The incontinence supplies for seniors that you choose to use are an important part of your day. Although these products are different in one way or another, most of them provide unique levels of absorbency. Some of these products are affordable and re-usable, as well.
As we age, incontinence may be something that we may have to deal with. Luckily, there are a lot of supplies and products that will help you to deal with such a situation. Take a look at seven best incontinence supplies for seniors that will give you or your loved ones the best experience.
Top Incontinence Supplies For Seniors
When looking for for the right incontinence supplies, we’ve got you covered. Here are out top picks.
Reusable Bed Pads
A reusable bed pad provides the same benefits, just like disposable pads. However, reusable pads are more economical because you can use them several times. Moreover, reusable bed pads can also eliminate the embarrassing odor of urine.
Using reusable bed pads can eliminate the need for other incontinence products. For instance, there is no need to use mattress protectors or incontinence underwear while you can use a bed pad.
Another great advantage of reusable bed pads is that they can also be used to protect the furniture or even the floor. For example, you can use them on chairs or couches because it dries out quickly.
1. Cardinal Health Reusable Bed Pads 34 x 36 inches. Absorbs 1000 cc
- All New innovative design and Premium RMS underpad offers comfort & waterproof protection, keeps your sheets dry all night with four layers of protection
- 4 layers of protection: Deluxe blended fabric and premium brushed polyester quilted top, soft polyester fiberfill layer, Absorbent inner layer, and Non-slip latex-free waterproof barrier
- Goes over the bottom sheet to protect mattress and sheets from moisture and staining
The key to keeping your mattress dry clean and fresh is by using Invacare reusable bed pads. Not only does it have three added layers for protection but also it is waterproof and has a little extra comfort.
These bed pads are made of a comfy 50% polyester and a 50% cotton surface. Besides, it also features 65% polyester and 35% rayon absorbent material beneath. Lastly, the bottom contains 100% vinyl backed polyester making it completely waterproof.
The cardinal health reusable bed pads are machine washable and dryer friendly. Besides, the materials used to make them are of high quality, so you are assured that they will serve you for a very long time. Their durability and absorbency are what makes them one of the best incontinence supplies for seniors.
The best part about these Invacare bed pads is that they can absorb up to 8 ounces of liquid. Also, they come in 5 different sizes that you can choose from. They have a non-slip backing that allows you to sleep comfortably since you know that they will be in position all the time.
- Highly adaptable
- High absorbency
Briefs are one of the best incontinence supplies for the elderly. They were known as diapers at first, but people now refer them as briefs. Also, it is easy to remove this absorbent underwear because it has a tab on each side. Briefs are best for severe incontinence, and it contains different absorbency levels to match the needs of the patients.
Using adult diapers is one of the best solutions to help with incontinence during the day. They come in all styles, types, and sizes. Besides, these diapers are designed to allow maximum levels of absorbency that adults needs.
Adult diapers help seniors to remain comfortable and dry whether they choose to stay at home or go out in public.
2. Wellness Briefs Original, with NASA Technology, Medium, Pack/20
- FEATURED ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL. The Wellness Absodor orbent Underwear (Pull-Ups) from Unique Wellness are award-winning adult pull-ons that were featured on The Discovery Channel’s “How Stuff Works.” They are designed to provide up to 8 hours of dry protection using NASA-inspired InconTek technology. This innovative technology utilizes a multi-layered system that locks in liquid and pulls it away from the skin—similar in design to those used by astronauts on long missions.
- EASY TO USE. These absorbent pull-ons are designed for adults who have light to moderate incontinence. Although no adult pull-up can be as absorbent as a brief, our absorbent pull-ups provide unprecedented comfort and protection. The Wellness Absorbent Underwear (Pull-Ups) are a successful alternative to briefs for daytime or nighttime use.
- LIQUISTAY TECHNOLOGY. Designed with Liquistay technology, the Wellness Absorbent Underwear (Pull-Ups) lock urine and odors into a separate layer—pulling liquid away from the skin. This technology allows for easy removal and reapplication.
This is the most absorbent brief that you can get your hands on today. It will give any adult the confidence and comfort that they need when deciding on their daily activities. Besides, these unique wellness adult diapers reduce landfill use by more than 70% because it requires minimal changes.
Wellness briefs are among the best environmentally friendly briefs that you can find on the market. Besides that, these diapers following NASA’s principles like ones used to develop maximum absorbency Garments.
The best thing about these wellness briefs is that you are supposed to change them on a schedule. For instance, the schedule lasts for about 8-12 hours. So during this period, you will be confident and comfortable that you are protected thoroughly.
