be ready to pay the price.
3. Philips Norelco Multigroom, Series 3000 – Best Budget Option
The Philips Norelco Multigroom is our top pick for the best budget razor for elderly men. It is a true jack of all trades, with 13 attachments to help it fulfill all your grooming needs. For all that, you pay only about $20.
The Norelco Multigroom also happens to be the #1 best-selling trimmer. Its blades are self-sharpening, and it requires no oil to maintain performance.
Shaving performance is also great, with its Dual-Cut technology to ensure a close cut.
Among its many attachments, you have a full-size trimmer, a precision trimmer, nose and ear hair trimmer, 3 hair trimming guards, and 3 beard trimming guards. All are made of stainless steel for durability and ease of cleaning.
The Norelco Multigroom has a Lithium-ion battery that provides 60 minutes of continuous power. It the battery is flat, 5 minutes of charging gives you enough power for one shave.
When it comes to durability, this shaver is unbeatable. It will likely outlive anything else you might have.
- Great versatility, perfect not only for beards but also for full-body grooming.
- Stainless steel attachments for easy cleaning.
- Minimal maintenance required.
- Dirt cheap, compared to other models here.
- Works for all types of hair.
- Some models have a problem with the on/off button.
- It lacks skin sensitive features.
When you’re buying a budget product, you expect to make some compromises on quality. The only thing that this Norelco Multigroom razor lacks is the precision of higher models.
4. Panasonic Electric Shaver and Trimmer
For the men who want a good balance of economy with functionality, the Panasonic Arc 4 is a superb option. It combines some of the best premium features such as a pivoting head, a 60-minute battery life, and a beard density sensor.
The Arc 4 makes use of 4 ultra-sharp precision Nanotech blades for a superior shaving performance. It also has a super-thin ARC foil to cut hair follicles as close to the skin as possible.
This 2-1 razor has a built-in pop-up trimmer for use when detailing your mustache, beard, or sideburns.
It is also a wet/dry shaver, which means that it is completely waterproof. You can choose to shave while in the shower or tub without water getting inside.
It’s high-performance motor outputs about 13000 cuts per minute. Courtesy of its Linear Drive feature, it maintains power up the time when the battery dies.
Speaking of which, the battery has an LCD indicator to show battery capacity and remaining charge in real-time. The battery lasts for 60 minutes on a full charge or about 14 shaves.
- Pivoting head follows face contours accurately.
- The sensor automatically adjusts speed.
- Good battery life.
- Precision cutting with ultrathin ARC foils.
- It does not do very well with long beards.
- You cannot use it while it is still plugged into an outlet.
The Panasonic Arc 4 is the best combination of functionality with affordable pricing.
5. Remington F5 5800
Remington makes the most powerful razors, and that is what you want if you have thick, coarse hair. The Remington F5 5800 is more powerful than many corded models, which makes shaving fast and easy.
It makes use of Intercept shaving technology, which means that a third trimmer blade pre-trims the longer hairs before the main coils can come in for a close shave. It helps to prevent irritation to the skin and gives you a smooth close shave.
The entire razor head has a pivot on which it moves according to your face contours. Paired with the Flex Foil technology, these two serve to keep the shaving head as close to your skin as possible.
It also features a pop-up detail trimmer that you can use to trace the edges of your beard or mustache. It gives you precision edges for a polished finishing touch to your shave.
The Remington F5-800 is also unique in that you can use it while plugged in. It also has a rechargeable battery, but in case you forget to charge it then you don’t need to worry.
- It gives a smooth close shave courtesy of its powerful motor.
- It can be used while charging.
- Intercept shaving technology for longer hairs.
- Washable head, easy cleaning.
- Durable build.
- Includes a detail trimmer and a LED battery indicator.
- The foil will need to be replaced every 3 months or so to maintain proper operation.
- It might take multiple passes to get the small grey hairs.
We think that the Remington F5-800 is the best foil shaver for seniors due to its powerful operation.
6. Philips Norelco Shaver 9000 Prestige – Best Rotary Razor
As Philip’s best shaver and the most expensive, the Norelco 9000 Prestige is truly a prestigious electric shaver from the renowned company. It offers the most advanced features to deliver the closest shave while maintaining skin comfort.