If you desire to maintain an active lifestyle, then you should consider buying these wellness briefs. Quality materials are used to make these briefs so that they cannot tear as you actively use them.
- fastenable tape tabs
- 25oz overnight absorbency
- Space-age technology
- Triple-layered core
- No skin irritation
- Single tab
Overnight underwear is more absorbent compared to a regular daytime diaper. This is because they can hold more liquid, which makes them suitable for use throughout the night. Since most senior people don’t like to leak accidentally or even waking up at night multiple times to change, then overnight underwear is the best choice here.
3. Solimo Incontinence Underwear for both Men and Women, Overnight Absorbency, Extra Large, 48 Count.
- Includes 48 pairs of unisex overnight absorbency incontinence underwear (4 packs of 12)
- Overnight absorbency to quickly lock away wetness
- Dri-Fit helps to control moisture and temperature to help your skin stay dry, comfortable and healthy
If you are looking for an incontinence supply capable of neutralizing and eliminating odor, then you should try solimo underwear. Both men and women can use this product.
As a first time user, you should consider buying the size that you are currently using. Solimo sizes can be compared to Tena and Depend on dimensions.
These solimo overnight underwear also feature dri-fit that helps to control temperature and moisture. Also, these are the conditions that help your skin stay healthy dry, and comfortable. Another great feature in solimo overnight underwear is the top sheet enhanced with cotton. Solimo underwear is designed with high absorbency features that quickly lock away wetness.
This incontinence underwear for men and women offers leakage protection for up to 10 hours. This pack will contain 48 pairs of protective underwear. Also, if you like Tena overnight underwear, you will definitely love this Amazon brand.
- Up to 10 hours of protection
- Odor control
- Cotton enhanced top sheet
- Narrow for some men
Penile Clamp (Incontinence products for men)
This is a product that can be used by adult men with incontinence to manage urine leaks. Also, men that have undergone prostate surgery can use this clamp. The clamp usually contains a soft foam inside and is placed halfway down the shaft. It compresses the urethra when it’s closed in place hence preventing urine from escaping.
A penile clamp is also referred Cunnigham clamp sometimes. As the industry advances, newer clumps are featuring absorbent products to provide extra security. Note that this device is only convenient for special occasions or shorter outings only.
You are supposed to remove this clump to allow urination to occur after every 1-2 hours. However, this device is supposed to be worn for a short period and not the whole 24 hours. Consult a healthcare professional who will give you further advice on how long you should wear this clamp.
The only downside about penile clamps is that they have side effects. For instance, it may cause strictures, skin breakdown, or even swelling. You should follow the instructions to avoid any serious injury.
4. WIESNER Incontinence Penile Clamp – 3 Sizes – Comfort and Confidence All Day Long
- CONFIDENCE BOOSTER! - We Understand how Urinary Incontinence feels, we have a Clever Solution to give you Confidence All Day, Everyday! with our Discreet Device you can go out and have fun without any worries, and get back to your normal life.
- COMFORT LIKE NO OTHER! - "You forget you're actually wearing it!" It's amazing how many comments like this we get. Our patented design allows you to customize the product by selecting different sizes and settings. No Leaks, No Worries!
- WHO'S USING WIESNER? - Some of the most reputable Institutions in the US like the VETERANS ADMINISTRATION and MSKCC (Top 2 Cancer Center in the US) have trusted WIESNER Clamp, it's also the #1 Clamp Recommended by Urologists all over the World!
If you are living with the incontinence condition and want to make your life easier, then buy this Wiesner clamp. Besides, you will be able to do the things that people without incontinence do. For example, sitting for long hours or playing sports.
Wiesner incontinence clamp has an ergonomic design to help you stay comfortable. Also, it has multi-size guides that aid in blood circulation. Using a clamp penile is very cost-effective because it drastically eliminates the need for guards and pads. So you will save a lot of money in the future.
The Wiesner clamps are well made to keep you comfortable as you carry on with other activities. Moreover, they are easy to sanitize and easy to use. You will not even remember that you are wearing them.
The Wiesner clamp is an external device that compresses the urethra in order to control urine leakage. You can wear it daily for any activity because it’s comfortable and very useful.
- Boosts confidence
- Can be used during any activity
- Easy to lock and unlock
- Suitable for short term use only
Kegel Exercisers (Incontinence products for women)
Our senior ladies with incontinence conditions can make use of Kegel exercisers. They can help to strengthen pelvic floor muscles in senior women. This will help you if weak pelvic muscles cause your leakage.
The pelvic floor provides support to crucial organs such as the vaginal canal, bladder, rectum, and uterus. Traditionally, people used to carry out exercises without any devices. However, things are now different; hence you can use devices such as cones, vaginal weights, and kegel balls for this purpose.
To get effective results, you can combine traditional kegel exercises with these devices. So you will be to see the results faster because they will do an effective workout. Strengthening your pelvic floor muscles can help women address severe conditions such as incontinence and prolapse.
5. Intimate Rose Kegel Exercise Weights are Doctor Recommended Pelvic Floor Exercisers
- COMPLETE PELVIC FLOOR FIXER gives you the power to resolve bladder leaks while coughing, sneezing, or running. To prepare for pregnancy or recovery from labor. Prevention of prolapse to avoid surgery. Regain pelvic floor control
- 15 MINUTES A DAY REPLACES 100 KEGELS giving you improved bladder control and restored pelvic floor health. Six weights for beginner through to expert level, packaged in a stylish box to make a perfect gift, luxury velvet pouch and FREE comprehensive e-Book to guide you through the training with exceptional customer support post purchase
- SUPERIOR QUALITY the luxurious feel of the weights allows for perfect fit, easy insertion and optimum muscle contraction to give you results you can track. With backing from pelvic health doctors, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you've made the right decision
Are you looking for incontinence products for women that will give you quick results? Intimate rose kegel exercise weights maybe your best option. For only 15 minutes every day for a few weeks, you will start feeling the difference.
Kegel exercises will strengthen will quickly strengthen your pelvic floor muscles. Moreover, they can be used to tighten the vaginal muscles to boost confidence and for childbirth recovery.
This is one of the most comfortable kegel systems that you will ever come across. Unlike complicated apps phone apps and electronics, intimate rose systems use natural biofeedback. For instance, you will weight begin to slip out if you do the Kegel incorrectly.
Intimate Rose Kegel exercise weights are the most effective pelvic floor exercises and vaginal weights. Furthermore, this product has been designed and recommended by doctors in the American Physical therapy association. Lastly, this product is one of the safest and most easy exercises for women.
- Recommended by doctors
- Used in clinics worldwide
- Dozens of training videos
- BPA-Free Silicone
Some seniors do not like feeling something on top of sheets as they sleep. This problem can be easily handled by using a mattress protector. It refers to a fitted bed pad, which is usually underneath sheets to cover the whole mattress. The mattress will not get wet even when the sheet becomes wet.
6. Gorilla Grip Slip-Resistant Leak Proof Mattress Pad Protector, 52×34, Absorbs 8 Cups, Oeko Tex Certified, Waterproof Bed Wetting Incontinence Cover7
- The Best Pad You'll Ever Own: unique 4 layer design has a soft cotton blend quilted top layer, leak proof inner layers, and our exclusive non skid (non adhesive) backing; pad offers not only unparalleled comfort, but defense against leaks; ideal for adults, children, and pets
- Maximum Absorbency: this hospital grade pad can hold lots of liquid; moisture is quickly absorbed into the pad and dispersed, giving you the comfort and security you need
- Reusable: pad is machine washable and reusable for up to 300 washes
Gorilla grip slip-resistant is the best pad that you can ever buy. It has a four-layer design featuring a quilted top layer of soft cotton blend. Moreover, it also features another leak-proof of inner layers and an exclusive gorilla non-skid backing.
This is a hospital grade pad that will offer you maximum defense against leaks and also unparalleled comfort. Whether you intend to use it for pets, children, or adults, it’s an ideal option.
Another advantage of this mattress protector is that it can be washable. If you buy this product, it will serve you for a minimum of 300 washes with guaranteed absorbency. Also, this product is machine and dryer friendly. It will offer you maximum protection again and again after washing it.
This hospital-grade product can hold liquid of up to 8 cups. Moreover, you can be confident that you will get maximum security and confidence needed because moisture will be quickly absorbed.
There are different sizes available to offer you generous protection and coverage. Please note that this product should not be used with babies, because it can bunch up and present suffocation.
- Holds up to 8 cups of liquid
- Perfect for pets
- Wash up to 300 times
- Great for potty training
- Does not grip well
Disposable Bed Pads
Disposable bed pads are for those seniors that don’t like cleaning their pads. They can cover the whole mattress generally or the area where the elderly people sleeps. However, a new bed pad needs to be used each night and then disposed of in the morning.
Choosing a disposable bed pad is a straightforward process. You only need to select the right size, back sheet, and the desired absorption. Moreover, disposable under pads are found in just any hospital, health clinic, or hospice home.
These pads come in various absorbencies, capacities, and sizes to meet patients’ finances and needs. They are necessary for keeping feces or any form of body liquid, such as urine from damaging the skin — furthermore, they also from staining furniture or soiling bed sheets. Disposable bed pads are one of the essential incontinence supplies for seniors.