To start with, it features precision rotary blades strengthened with nanoparticles. They are then covered with comfort rings around each blade so that the razor glides over your skin while giving you a close shave.
It features contouring heads that can move in 8 different directions. These keep in tune with the curves and corners on your face to give you the best shave quality.
It also has a BeardAdapt sensor, which checks the density of your beard 15 times per second and adjusts the shaving head and razors accordingly.
For power, it has Lithium-ion rechargeable battery that delivers 60 minutes of runtime which could take you up to a month. It also has an LED level indicator.
When you’re done shaving, finish your beard and sideburn profiles with a click-on precision trimmer. In case you’re traveling, you will also get a premium travel case to hold your favorite razor.
- 8-directional shaving head delivers unmatched shaving quality.
- NanoTech precision blades for smooth cutting.
- Completely waterproof so that you can shave wet or dry.
- The premium battery delivers power even below half capacity.
- Durable, stylish build.
- Comfortable trimmer attachment.
- Very expensive.
- It doesn’t come with a stand for storage.
The Philips Norelco 9000 Prestige is one of the top rotary shavers.
7. FLYCO Electric Razor Rotary Shaver
If you want a high-quality shave with a good rotary shaver without having to pay an exorbitant amount for it, they Flyco Rotary Shaver is for you. It offers a smooth and gentle shaving experience, and you can buy it at a fraction of the price of the name brand models.
It features 3 floating heads that can move in 4 individual directions in response to your face contours. That enables the Flyco to maintain contact with your skin and give you a close shave.
It is waterproof so that you can use it for wet and dry shaving. You can not only shave under running water such as in the shower, but you can wash the entire device after shaving.
Charging is easy thanks to its universal USB charging cable. You can connect it to a power bank, computer, or even your car charger for use on the go. It charges fast – full charge in one hour gives 90 minutes runtime.
It allows you to shave while it is still connected to a power source, and special anti-dip technology keeps the battery supplying peak power even when it’s running low.
It also features a high-quality design and comes with a premium carry case.
- Versatile and convenient charging options, especially if you travel a lot.
- Long-lasting battery with anti dip technology.
- IPX7 waterproofing, which means that it can hold up to heavy splashing and rain.
- Fast and efficient shaving, leaves the skin smooth.
- It comes with a detailed instruction manual, which is perfect for beginners.
- Not as many RPMs per minute as premium shavers, but not many complaints as it still delivers a good close shave.
- The On/Off button is in the middle near the head, so you may find yourself turning it off by accident as you shave.
You don’t have to buy name brand models with inflated prices. Upcoming brands like Flyco can give you similar or better functionality for better prices.
8. Braun Series 7 790cc Electric Razor for Men
The Braun Series 7 range is even more popular than their flagship Series 9 (as of 2020). Apart from a few differences in the technology involved, you will find it gives a stellar shave and costs about half the price of the Series 9.
We liked the Series 7 790cc better because of its ability to deal with both long and short hairs.
First, it features an ActiveLift feature that lifts flat hairs so that the cutting blades can have an easier job. This is great for those with curly beards, and it means that even if you have a few days’ worth of growth, you can still cut it fast and easily.
It also features the advanced Intelligent Sonic Technology found in Braun premium models. It works by increasing motor power when shaving particularly dense areas so that you barely feel the difference.
Shaving quality is flawless with the Braun Series 7 790cc, thanks to the OptiFoil technology. It allows the razor to cut hair as short as 0.05mm to the skin without irritating or nicking it.
Like all Braun’s high-end razors, it is also fully waterproof. It can handle wet shaves, shaving in the shower, and the occasional dunk in the sink to clean it.
- First-class shaving quality.
- Your skin barely feels it.
- 100% waterproof.
- It comes with an alcohol-based clean and charge station.
- Li-ion battery for cordless shaving, with 50 minutes of runtime.
- 5 personal shaving modes.
- The Series 7 is getting phased out, which means that replacement blades are had to find.
- It lacks a travel lock.
The Braun Series 7 790cc has been around since 2010 and has since been the most recommended electric shaver in the world.
9. Wahl Professional 5-Star Series
Wahl is easily the most recognizable names when it comes to hair grooming products, so it would be amiss if it didn’t have a product in the top 10.