7. Disposable Underpad (Blue) 23 X 36, 150/Case
- Made of super absorbent polymer to lock moisture and urine away and quickly turn them into gel.
- Ideal for night time use Ultra large size (30”x36”) for maximum absorption capacity helps protect your beds and bedding overnight from messy leaks and stains.
- Soft and comfortable added woven top layer in addition to back sheet with a fluff filler for premium comfort, No plastic edges Exposed to the skin.
Disposable under pads are vast for any use. For example, they are great for cleaning up messes, puppy training pads, incontinence, and bedwetting. Moreover, these pads come at an affordable price.
You can use these pads to protect chairs, bedding, and many more things. However, this world of deals, disposable blue under pads, is designed for light absorbency needs.
If you want pads for high absorbency needs, then you can opt for the reusable pads.
- Protects chairs, beddings and more
- Great economy underpad
- Great for incontinence
- Best puppy training pads
- Not for heavy absorbency needs
There is no manual when it comes to buying incontinence supplies. Here are a few things we learned along the way.
Super absorbent incontinence supplies for seniors can absorb a lot of urine output. Some of these products contain a superabsorbent core that can pull void away from the skin. I recommend purchasing highly absorbent briefs, underwear, and bed pads.
With highly absorbent products, you will be able to sleep comfortably without the need for any change during the night. Good sleep is essential to the senior people, and super-absorbent products are essential.
A reusable under pad can be an excellent back-up plan
Leaks can happen any time, so using an under pad as a last resort barrier is a good idea. If you have them in place, that means you will not have too much laundering.
Furthermore, you can choose bed pads that feature flaps because you can tuck them. That means they will always stay in place; hence you will be very comfortable as they will remain in place.
A lot of people use under pads on sofas, cars, and even recliners just in case. A reusable under pad will save you money because it’s cheap and can be used several times.
Prioritize Skin Integrity
Skin integrity should not be compromised because its a vital part of incontinence care. Apart from changing soiled liners and briefs, you should always clean and dry private areas gently. This is because repeated exposure to fecal matter and urine can damage sensitive skin.
Improper care can also lead to severe infections, sores, and rashes. So it’s essential to look for incontinence supplies for seniors that feature soft, breathable lining to wick moisture away from the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
Trying to find the right product is hard. Here are a few questions and answers that may help.
Can I get free incontinence pads?
Some GP surgeries and hospitals will prescribe free pads to help manage the incontinence condition. However, this is not the case in some hospitals where you have to pay for these pads. Your nurse, incontinence team, or GP should be able to inform you whether the cost of the pads is covered.
How do I dispose of incontinence pads?
Disposable incontinence pads cannot be reused. Although one may be tempted to reuse them, they will not be effective and may probably start smelling. Moreover, they are made of flammable materials, and so they cannot be dried using heat sources.
After using the pads, fold them in a plastic bag before disposing of them. You can use at least two bags if there is stool in the pad for additional security. Never dispose of pads in a flushable toilet because they can cause it to block.
How often should I change incontinence pads?
It is always advisable to change the incontinence pads as often as possible to protect your skin. So you can change them at least 4-6 times a day. Change the pads when they become wet.
Most of the pads have wetness indicators, so it will be very easy for you to know when you need to change the pads. Moreover, you should always make sure that your pads can cater to your absorbency needs.
Does Insurance cover incontinence supplies?
Unfortunately, for many seniors that are not living in nursing homes, their diapers are not paid for by medicare. Only a few incontinence products are covered, such as catheters.
Most disposable products are largely the financial responsibility of the individual.
How do I get rid of incontinence smell?
There are several things that you can do to minimize incontinence smell. Having less odor in your urine means that you don’t have to worry much in case urinary incontinence leakage occurs.
The first option is drinking enough fluid, which will help to dilute the urine and reduce the concentration of the strong smell. Another option is getting examined for possible urinary infections that can cause this smell. Some incontinence supplies for adults also contain odor-reducing materials.
Other things that you can do are washing bed sheets and clothing often, keeping yourself clean and also using air fresheners. Lastly, you should avoid eating foods like asparagus and coffee, which can give your urine a particular odor.
Incontinence supplies for seniors are supposed to be very comfortable and easy to use. This helps them to carry on with their daily activities without having to worry much about the incontinence condition.
Moreover, these supplies are supposed to make the lives of the seniors as easy as possible. I recommend getting products that have high absorbency rates.
Also, it’s always good to have disposable pads for back up. Remember also to keep yourself clean to avoid any serious conditions.