To begin with, this is a product for those who know what they are doing. It is a product for professionals, so it doesn’t with all the frills you find in the other deluxe models. What is does is trim beards well.
It features a two-blade design that cuts the hair follicles extremely close to the skin, providing an ultra-smooth shave.
While it is aggressive, it has a hypoallergenic gold foil so that even the most sensitive skin will not get irritated. Used properly, you will not even have to suffer bumps.
It comes with a Ni-Cad battery which provides peak operating power through its 60-minute runtime.
- Shaves close to the skin, comparable to what you get with a cartridge razor.
- Easy to clean.
- The battery doesn’t fade while it runs.
- Very affordable compared to other premium brands.
- Highly durable.
- If used properly, it eliminates irritation and bumps.
- It takes quite a learning curve to get used to.
- It lacks a trimmer.
If you have a steady hand and know your way around angles and pressure and things like that, there is nothing better you can ask for than the Wahl 5-Star Series 8061.
10. Panasonic Arc5 Electric Razor
The Panasonic Arc5 is the best mid-range electric razor for elderly men. It delivers premium shaving with skin-friendly technology.
It features Arc5 technology consisting of 5 ultra-sharp blades honed with Nanotech technology. These provide one of the closest shaves.
Its multi-flex pivoting head glides over the skin and around facial contours to maintain contact with the skin even when used by unsteady hands. A built-in shaving sensor monitors beard density and adjusts cutting power and speed.
Its high-performance linear motor does 14000 cuts or 70000 cross-cutting actions per minute. At peak power, it cuts through thick beards effortlessly in one pass.
It is completely waterproof and allows for both dry and wet shaving. However, its battery lasts for about 40 minutes before needing a recharge.
- 5 bladed cutting technology is powerful and efficient.
- Beard density sensor.
- Powerful motor.
- Allows for wet shaves.
- It comes with foils for sensitive skin, a travel pouch, and a pop-up trimmer.
- It may feel aggressive to those with sensitive skin.
- Big shaving head makes maneuvering tricky.
The Panasonic Arc 5 is a powerful little electric shaver. If you have been having problems with a thick heavy beard or a thick skin, and feel the difference.
Electric razors are generally the best kind for elderly men. They are easy to use and convenient and are quite forgiving if the user has shaky hands. See the Dos and Donts of using an electric shaver here.
You can choose foil or rotary razors depending on your facial hair. If yours is thin and soft, a rotary shaver will be better. If it is thick and dense, a foil razor should do the job.
- Skin sensitivity
Consider from experience how sensitive your skin is. The more premium brands like the Braun Series 9 are more forgiving to ultra-sensitive skin, but you pay more. If yours is tough, save your money and go for cheaper ones like the Remington or the Arc5.
The price of an electric shaver is a major indicator of quality. You should be willing to hit at least $70 for good quality unless you’re really on a budget.
If you prefer wet shaves, you should make sure you buy one that is waterproof. Most of the high-end models are. For dry shaves, pretty much any electric razor can do that.
- Is there an electric shaver that shaves as close as a blade?
Yes. Electric shaving technology has improved vastly over the years, with models such as the Wahl 5 or the Arc 5 giving almost similar shaves to a razor.
- What is better between a foil and a rotary razor?
This is purely a matter of preference and the type of facial hair you have. Rotary razors are smoother and easier to use, but foil razors work better with tough beards.
- Is it better to shave wet or dry with an electric razor?
It is normally advised to shave dry with a razor, against the grain. However, if you prefer shaving wet, you can do that too. Just make sure your shaver can handle wet shaving.
- Do you use shaving cream with an electric razor?
You can use shaving cream, powder or gel with an electric razor. It makes it a bit harder to clean, but ultimately it makes it easier to shave and leaves your skin better.
- Is an electric shaver better than a razor?
Not really; it all depends on your technique with a razor. A razor is still the best way to trim your beard if you know how to use one. However, for elderly who may not have fine motor skills, an electric razor is the only viable option.
A lot happens as you get older. As a man, your skin and beard also change which prompts a change in shaving equipment, styles, and techniques. These are 10 of the best razors for seniors so that you can get back control over your grooming.